Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Startac CDMA Phone Activation - MY 2000+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several
Startac CDMA Phone Activation - MY 2000+

I'd pretty much given up on having my integrated phone working in my 2000 W210 again. I just wasn't willing to spend the money for the upgrade, and until today, assumed I had no other option.

Fortunately, it's not necessary...yup, while there are requirements and limitations, you might be able to get your old Startac integrated system working again for free - and it's dead simple.

The following worked for me - no guarantees it will for you, proceed at your own risk, etc.

Pre-requisites:

- Startac dual mode CDMA handset. TDMA - sorry, you're out of luck.

- Willingness to use PagePlus as your provider. They're a pre-paid provider that uses the Verizon network, so coverage is decent for many folks. Unlike Verizon, they enable non-E911 capable phones such as our old Startacs. Link: www.pagepluscellular.com

Limitations: Other than being limited to PagePlus, the only issue I read about was 1900MHz CDMA coverage. The dual mode Startac only has 800MHz. From what I've read, this is a non-issue for most folks - Verizon seems to use 800MHz in the vast majority of places. I read reports of 1900MHz being used in some parts of TX and FL, but there could well be other locations where this limitation exists. The good news - it won't cost you a nickle to try it out in your local area.

Procedure:

- Write down your ESN. You can find it under the battery (typically labeled "SN"), or you can get it through the phone menu.

- Head over to the PagePlus forums at Howard Forums. There are numerous "hobby dealers" for PagePlus cellular over there, who will activate any CDMA phone for free. Read about them in the "sticky" post at the top of the forum, contact one, and give them your ESN and zip code. They'll reply back with your new number.

- OTA activation works fine. Dial *228, then select option 1. Your Startac will be activated, and you should receive a text message with a validation code. The validation code can be used to add your MBZ Startac to your PagePlus online account, if you wish to manage your phone(s) from there. You'll also receive a $6 airtime credit, so you can try things out before deciding to add more $$, or pick a plan. Given my relatively limited use of the car phone, pre-paid is a great option...I'll just drop $20 in the kitty as needed. For you yackity-yack types, PagePlus currently has two cheap pre-paid options - $30 gets you 1200 minutes per month, $40 gets you unlimited.

The integrated phone functions continue to work perfectly. I drove around the East Bay (CA) today, coverage and sound quality was excellent.

Hope this helps others, who are hesitant to spend the money on a "proper" upgrade.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Thank you for that information, Da Nag.