C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

BAS and ESP Malfunction

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:32 AM
TBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy BAS and ESP Malfunction

I hope someone can offer me a permanent solution to my chronic BAS and ESP malfunction display problem.

My problem with the BAS and ESP Malfunction display problem started immediately after I sent my car to the MBenz workshop to replace the ‘Cool Vision’ window film for the back windscreen in April 2004.

Since then, my car has been in and out of the MBenz workshop so many times over the same problem that I find it is so embarassing to discuss with the friends. I wonder who can fix the problem if MBenz workshop is not able to provide a permanent solution. The display problem always prop up after 1 - 2 weeks after visiting the workshop. Initially, I was advised that the BAS and ESP malfunction light was due to some wiring problem (and it is safe to drive the car). Later I was advised the problem is probably due to dirt. I doubt it because I hardly use the car, to date the car only registered 20500 km. T
he average daily mileage is only 6 km.

The last visit to the workshop was on 15 Oct 2004. The workshop told me that it has replaced a sensor and so I thought the problem is finally resolved. But alas, the problem cropped up again on 17 Nov 2004, about 1 month after visiting the workshop. During the 1 month, the car was not used for 2 weeks.
Now, the malfunction signal is popping up every morning when I starts the car. The signal will disappear when I switch off and on the engine.

Given the situation, can somebody offer me an effective solution which I can provide to the Mbenz to explore - I will be most grateful.

"Apart from this annoying problem, I love the car"
Old 12-02-2004, 07:22 PM

For starters, here is what you can do.
Start the engine,
Turn the steeringwheel all the way to the left & hold for 4-5 seconds,
Turn the steeringwheel all the way to the right & hold for 4-5 seconds,
Center the steeringwheel
Turn the engine off for 30 seconds
Start the engine again & see if the light comes on again.
Furthermore, ask your dealer if they replaced the steering angle sensor.
That is THE most common fix for the problem.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:20 PM

1999 C230 Kompressor, 2002 E320 4matic
could be the brake lamp switch.. with the back of the car close to a wall so you can see the brake lights.. depress the brake pedal slowly.. there should be about 10mm of pedal travel before the brake lights come on. if they come on right away as you depress the pedal then you have the brake lamp switch adjusted incorectly and its too sensitive.
sometimes they can be adjusted (remove the brake lamp switch and pull the white shaft all the way out.. when reinstalling it press the brake pedal down and put in the switch, then slowly let off the pedal and it will click as it adjusts, once the pedal has stopped adjusting, give the pedal a pull towards you to set it in its proper location.) if that does not work.. then you will have to replace it.
but check for codes first and let us know what code you have.
the most common failure with the Bas/ESP light is the brake lamp switch.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:54 AM
TBS

BAS and ESP Malfunction

I forgot to update the forum that I had the matter resolved completely after I replaced a new battery in early 2005. The BAS light never came on again. Thank you
Old 05-14-2006, 03:01 AM
Almost a Member!

Elegance
Originally Posted by TBS
I forgot to update the forum that I had the matter resolved completely after I replaced a new battery in early 2005. The BAS light never came on again. Thank you
Old 05-14-2006, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by SLAMMED_C
could be the brake lamp switch.. with the back of the car close to a wall so you can see the brake lights.. depress the brake pedal slowly.. there should be about 10mm of pedal travel before the brake lights come on. if they come on right away as you depress the pedal then you have the brake lamp switch adjusted incorectly and its too sensitive.
sometimes they can be adjusted (remove the brake lamp switch and pull the white shaft all the way out.. when reinstalling it press the brake pedal down and put in the switch, then slowly let off the pedal and it will click as it adjusts, once the pedal has stopped adjusting, give the pedal a pull towards you to set it in its proper location.) if that does not work.. then you will have to replace it.
but check for codes first and let us know what code you have.
the most common failure with the Bas/ESP light is the brake lamp switch.
Yes, I had the same problem in the W210 E Class, the ESP, ASR, ABS all had malfunctions all at the same time in the same 5 seconds. The driver (not a chauffeur) parked the car, turned it off, waited two minutes, started it and it went away. The car was taken to the dealer and they told us that there was a switch that had to be replaced, probably the brake lamp switch, since that seems to sound familiar.

Are you taking the car to a Mercedes-Benz workshop or the dealer?
Old 05-10-2009, 08:40 AM

slk55
FYI: After resetting, I still get the error "ESP malfuction, go to workshop" The MB dealer replaced the steering angle sensor and fixed the problem. Cruise control wasn't working, now it's working.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:59 PM

2002 SLK 320
Thumbs up BAS ESP Light

I installed the SmartTop and played with it a few too many times without running the engine. The BAS ESP came on, probably from the battery drain. However, I followed the previous advice about starting the engine and turning the wheel left and right, etc. That fixed the problem! Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:22 PM

w211
HELP..i have a 2003 E500 with a new Brake light switch installed and 2 new batteries, main and auxiliary. It has a NEW SBC PUMP Just got out of the dealer today; and still the ABS ,BAS, ESP and cruise control is not working; and its prompting on my dash. my service rep said its a BRAKE SENSOR that needs to be replaced and its going to cost me another $500 .. i would like to ask anybody out there that had or has the same problem or issues... please help

Note: i did the reset "left to right steering method" and it only works for a few minutes then pop goes the lights again.

Last edited by +Bad+man+; 12-09-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:30 PM

C230 Kompressor
This is what I know for sure.

Originally Posted by +Bad+man+
HELP..i have a 2003 E500 with a new Brake light switch installed and 2 new batteries, main and auxiliary. It has a NEW SBC PUMP Just got out of the dealer today; and still the ABS ,BAS, ESP and cruise control is not working; and its prompting on my dash. my service rep said its a BRAKE SENSOR that needs to be replaced and its going to cost me another $500 .. i would like to ask anybody out there that had or has the same problem or issues... please help

Note: i did the reset "left to right steering method" and it only works for a few minutes then pop goes the lights again.
If my ESP/BAS is set the cruise control in disabled. When I clear the fail the cruise is enabled. And that's all I know about that.