Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

DIY: New Chrome key upgrade/retrofit.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 CLK500
DIY: New Chrome key upgrade/retrofit.

This DIY is to swap the ROM chip from the old plastic key to the new style chrome key, the result is a functional chrome key that will take place of the old key; you will not gain an additional key.

The key I use is from the 2006-2009 models with the round panic button. Ebay keys will work, just need to ask the seller if the key was tested and working, most of the ebay keys have cracks on the button, so ask and pay close attention to the pictures.

WARNING!!!!!! Do this at your own risk, not recommended if you have only one key and/or not have the proper tools and skills.

The procedure is as followed:

1. Open up your old key just as you would when you replace the batteries, do the same thing with the new chrome key, they are built the same way.
2. Pull out the PCB from the casing. On the old key, the board comes out easily by tapping the casing on your hand as you would do with a ketchup bottle. For the new chrome key, use a needle nose pliers grab on to the white plastic part and pull the board out.
3. Locate and remove the 30 pin ICs both PCBs, they look identical so make sure you mark the working IC from the old key. This is where skills and proper equipments are critical, you must not damage the boards or the chips. Also note the polarity/orientation of the IC, can be identified by a dot at one of the corners.
4. Install the old chip on the new board, make sure the chip is orientated correctly or it will not function, again special skill is required.
5. Clean up with electronics cleaner and dry your board completely with a hair dryer. Don't worry, you will not burn the board as long as you keep the hair dryer at least 8 inches from the board.
6. Reassemble and enjoy your new shiny chrome key.

Here is a picture showing which IC is to be swapped.

ATTENTION !!!! DO NOT BUY THE 2010 NEW STYLE KEY.

I have an update regarding the new 2010 and up key style with the triangular panic button.
I open one up today and was very disappointed as there is no interchangeable chip in this key to match up with the old key.
Apparently, MB had upgraded the PCB configuration, it is much simpler now with NO ROM chip that I can see.
Also, the casing is glued together so by the time you took it apart it will be in pieces; I had to use the ultrasonic tank to loosen the glue.
Damn MB engineers!!!!
The following users liked this post:
purplecat001 (02-14-2017)
Old 03-29-2011, 04:28 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
How do you remove the 30 pin ICs both PCBs from the case, i tried so hard to pull out, but no go
Old 03-29-2011, 04:51 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
nvm, I was able to it from the case, now, Do i need a welding tool to remove the chip and put it in the new board?

Last edited by chen888min; 03-29-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:09 PM

04 CLK500
Originally Posted by chen888min
nvm, I was able to it from the case, now, Do i need a welding tool to remove the chip and put it in the new board?
Replied to your pm.

As I mentioned, you need special equipments and skill for this mod.
Please be extra cautious, do not attempt if you are not 100% sure.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 clk500 sport
hey can you tell everyone what tools are needed etc etc, i took apart the new key and i took off the 30 pin chip but what next?
thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 AM

06_ML350; 04_E320_4M
Originally Posted by dark knight
This DIY is to swap the ROM chip from the old plastic key to the new style chrome key, the result is a functional chrome key that will take place of the old key; you will not gain an additional key.

The key I use is from the 2006-2009 models with the round panic button. Ebay keys will work, just need to ask the seller if the key was tested and working, most of the ebay keys have cracks on the button, so ask and pay close attention to the pictures.

WARNING!!!!!! Do this at your own risk, not recommended if you have only one key and/or not have the proper tools and skills.

The procedure is as followed:

1. Open up your old key just as you would when you replace the batteries, do the same thing with the new chrome key, they are built the same way.
2. Pull out the PCB from the casing. On the old key, the board comes out easily by tapping the casing on your hand as you would do with a ketchup bottle. For the new chrome key, use a needle nose pliers grab on to the white plastic part and pull the board out.
3. Locate and remove the 30 pin ICs both PCBs, they look identical so make sure you mark the working IC from the old key. This is where skills and proper equipments are critical, you must not damage the boards or the chips. Also note the polarity/orientation of the IC, can be identified by a dot at one of the corners.
4. Install the old chip on the new board, make sure the chip is orientated correctly or it will not function, again special skill is required.
5. Clean up with electronics cleaner and dry your board completely with a hair dryer. Don't worry, you will not burn the board as long as you keep the hair dryer at least 8 inches from the board.
6. Reassemble and enjoy your new shiny chrome key.

Here is a picture showing which IC is to be swapped.

ATTENTION !!!! DO NOT BUY THE 2010 NEW STYLE KEY.

I have an update regarding the new 2010 and up key style with the triangular panic button.
I open one up today and was very disappointed as there is no interchangeable chip in this key to match up with the old key.
Apparently, MB had upgraded the PCB configuration, it is much simpler now with NO ROM chip that I can see.
Also, the casing is glued together so by the time you took it apart it will be in pieces; I had to use the ultrasonic tank to loosen the glue.
Damn MB engineers!!!!
Hey dark_night, I'm having a bit of a problem with one of the black key fobs (NON keyless-go): the lock button not working. In an attempt to see what's wrong I took the PCB out and discovered that the "lock" micro switch is completely loose.

So, I remembered your solution described here and I need a bit of clarification: can you please PM me so that I can get this mod sorted out?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2013, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
hey I'd like to replace the older style chrome key with the new style (triangle panic) how did you take the new one apart? I know you said its glued together but I bought a $20 one off ebay and I'm willing to attempt to get it apart and I'm happy to glue it back together but I just dont want to actually break anything
Old 08-11-2013, 07:14 PM

06_ML350; 04_E320_4M
Many of the MB owners have/had problems with their old/current keys. The options for a replacement are limited to either a dealership (expensive new chrome style with triangle panic button), or some chrome style keyfob with round panic button.
You can buy the the later of ebay, then attempt to swap the guts (the one you just bought with triangle panic button cannot be swapped).

In my case, I had to replace the old style key fob as one of the micro switches was completely loose. I opted for the 2nd option, contacted dark_knight for the swap and soldering, and one week later I had my new chrome style with round panic button back.

I still needed to buy an uncut key blade to be re-cut here locally.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:12 PM

2010 Mercedes Benz GLK350 4MATIC
Key Fob Replacement

When I purchased my 2010 GLK, I received the Chrome Key Fob with the Circle Panic Button. Mine looks a little beat up. So I can order a New Chrome Fob w/Circle Panic Button off E-Bay and Swap the Guts then just get the Safety Key on the new Fob Re-cut Locally?

Thanks for Help Guys.......
Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 AM

C43
Has anyone but the OP attempted this job successfully? I'm guessing you use a hot air soldering unit with some of that paste solder that shrinks down when you heat it up?

I'm looking for someone with the skills to do this but it's not easy. Obviously if you don't do it right you've bricked both keys.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:42 PM

2003 c320
key fob chip swap

Thought I'd pass on that I did this on my c320 and it worked perfectly. From years of tossing around my old key fob, the door "lock" button would work and it only started the car half the time. I purchased a new chrome key fob on ebay.

I do not have the tools or skills to do this on my own. I took it to a local TV repair shop and showed the picture above to the tech. I stressed that there was no pressure if it didn't work.....I would just purchase a new fob (~$200) from the stealer if it didn't. He charged me $30 and completed it in about 15 minutes. All buttons work perfectly and it started the car right up.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
just to reiterate it doesn't work with the new chrome key but the FIRST chrome style key only, the one with flush buttons and a round emergency button. New key has a triangle emergency button
Old 01-18-2014, 08:06 AM

E320 CDI T
Hey, I want to change my key to the chrome one, but my old key is a two button one (Estate version) and I am not sure if the new 3 button chrome key will work on my car. Do you guys have any idea if it will work or I have to buy a 2 button chrome key? Below is a picture of my original key.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/NEW-2-BUTTON-SMART-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-CASE-for-MERCEDES-BENZ-C-E-VITO-SPRINTER-ML-/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/vA4AAOxy-j9SSIvW/$T2eC16NHJHQFFhtL5IfjBSSIvV)t7g~~60_12.JPG

Last edited by Geni94; 01-18-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:23 PM

C43
well, I did it and it will unlock the doors but not start the car.. I dont know if the key was defective to begin with or if I messed it up in the process. Back to finding another ebay key I guess and try it again.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:30 PM

2006 SL500
Will keyless-go still work if done this way or how do you make the keyless-go feature function by doing this?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:33 PM

S500
Originally Posted by 06SL500AMG
Will keyless-go still work if done this way or how do you make the keyless-go feature function by doing this?
Same question, will keyless-go work with this solution?
Old 04-23-2014, 02:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
I think that dark knight has posted before that Keyless go doesn't work

If anyone ends up with a dead smart key in a drawer here in LA I might be able to help you out. (In hollywood)
Old 03-22-2015, 06:45 PM

cls55
Sorry to bring this old thread back, but I was trying the OP's technique of upgrading the keys and noticed a difference.
The key I bought was of ebay and but is different to the OP's new key.

Notice the op's buttons for depress on the PCB are on the bottom side whereas the key I bought of ebay, the button's for depress are on the top side of the PCB.

The ops new key pcb is different than the one I got of ebay. Notice the difference in PCB designs.

The NEC chip on the new key also is placed at a different orientation than the old key. Notice the "circle mark" on the corner of the chip. That shows the position of pin 1 for the chip is the first pin to the left of that mark.

Il confirm whether this works.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: New Chrome key upgrade/retrofit.-2015-03-22-18.09.41.jpg   DIY: New Chrome key upgrade/retrofit.-2015-03-22-18.10.40.jpg   DIY: New Chrome key upgrade/retrofit.-2015-03-22-18.10.48.jpg  

Last edited by zubin.p; 03-22-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:12 PM

cls55
PCB part swap but didnt

So i did the NEC chip swap between the boards but it did not work. Any ideas?
Old 10-14-2015, 11:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CL55
Did anyone determine that the keyless go does or does not work after swap???
Old 11-15-2015, 01:03 AM

W209, W124
Originally Posted by zubin.p
So i did the NEC chip swap between the boards but it did not work. Any ideas?
The issue is that the Chrome key you got was a Keyless Go. Hope you didn't through out the NEC chip, it could still go on a non keyless go Chrome key PCB like the OP posted images of.

If the Chrome body was in nice shape, you have the luxury of buying a crappy non-keyless go key instead of holding out for a nice one.

And to answer Hutchinson's question, same answer. I have not had the luxury of playing with KeyLess Go cars, but I can say with certainty that moving the NEC chip onto a Keyless Go Chrome key leads to a big NADA.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:23 PM

2000 S430
Red face key fob swap

I have a 2002 Mercedes CL500 with a worn plastic key fob. So I purchased similar plastic fob off ebay and transferred the components over to it.
Now my car will not recognize my key, but my key can still lock and unlock the doors, and open the trunk.
I tried putting it back to my original fob, but got the same response.
My key was working great before the attempted swap.
The dealer wants me to buy a new key $325 plus $80 to reprogram.
Nobody around me wants to touch it, and the closest I got was a guy that wants to reprogram a new key for $350 or $250 if he can fix mine.
I'm in Ontario California. Anybody knows anyone close that can help at reasonable price ?

Thanks Guy's!
Old 12-02-2015, 10:13 PM

W209, W124
Hi, got your PM and sent an email

Can probably help you
Old 12-03-2015, 09:39 PM

W209, W124
Kayca just left here on his way back to Ontario from my place in Hollywood. On inspection under a magnifying glass I could see a tiny hair of a wire poking off the end of the coil that powers the ignition part of key.

So I gave him the choice of moving the EEPROM to another PCB that he supplied for FREE or he could have a Chrome one I had from Ebay for $55.(what it cost me) He went with the Chrome one so I moved his chip over.

I was able to get the red lights flashing which usually means the key will work.

Fingers crossed !

If it works out I will post some pix of the 2 keys.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:25 AM

2000 S430
Thanks a lot MacVidMB-V8. I got home, and walaaaaa the key worked !!!!!
For $55 cost as against dealer $400, my CL500 is back on the road.
You rock man ! I can't thank you enough. You are 5 Star !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: New Chrome key upgrade/retrofit.