Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:29 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Talking Eurocharged SLK32 tuning- fixing others issues

Hey guys, pretty cool story...

Every once in a while, we get a car and owner that have been put through hell. This is such a car. It had been passed around from shop to shop to try and figure out why the AFR was very lean, as well as why the car was not running correctly.

The owner made the 10 hour trip down to Texas from Flordia just for us to fix it!

Mods :

1. New Eurocharged ECU Tune
2. Renntech Cams
3. SL55 splitter, ITG filters
4. Custom headers and exhaust, Phanton grip LSD, custom intake
5. Another Vendor Crank Pulley.

Eurocharged ECU programing was not only able to make more power, but the best news was A/F was now 12:1 to 12.2:1. See the dyno below. This is with 18" rims 255 tires.

We added over 22.2 wHP to an existing tune.

LINK

VIDEO

Last edited by loungn14; 05-10-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added graphs
Old 05-10-2011, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
jake can you tell me who owns the car? i need to find him and steal those renntech wheels!!!! i wondered how they would look and im impressed. seriously im trying to build a list of slk32 owners, if you email him my addy i woud appreciate it
Old 05-10-2011, 08:40 PM

SLK32
I know owner of this car and he was led to believe that he had a custom tune on his car and was showed some impressive numbers. If you have been on this board for awhile you maybe able to guess who the charlatan is - he screwed up a number of cars.

This was pre-Eurocharged. He has been complaining about the way his car has been running for a while.

I encouraged him to go to Eurocharged to have his tune updated. As stated he made the 10 hour trip and only had fantastic things to say about Jerry and Team. He loves the job they did on his car and talks about it being a whole new beast. In his opinion the trip was more than worth it.

What is impressive as the job that Eurocharged did is the fact that as lean as this car was running it did not have a catastrophic failure.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by 430
I know owner of this car and he was led to believe that he had a custom tune on his car and was showed some impressive numbers. If you have been on this board for awhile you maybe able to guess who the charlatan is - he screwed up a number of cars.

This was pre-Eurocharged. He has been complaining about the way his car has been running for a while.

I encouraged him to go to Eurocharged to have his tune updated. As stated he made the 10 hour trip and only had fantastic things to say about Jerry and Team. He loves the job they did on his car and talks about it being a whole new beast. In his opinion the trip was more than worth it.

What is impressive as the job that Eurocharged did is the fact that as lean as this car was running it did not have a catastrophic failure.

Running lean will not be catastrophic if your not running it that hard and running decent fuel as well.................

Its not a good idea to run lean, BUT reciprocating aircraft engines at altitude ( above 12,000 feet) run lean all the time and intentionally , NOT just lean and HARD!!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:03 PM

SLK32
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
[/U][/I][/B]

Running lean will not be catastrophic if your not running it that hard and running decent fuel as well.................

Its not a good idea to run lean, BUT reciprocating aircraft engines at altitude ( above 12,000 feet) run lean all the time and intentionally , NOT just lean and HARD!!!!
You are correct but I am under the impression that this car got a decent workout. It was not beat on or run on the track but it was not just cruising down the hwy either. I agree if I am cruising on the hwy with very little load then I will appreciate running lean for fuel economy.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:26 AM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
Damn, I wrote a whole reply to this and when I went to post it said I was not logged in. Anyway... another try.

This is my car. The whole story is that I had Renntech pulley, cams, and ECU and the car was working fine... strong. I wanted to get headers done but the only way was custom. So I took the car to Arizona... had the headers and exhaust made and upgraded the intercooler, adding a remote reservoir. Car was a little stronger but the A/F was too lean. Tried many things to fix it including having Renntech work on it but no luck, still lean. Sent the car to Vadim, he rebuilt the headers and added the custom intake which I think he did a good job of getting done. But the tune was way off. He sent me data showing 12:1 but the car was not running that and the top end was just flat.. the car felt off.

After tiring of it, a friend (430) recommended Eurocharged. I talked to Jerry and decided to drive to Houston from Tallahassee. I can't tell you how happy I am that I did that. The A/F issue is resolved and the car is an absolute beast now. Jerry test drove it when we were done and he said that traction control was flashing through 60 mph on a 95 degree day. It was in the low 90s in the shop when we did the last pulls.

It was so refreshing to finally find someone who know how to tune a car and will talk to you about it. The car has come alive and is completely different now. It was easily worth the 2 days of driving, there and back for me to have the car running well.

Jerry and Eurocharged, thank you so much for the excellent job and I can't give you a high enough recommendation. The car is running great now... I feel like I am finally getting the power out of the mods. I am beyond pleased with the results. I paid much more for the Renntech and Vadim (Power?) tune and the results with Eurocharged are way better. The 22 hp gain is just peak. If you look at the before and after, the average gain is more. The car feels like it picked up much more than 22 hp.

Again, a big thanks to Jerry and Eurocharged and 430 for the recommendation.

The car also has Renntech brakes (brembo) and the monolites which I think are Sachs wheels.

Last edited by SteveL; 05-11-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by SteveL
Damn, I wrote a whole reply to this and when I went to post it said I was not logged in. Anyway... another try.

This is my car. The whole story is that I had Renntech pulley, cams, and ECU and the car was working fine... strong. I wanted to get headers done but the only way was custom. So I took the car to Arizona... had the headers and exhaust made and upgraded the intercooler, adding a remote reservoir. Car was a little stronger but the A/F was too lean. Tried many things to fix it including having Renntech work on it but no luck, still lean. Sent the car to Vadim, he rebuilt the headers and added the custom intake which I think he did a good job of getting done. But the tune was way off. He sent me data showing 12:1 but the car was not running that and the top end was just flat.. the car felt off.

After tiring of it, a friend (430) recommended Eurocharged. I talked to Jerry and decided to drive to Houston from Tallahassee. I can't tell you how happy I am that I did that. The A/F issue is resolved and the car is an absolute beast now. Jerry test drove it when we were done and he said that traction control was flashing through 60 mph on a 95 degree day. It was in the low 90s in the shop when we did the last pulls.

It was so refreshing to finally find someone who know how to tune a car and will talk to you about it. The car has come alive and is completely different now. It was easily worth the 2 days of driving, there and back for me to have the car running well.

Jerry and Eurocharged, thank you so much for the excellent job and I can't give you a high enough recommendation. The car is running great now... I feel like I am finally getting the power out of the mods. I am beyond pleased with the results. I paid much more for the Renntech and Vadim (Power?) tune and the results with Eurocharged are way better. The 22 hp gain is just peak. If you look at the before and after, the average gain is more. The car feels like it picked up much more than 22 hp.

Again, a big thanks to Jerry and Eurocharged and 430 for the recommendation.

The car also has Renntech brakes (brembo) and the monolites which I think are Sachs wheels.
+1, Preaching to the choir my friend!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
I'm just going to start applying all of the Bill Brasky slogans to Jerry Thornton.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 C63 AMG, 05 C55 AMG
how much is the tune and pulley upgrade? I am thinking about doing this before selling the car
Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
What a story but at least it has a great ending and congratulations in having the car fixed and properly tuned!! Can you please post pics..sounds like you have some awesome parts on the car.
Yasin
Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
stevel those aren't renntech monolites? they look just like them. if they are and you want something different let me know ill buy them
Old 05-12-2011, 08:59 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by rlddlr53
how much is the tune and pulley upgrade? I am thinking about doing this before selling the car
we have a sale on it now....

LINK
Old 05-13-2011, 01:46 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Running leaner isn't really bad. You make more power if tuned properly and it really depends on how much you trust your tuner. It's all about keeping the temps down. If you have proper cooling, running a bit leaner is fine. I ran 12.5-12.7afrs on my track car. I had a good tuner but decided to throw in water/meth injection to lower IAT's for peice of mind. Anyways, considering how hot our engines get, it's always a good idea to tune a bit richer. Honestly, I'd be happier with a 11.5-12.0 range. I cringe at high boost when I see anything over 12.2.

Anyways, good work! I'm installing my AEM wideband this weekend and I can finally monitor some AFR's from my eurocharged tune.

Bry
Old 05-13-2011, 01:53 PM

02 C32 AMG, 06 C230 Sport (Gone)
Originally Posted by chris.bachman
I'm just going to start applying all of the Bill Brasky slogans to Jerry Thornton.

ahah comment appreciated
Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
stevel those aren't renntech monolites? they look just like them. if they are and you want something different let me know ill buy them
They are Renntech monolites. I've had them since something like 2002/2003. I heard they are difficult to find now. Sachs wheels was the original manufacturer I think. They are not super light but did allow me to go to an 18 in wheel 8.5 front/9.5 rear with a reasonable weight penalty. The fronts weight near the same with tires and the rears are a couple of pounds heavier.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Old 05-16-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Steve, glad you got it running right. I always thought you had one of the nicest SLK's.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by SteveL
They are Renntech monolites. I've had them since something like 2002/2003. I heard they are difficult to find now. Sachs wheels was the original manufacturer I think. They are not super light but did allow me to go to an 18 in wheel 8.5 front/9.5 rear with a reasonable weight penalty. The fronts weight near the same with tires and the rears are a couple of pounds heavier.
I'm aware that Sachs makes suspension components... didn't know they made wheels too? In any case, AFAIK, Monolites were manufactured by Champion Motorsport for Renntech. Would sure make sense geographically, and I know Champion's forged wheel division made (at least used to, don't know if they still do) wheels for other tuners.

Picture an RG5 but with a radial ten-spoke style pattern, and that's basically what a Monolite is.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by indyjoe
Hey Steve, glad you got it running right. I always thought you had one of the nicest SLK's.
Thanks.... much appreciated. I am so relieved to have the car running right... it really felt ****ty to have the car feel like it ran out of steam above 5500 rpms. Now the car keeps pulling very hard and I can finally say getting the headers/exhaust done was worth it.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by loungn14
Hey guys, pretty cool story...

Every once in a while, we get a car and owner that have been put through hell. This is such a car. It had been passed around from shop to shop to try and figure out why the AFR was very lean, as well as why the car was not running correctly.

The owner made the 10 hour trip down to Texas from Flordia just for us to fix it!

Mods :

1. New Eurocharged ECU Tune
2. Renntech Cams
3. SL55 splitter, ITG filters
4. Custom headers and exhaust, Phanton grip LSD, custom intake
5. Another Vendor Crank Pulley.

Eurocharged ECU programing was not only able to make more power, but the best news was A/F was now 12:1 to 12.2:1. See the dyno below. This is with 18" rims 255 tires.

We added over 22.2 wHP to an existing tune.

LINK

VIDEO

Good power, are you running stage 1 or stage 2?

I have stage 1 at the moment and want to try stage 2, any idea on the differences?