Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Gateway 500 for MOST – Good Unit, Poor Documentation

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG, 1986 Porsche 930S, 1996 Porsche 993tt
Originally Posted by mikeinsf
Got mine from a retailer on Ebay.

me too.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Almost a Member!

mercedes E220cdi W211
Hi All,
Just installed the GW500 to my W211 E class with audio 20 setup (no cd changer). It works like a dream and the quality is very good. It boosts all the frequencies to give really refined audio.
The installation was very simple and i only had to remove the gear lever panel, ashtray, cd changer compartment and audio20 headunit.
Followed the Dension install instructions for the fibreoptic cables, drew power from the cigarette lighter, plugged in the ipod and everything worked as it was supposed to. Steering wheel buttons controls the ipod tracks. No text on the display though. Only track #.
Mercedes dealer had to activate the CDC function on their STARDIAGNOSE system.
If any of you audio20 guys are planning the same install, text me with any questions.
Planning to add an amp, rear speakers and a sub since such good audio output quality seems a shame to waste on the standard audio20 speakers and setup.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Almost a Member!

mercedes E220cdi W211
Finally got the Dension Bluetooth telephone working. installation is very simple. Just plug into the gw500 unit. But getting it to work was another story. Very complicated logic system but if you just mess around with it and try various combinations of your phone settings and car stereo settings, it finally kicks into life,..
Audio quality is crystal clear and it mutes the ipod when taking or receiving a call. Also displays the incoming caller ID on my audio20 stereo. Answer call by pressing the CDC button.Also provides bluetooth audio link with your phone music player. very nice audio quality. Cannot access phone menus etc since its the basic audio20 stereo but provides great hand free for a fraction of the original MB tel unit. Great unit by dension.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Thank you for that update, praveen. Glad to hear the BTA 1500 phone module is working out for you; it has given some members problems (when ending a call the audio system would go to full volume). What firmware version are you using?
Old 03-22-2009, 06:14 AM
Almost a Member!

mercedes E220cdi W211
HI Skylaw,
i'm using the latest firmware which i downloaded yesterday(22/mar/09) from Dension.com The software seems to be kicking in in stages and i now have all functions that the factory phone provides. I can access my phonebook, use the alpha numeric car pad to search for contacts, dial the tel no directly on my audio20 pad, volume is nice and stable, i can answer the call or dial using the phone hook/unhook button on the audio20 set, got caller ID displayed,. only thing that doesnt work yet is the steering wheel phone answer buttons.
One key thing i discovered was that you must have the GW500 aux input cable connected(even if you dont use it) for the BT1500 to work properly. Previously i had this disconnected and then the BT1500 had a lot of bugs.
Also discovered that on my car, for the initial bluetooth pairing, you need to start by playing the normal CD and this allows my cel phone to connect and pair with the BT1500. Then go into CDC mode and access the GW500.
It s a wierd logic process but when it works, its awesome. I never expected it to be so comprehensive and user friendly.
Also i feel that i have fewer bugs than others because i have the basic audio 20 (no CDC connected) and so the fibre optic link is jsut between the stereo and GW500. Makes things much simpler electronically.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does your phone work if you do not have the Gateway 500 selected (via the CDC button) and active? Or must you be monitoring something (such as an iPod) on the GW 500 in order to have the BTA 1500 work?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Almost a Member!

mercedes E220cdi W211
The phone works regardless of if i'm in the CDC function or the CD function as long as the pairing has taken place. Even if i'm on the normal CD, if a call comes in, it mutes the CD and the Tel functions are displayed on the Audio20 screen. Same with if i'm in CDC mode and listening to Ipod or zipdrive. The only issue is sometimes the pairing does not take place properly. When this happens i have to turn off the ignition(ie shut down the MOST ring) and then turn on IGN, turn on the audio20 and reconnect my celphone bluetooth. I guess this is a software bug.
If the pairing is ok, you get a tel symbol on the audio20 as well as a volume bar. The system takes about 3-5 minutes to be able to
access all my phone book numbers from initial pairing..
Old 03-23-2009, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you very much for your replies, praveen.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:40 AM
Almost a Member!

mercedes E220cdi W211
Bluetooth 1500 phone is working well now. All the bugs seems to have worked themselves out. My cellphone automatically pairs with the BT1500 as soon as i turn on the ignition and Audio20 stereo regardless of if im in CD or CDC mode.( You know if pairing is successful if you get a phone and volume icon on the audio20). Takes a few minutes for my phone book to upload and then i can access everything on my phone from the Audio20. Hook/unhook phone from the phone button on the Audio20( steering wheel phone button does not work).
Nice user friendly device that makes driving and talking so much easier and safer (once you get over the initial setup bugs). And great price. Approx $50 for the BT1500.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update - Dension iPod & DVD Video Router, Bluetooth, for GW 500

I provide this update because of a question in a different string, but thought it may be useful.

The Gateway 500 Bluetooth setup works only with the MOST versions of the Gateway 500 and not with D2B versions. Dension's original implementation of the BTA 1500 firmware did inadequate testing for MB, and there were problems; that was fixed in a firmware update quite some time ago. Since the firmware fix, several contributors have reported good results with the BTA 1500 Bluetooth module.

I have not seen anyone write in about the video output device (audio/video router) yet. The feature is available for NGT-1 and NGT-2 COMANDs (DVD-based COMANDs from MY 2004 through MY 2007). It allows iPod video input, backup camera, DVD player input and the like to be displayed on the main COMAND screen or on rear screens if you have an integrated rear entertainment system. It is compatible with all video iPods.

In the U.S. the GW 500 sells for about $450 to $500; the AV Router for about $260; and the BTA 1500 Bluetooth module for $195. http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1350 is one source; Google will get you others. The AV Router and the Bluetooth module both require the basic GW 500; they are add-ons.

The GW 500 does not require you to give up your CDC, and the iPod, USB and RCA inputs provide a great deal of flexibility for what you connect to it - basically, any audio device with a USB or RCA output connector.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update to preceding

Regarding the AVR unit mentioned in the preceding post, ONE U.S. SOURCE (AND THE DENSON MANUAL) SAY THE COMAND MUST HAVE THE TV FUNCTION ACTIVATED. Most U.S. COMANDS do not have this feature activated.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
S55
Thanks guys this was helpful in troubleshoooting my installation. I got all the steps completed but could never access the menu on GW500. The problem was the iPod (brand new classic) would not allow the GW500 to go to the menu. Once I plugged in an older classic iPod it started working. From there all the other tips worked out well. Thanks!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
as far as I understand the optional AVR audio-video-router of this Dension GW500 (GW51MO2) should allow Back up camera.
just wondering if it manages the automatic activation of the rear camera after inserting the reverse gear, or not !

I currently have a reverse camera installed and connected to and Aux video input available in the TV module of my NTG1 Comand, but I need to activate it manually.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:51 PM

2005 SL500, Black on Stone
BTA1500 Microphone Cable

Skylaw or others,

I want to buy the Gateway 500 and BTA 1500 for my 2005 SL500. One question:

Is the microphone supplied by Dension required, or can I not install the Dension mic and use the mic that is built-in to the SL500?

I have seen conflicting information about this but nothing certain. I'd rather use the built-in mic if at all possible, but seem to remember reading that the quality is poor.

Perhaps the updated firmware fixed that problem, but just not sure.

If anyone could clarify, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,

jazzphile
Old 11-23-2010, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm not ignoring you, but I just don't have direct experience with the BTA1500 so as to be able to answer. Perhaps Dension tech support can answer (you may have to stay after them).
Old 11-23-2010, 01:56 AM

Thank you Skylaw. You provide amazing insights and offer so much of your time and expertise.

Perhaps someone else knows the answer to my question.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:21 PM

Power Harness for Gateway 500 Most

Hello Skylaw and others,

Wondering if one of you could assist me. I purchased a used Gateway 500 MOST and BTA1500 for my 2005 SL500. Package included everything that was originally included, per the manual and parts list, with one notable exception:

The actual wiring harness connector for power is missing. I have a ticket into Dension to acquire one, but thought in the meantime that someone here might know how I could work around this issue.

I have determined that I need a 10 pin, 2 row molex connector--not sure if it's 3mm or not. That's the closest I've seen on the 'net. Even still, assuming that's the right connector, I do not know which pins are the power and ground within the power harness.

Could someone tell me where the red and black wires are in the power harness? Top row, which pin? Bottom row, which pin?

Are there any other wires connected to the power harness, or just the black and red for power and ground?

Thanks in advance anyone....

Regards,

Jazzphile

p.s. I am going to try to contact Discount Car Stereo in the hopes they can tell me....if one of you can't!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Discount Car Stereo sells many additional parts for the GW 500, and they may have that harness. I'd give them a call.

I have a hardware version 2 box. Reviewing my installation photos and the installation manual, on mine, the power connections are on a "short" side of the box, next to one of the fiber optic connections; there are only 12v + and ground, no other wires in the harness. The other copper wired connector (on a long side of the box, where most of the wiring goes), that could be confused with a power connector, is for the selector switch/Aux wiring, for which there are at least 3 wires. The power connector plug is quite small - I don't recall unused pins - only the two.

The version 3 box has inputs marked "CDC" and "Car" on one short side. The power connector is the left hand socket on the long side where most of the connections are made. The installation manual still shows only two wires, but the illustration is not detailed enough to tell which holes in the plug the wires go to, or which pins in the socket are used.

Sorry.

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-08-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:23 AM

Got it powered up, but no menus

Hello Skylaw,

Thank you for your response. I was able to device power and ground to power up the unit. I installed it in place of my CD changer, so simply plug and play.

But in my 2005 SL500, I'm getting only CDs 5 and 6, and cannot seem to get into the menus to set up the unit. I have reset the unit, reset the DIP switches to all down, and then #6 up, per the manual, etc. Still no menus for setup, and no Ipod sound coming thru.

Powered car down and up, let it sit for a few moments before starting it up again, etc. Not sure what the issue is.

Frustrating.....after all the time and studying I did on this, and disassembling the back of the SL500 to put it all together, I'm frustrated needless to say.

Any words of wisdom?

Thank you,

Jazzphile
Old 12-09-2010, 01:39 AM

Got it working, sort of!

Ok. So I played with it some more, and got it working, sort of. I think I had the Ipod plugged into the wrong socket!! Sorry about that!! I'm a dope.

Anyway, so now I got it working, and the BTA 1500 bluetooth is working too, but, I can't get into the menus to set the device up properly.

Gotta try some more things....DIP switches, firmware update, etc.

Ughhh....
Old 12-09-2010, 01:51 AM

I bought this one used. The prior owner had it in a C class without COMAND. So this is configured for Ipod control and no text, I believe. I can't seem to get into the menus to configure it properly.

In the CD Magazine, I'm getting CD 1, CD3, CD4, CD5, CD6. But I can't follow the instructions to get into the menus to configure. Next thing I'll try is new firmware.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:50 AM

Skylaw,

You were right in your original posts a long time ago. Documentation and user interface setup is horrible. The unit is now working, and configured, and I finally figured out how to get into the menus to set up the user interface for the Gateway control through the Comand.

To be honest, I don't recall how I did it now!! But I did it. Actually, now that I think of it, the simple thing of toggling 6 times to reset the device is not clearly explained in the manual. It should say toggle 3 times (up and down), not 6. By Dension's standards, by toggling 6 times, I was actually toggling 12. So on the off chance, I re-read it for the 20th time, toggled 3 times, and voila!! Right into the menus and I was able to go from there.

Funny.....if I had to figure it out again, it probably would take me an hour.

I now have it set up to allow for text on the Comand, +Paging, Bluetooth audio paired, and Bluetooth phone paired with the BTA 1500. It's uploading the phone book now.

This documentation is some of the worst I've ever seen in a complicated electronic device, but once you figure it out, it works very well (so far).

Thanks to you for all of your documentation, explanations and experience. It is VERY helpful, even to a decently experience guy like me when it comes to electronics and car audio.

Regards,

Jazzphile
Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Glad you worked it through, jazzphile. That "installation manual" has caused folks a tremendous number of headaches. It is AWFUL. But once the unit is in and configured, it is great.

The hardware version 2 installation manual I used says "switch the mode selector switch six times (3 times on/off ) rapidly and a configuration menu will appear on the display." The hardware version 3 manual has similar language. I hope I did not mislead you with the language in my writeup - I think of "toggling" as moving a 2-position switch from one position to the other; I think of moving it from one position to another and back as "cycling."

Anyway, your perseverance got you through it before I even had a chance to reply. Good!

Last edited by Skylaw; 12-09-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:57 PM

Skylaw,

Thanks for the response. You are right--mine has the same language about toggling, but it's written so poorly it could be interpreted either way--3 or 6!! Oh well...

The only thing that is not working for me is the phone book upload to COMAND. I have a feeling that I won't be able to solve this one...

I have an HTC Evo (Android) and the COMAND message I get is "Phonebook Uploading..." but it never changes and doesn't upload.

I guess I could try creating a phonebook manually in COMAND for my most common numbers. Not sure it's worth the try or if it will even retain the information I enter since the system seems to "re-initialize" each time it powers up.

I guess it's small potatoes...

Any tips or pointers on phonebook upload would be appreciated from you or others who have been successful.

Regards,
Jazzphile
Old 12-11-2010, 11:38 AM

SL500 Dension Gateway 500 and BTA1500 install

Hi,

I thought I'd take a few moments to summarize the install I did in my SL500. I have seen very little detail specific to installing the Gateway and BTA1500 in an SL. I have a 2005 MOST based COMAND. I have the MOST based Gateway 500.

I removed both side panels and the back panel and CD Changer box in the SL, as well as the back center panel (right behind the armrest). I removed the kick panel trim as well. Basically the whole rear portion of the interior was disassembled. This took me about an hour following available PDF instructions from MBZ (you can find them in these forums or on Benzworld (Posted by LeeWireless).

I ran the microphone wire for the BTA1500 to the A pillar, installed near the top of the A pillar. I did not install the mic near the center rear view mirror for two reasons: 1) I wanted the mic as close to me as possible, especially given that it's a convertible; 2) The cable is not long enough when the BTA1500 and Gateway 500 are installed in the original CD changer box. I could obtain an extension cable for the mic, but it wasn't worth it. I might in the future to better hide the mic nearer to the windshield...but I'm told by others that it sounds very good being so close to my mouth.

The mic cable is fully hidden behind the A pillar (slid cable into spaces between trim), then ran the cable down the bottom of the dash and underneath the seal and kick plate (which also were removed and reinstalled when done). I ran the cable underneath these and all the way to the back of the car, behind the already removed plastic panels and into the CD changer compartment.

The only tangibly visible portion of the entire install is the mic itself, which as I said sits on the upper portion of the A pillar, nearest to me.

I removed the CD changer, and removed the fiber optic and power connections. I installed the Gateway in place of the CD changer. I did not retain the CD changer in my install. In this case, the fiber optic connections were truly plug and play--no mods required and the MB fiber optic connector fits perfectly into the left side of the Gateway 500. I did not run a fiber optic out connection from the right fiber optic connector of the Gateway--that is unused.

I spliced the Gateway power wire into the power wire (red/yellow) of the MB CD changer connection, and found a local "bolt" to run the Gateway ground wire to. I connected the Auxiliary connector, BTA1500 and Ipod cables to the Gateway 500. The Gateway is installed rather loosely inside the CD changer compartment. There is plenty of room in there. I installed some packing foam in the compartment and around the components of the Gateway and BTA1500 to keep things in place but easily accessible.

The Aux device (that allows reset of the Gateway) remains in the CD changer compartment because I doubt I'll ever use the aux input. The Gateway remains in the CD changer compartment because I doubt I'll ever use the USD connector for music. I will likely only use the USB input for firmware updates.

I ran the Ipod cable from the CD changer compartment, underneath the already removed rear panel behind the armrest, and into the lower compartment of the center console armrest. I did this with no cutting or drilling. Very easy. The cable was able to fit into an opening that already exists for the hinges that allow the center console to open and close. The cable does not impede opening and closing and is just long enough to allow the Ipod to sit near the front of the bottom portion of the center console. It does not appear that you could run the cable into the upper portion of the center console because there are not the same "openings" in the hinge portion.

Ipod is installed loosely in the center console. Easily accessible in case you want to run the Gateway in Ipod UI mode to allow for Ipod adjustments from time to time. For example, I have always hated the sound quality of the Bose system in my SL. However, by using the "Latin" EQ curve in the Ipod Settings menu, I can finally get at least decent sound quality out of the Bose.

Did I say I hate Bose? Let me repeat--I HATE Bose. Cheap, poorly conceived and ridiculous approach to working around basic concepts of high quality audio--I am an audio guy who runs Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, KEF and other high end equipment in my home and have extensive experience installing and using good car audio equipment in prior vehicles....so I know a bit of which I speak. But I digress....

Once adjusted, you can return the Ipod to Ipod GW UI and use the car display.

Back to the install--I reinstalled all panels, the CD changer compartment, etc. I reinstalled the center panel behind the armrest.

I ran into some trouble with the menu system in the Gateway at first install, but once you figure it out, it's relatively easy to figure it out. Figure you are going to need an hour or two to get thru the extremely poor manual and instructions provided by Dension for both the BTA1500 and the Gateway 1500.

Both units default to Mercedes mode out of the box. So that makes it easy. Set your DIP switches as appropriate. Since i have removed the CD changer, I have tried all DIP switches "down", and number 6 switched "up". I have noted no difference in the install, menus or functionality when switch 6 is tried in the up or down positions.

The Ipod menus work great, and the Ipod works great, in the SL500 version of MOST COMAND. No complaints once you figure it out (I won't repeat what Skylaw so completely described in his posts near the beginning of this thread on how the menus work--those apply well to the SL COMAND).

I have Apple Lossless files on my Ipod, as well as AAC and MP3 files. All play flawlessly. Menus work perfectly. I have an old Ipod 2g, Ipod 3g, Ipod Classic and they all work well. I have an Ipod Touch that I have not yet tried but expect it will work well too. Charging of the Ipod works perfectly....but I haven't figured out whether the Classic will charge or not. I have read it won't.....but am not sure yet.

Sound quality, other than the crappy Bose system I mentioned earlier, is equivalent to CD quality. Added bonus is the Ipod EQ system, which also sucks because it cannot be user modified (you only have presets from which to choose), but at least you can make the Bose system sound "better"....or as I would say, "acceptable". This is a real PLUS.

BTA1500 bluetooth is a bit stickier in the SL500. It works, and you can place outbound calls pretty easily. The keypad of the COMAND works to make outbound calls once in the Tel menu. The SEND button works to make the call. The OK button also works to send the call. The steering wheel buttons for phone do not work. I wonder if they would work if the car had been originally coded for a telephone--mine was not.

Inbound calls are another story. The call comes thru, and you can see the number and if it matches your phone's contact, you see the contact pop up on the COMAND screen. But none of the COMAND buttons or steering wheel buttons allow you to "pick up" the call. You have to use the phone itself to answer the call, which is an unexpected hassle and disappointment.

I believe this might be unique to the SL in MBZ, but am not sure. I have done a lot of reading and research and see that other MBZ owners have had this problem, but am not sure about owners of models other than the SL. I have read that Porsche owners have FULL integration but that other car lines are less than perfectly integrated, and this appears to be one example. I have current firmware installed.

So, phone calls out work well, and inbound calls work well with the exception of the ability to pick up the call with the in car controls.

I have the HTC Evo Android 2.2 based phone. Bluetooth connections work perfectly. No complaints there. When I was trying to figure out how to pick up an inbound call (I was testing with my home phone and cel), after repeated attemps from within the car, I disconnected Bluetooth in repeated testing. But other than this testing, Bluetooth connections have been flawless.

Phone book upload does not appear to work. The message "Now Downloading" appears in the Tel menu when the system is in use, but the phone book never uploads to COMAND. I believe there is an incompatibility between the newer, Android style phone books and the older COMAND system. I have read that others were able to upload their phone books using older phones.

I have entered some of my contacts manually in COMAND with the car turned on and the Gateway turned on, with Bluetooth turned on. The contacts do remain in COMAND memory the next time the car is turned off/on, so that is an alternate, if manual, option for using the COMAND phone book. When a call comes in that is in the COMAND phone book, and the phone number matches what is in COMAND, the COMAND phone book entry displays on COMAND. Nice.

The surprise for me was that for a phone book entry not in COMAND, but that matches the entry in my Evo, that information also displayed on COMAND--phone number and other contact info. I am going to double check this again to make sure I'm not mistaken--this seems strange to me....and if it's different, I'll report back.

Bluetooth Audio Streaming from the Evo works perfectly. For those who may not know, you can streamm A2DP stereo audio through COMAND using the Bluetooth streaming technology. It works perfectly through COMAND. You have to select that source from within the Dension menus but it's a nice option and one which further precludes the need to use the Aux input. Aux input would provide higher sound quality than Bluetooth, but not so much that it's worth the hassle. I use the Bluetooth Audio Streaming option to listen to Podcasts, Pandora, etc. when I don't want to listen to music on my Ipod. A great option made easy by Dension.

Interestingly, I knew this functionality existed on the MoBridge Itronics device, but Dension's literature does not explicitly state that Bluetooth Streaming is included in their feature set. It's a great bonus.

Ipod UI and Gateway UI have been explained elsewhere. Both work. I have not tried USB input other than for firmware update, so can't elaborate. I have not tried the Aux input, so cannot elaborate.

When toggling the switch to "reset" the Gateway after install, the Dension manual is incredibly poorly written. To reset, flip the switch up and down once, twice, three times. That's it. The Dension manual reads as if you need to do it 6 times. Took me an hour to figure this out!!! Save yourself some time based on my lack of comprehension---each up and down motion is one, for a total of 3.

All in all, well worth it. I bought my combo Gateway and BTA1500 used on Ebay for $399--but would recommend them at more retail prices.

The BTA1500 is less than perfect, admittedly. But the Gateway 500 works very well....other than the poor documentation and setup instructions, it's nearly flawless. The BTA1500 is "good enough", I'd say, given an Ipod and Phone/Bluetooth setup from MBZ would have cost me nearly $2k. In fact, MBZ doesn't sell and Ipod setup for the 2005 SL, so I'd have had to buy the Gateway 500 and the MBZ phone equipment separately.

This works for me. I'll live with having to answer the phone calls manually on the phone. I might try to experiment with voice commands on the phone to answer the call....could work. That's another thing I have not tried on the phone by the way....voice commands. I want to see if I can have the phone respond to voice commands through the BTA1500 and make calls without me having to key anything in on COMAND. If it works, I suspect this will solve my call answering problem. I'll report back.

Regards,

Jazzphile

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gateway 500 for MOST – Good Unit, Poor Documentation