C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

NO SOUND FROM RADIO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
NO SOUND FROM RADIO

Took the dog to the "Bark Park" this evening. Was listening to the radio, everything normal. Shut the car off, let the dog run around, got back into the car, started it, no sound from the radio. Pressed the Mute button a couple of times, nothing. Everything else is normal -- finds stations if I press "Seek", etc. I have the standard radio, no Command.

As this forum seems to have the world's leading authorities on everything Mercedes, hope someone can help by pointing me in a direction of what might be wrong.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
do you have premium radio aka hk or not? you don't have to have command to have it.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:13 PM

No, this isn't a premium radio . . . it is whatever came standard.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
This happened to me once on my 02 coupe. I turned up the volume using the know on the unit (as opposed to the steering controls) and it started to work again. Worth a try
Old 10-02-2009, 10:53 PM

JCNash, thanks for the suggestions; however, tried it and nada. Is there a separate fuse for the speakers vs. the radio itself?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Originally Posted by ChuckinTucson
No, this isn't a premium radio . . . it is whatever came standard.
ok just wanted to make sure you didint have the hk with the plain hu. well i don't know what could be wrong but you are lucky you don't have the hk becasue the amp is really expensive. hope someone can help you
Old 10-02-2009, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
JCNash, thanks for the suggestions; however, tried it and nada. Is there a separate fuse for the speakers vs. the radio itself?
Nope theres only one fuse, and if that fuse had blown, the radio wont turn on. Since you dont have H/K, Bose etc, your system uses the amp which is built into the HU. The speakers therefore connect directly to the HU.

So, Im realy not sure what could be wrong. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
You keep talking "radio". What about "CD"?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203-4M W163
There are some other links on this issue. I've had this happen a few times now with my HK system in my '06 C280. First time, they replaced the amplifier (luckily, it was still under warranty). It was fine for 6 months, then just happened again last week, but started working the next day. I will have them look into it next time I take it in.

It's not the fuse (I replaced those the first time, made no difference). There's some other issue, but no one seems to have an answer for this (and on this fantastic forum, that is VERY strange!!).

This kind of thing should not be happening with any car, much less an MB. Car stereos have been around for a very long time--it ain't rocket surgery.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C320
I have the HK system. The very same symptom happens about once a year. I wait a day or two and the sound comes back on its own. I have taken the car to a dealer while under warranty but they couldn't tell what was wrong because sound was always back by the time the car was in.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
For those of you with Harman/Kardon Logic7 systems - if you're having on again/off again issues you most likely have a bad amp. This has been fairly common. The amp is expensive ($1000).

Chuck, you have the Audio 20 standard 6-speaker system? I've not heard of that failing before. Whatever it is will hopefully be a reasonable repair price wise. Dealer retail on a speaker is about $85 last I checked.. for reference.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 c230 S.S.
theres a couple of "fixes" in this thread for the hk system. i'd give them a shot first https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-system-2.html
Old 10-03-2009, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
None of the fixes for the HK system are going to work for you. The standard audio system is quite basic as far as the amp / speakers are concerned. If none of the modes on the head unit (radio, cd, etc) are producing audio on any of the speakers then your head unit is likely toast. Sounds like a good excuse to buy a COMAND unit to me. If you can get your hands on a Star Diagnostic computer the head unit can be tested that way.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:58 PM

Thanks everyone for your time in replying. I thought of something else that MAY have contributed to this: About a week or so ago, I pressed the TONE button and it came up with Bass, Treble, then a choice for "Standard" "Speech" and "Surround Sound." I set it to Surround Sound. It continued to work until it just stopped as mentioned in the first post. Now when I press the TONE button, I only get the Bass and Treble options and it doesn't progress to the Standard, Speech or Surround Sound modes.

Everything else about the radio works fine, press the MUTE button, and the word "Muted" appears, the seek function works, the preset radio stations work, which makes me think that the head unit isn't completely toast. I'm going to take it to the dealer and see if they can hook up the Star system.

Is it possible there is a connection in the back of the radio where the speaker wire plugs in? The reason I ask is because the dealer did have the dash apart a couple months ago fixing an A/C outlet servo that wasn't opening. I'm sure they had to have the radio out to get to that fix.

Will keep you all up to date.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Thanks everyone for your time in replying. I thought of something else that MAY have contributed to this: About a week or so ago, I pressed the TONE button and it came up with Bass, Treble, then a choice for "Standard" "Speech" and "Surround Sound." I set it to Surround Sound. It continued to work until it just stopped as mentioned in the first post. Now then I press the TONE button, I only get the Bass and Treble options and it doesn't progress to the Standard, Speech or Surround Sound modes.

Everything else about the radio works fine, press the MUTE button, and the word "Muted" appears, the seek function works, the preset radio stations work, which makes me think that the head unit isn't completely toast. I'm going to take it to the dealer and see if they can hook up the Star system.

Is it possible there is a connection in the back of the radio where the speaker wire plugs in? The reason I ask is because the dealer did have the dash about a couple months ago fixing an A/C outlet servo that doesn't opening. I'm sure they had to have the radio out to get to that fix.

TONE button?! So then you don't have standard audio and can disregard everything I said. You could have a bad amp or a problem with your fiber optic loop.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Thanks everyone for your time in replying. I thought of something else that MAY have contributed to this: About a week or so ago, I pressed the TONE button and it came up with Bass, Treble, then a choice for "Standard" "Speech" and "Surround Sound." I set it to Surround Sound. It continued to work until it just stopped as mentioned in the first post. Now when I press the TONE button, I only get the Bass and Treble options and it doesn't progress to the Standard, Speech or Surround Sound modes.

Is it possible there is a connection in the back of the radio where the speaker wire plugs in? The reason I ask is because the dealer did have the dash apart a couple months ago fixing an A/C outlet servo that wasn't opening. I'm sure they had to have the radio out to get to that fix.

i don't think a standard radio has a Surround Sound setting. do me a favor go out to your car and look on the rear partial shelf on the drivers side. does it say hk. https://mbworld.org/forums/members/s...ure8182-a.html look at this pic you can see that it has writing on it. as i said before you don't have to have a fancy hu to have the hk system. it can look like this http://www.kenrockwell.com/mercedes/...40-console.jpg and still have hk. since the dealer just worked on it i would take it back to them even if you are out of warranty and just tell them to check the connections because something could have just come loose. their is a connector that all it does is the speakers which would make since if it came loose the radio would still work but you would not have sound.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:26 PM

Samaritry, I'll be darned, but it does have a HK system, but it has the standard head just like you have in your pictures. I guess this changes everything. Is there a separate fuse for the amp on this system? If so, where do I look for it?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Samaritry, I'll be darned, but it does have a HK system, but it has the standard head just like you have in your pictures. I guess this changes everything. Is there a separate fuse for the amp on this system? If so, where do I look for it?
no clue on fuse consult your fuse guide if you don't know where it is i will go take a pic for you because i am in a helpful mood. ok didn't you say something about the cd changer not responding or something because the fiber cable could have come undone. also you said that the surround thing is gone which leads me to believe your hu cannot talk to your amp and cd changer through the fiber cable. or because a fuse blew. or because the dealer put the hu back in a crushed the fiber cable. or sadly enough the amp blew up. i will go take the pic for you right now.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
even better just saw this https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...e-box-map.html. should be the same for your car because the person that posted it BabyBenz6spd has a 05 c230 so i assume he took the pic himself. looks like 26 is what you need to check. also to find the map/fusebox you need open the drivers door and their is a door to the left of the dash. here is a pick it is a rh drive but looks the same on the correct side of a proper rhd drive car. btw it is the guys face i got carried away with paint the best program ever!!

Last edited by samaritrey; 10-04-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:30 PM

The conclusion of this post reminds me of that old saying KISS -- Keep It Simple Stupid. In this case, I'm the "stupid." I went to the owner's manual, found the location of the fuses. One for the radio is on the left side of the dash where it meets the door. The second is under the hood on the driver side near the firewall. Anyhow, located both fuses, they looked fine, reinstall them, and (drum roll please), the radio works fine. Can only figure that one of the two fuses was loose.

Thanks again to everyone for their help on this. I did learn one thing, I do have the HK sound system.
The following users liked this post:
Efren Orozco (05-06-2020)
Old 10-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Thanks again to everyone for their help on this. I did learn one thing, I do have the HK sound system.
i am glad everything turned out good for you hopefully you don't have an amp failing which would make more sense then a loose fuse but lets hope i am wrong. now go enjoy your hk system
Old 10-04-2009, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 c230 S.S.
swapping the fuses worked for me too. i think its worth giving it a try before you automatically assume its the amp. glad to hear everything worked out, now cross your fingers it doesnt happen again
Old 10-05-2009, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This kind of repeated failure of the HK system makes me glad my car doesn't have one. I can't understand Benz dropping their contract with Bose. I never read of a failing Bose system on here.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
This kind of repeated failure of the HK system makes me glad my car doesn't have one. I can't understand Benz dropping their contract with Bose. I never read of a failing Bose system on here.
Problem with Bose is that most of their speakers (with the exception of the wave radio) sound like crap. This is especially true of their car audio. Our 02 E class has bose and everyone agrees that the stock audio on the 05 C sounds far superior (the bose has no highs and no lows as they saying goes).

To the original poster - I doubt the problem is a loose fuse. You probably have a lose or kinked fiber causing the MOST loop to shut down. Pulling the fuse reset the radio until the next time the fiber loop craps out. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

Last edited by acr2001; 10-05-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by acr2001
Problem with Bose is that most of their speakers (with the exception of the wave radio) sound like crap. This is especially true of their car audio. Our 02 E class has bose and everyone agrees that the stock audio on the 05 C sounds far superior (the bose has no highs and no lows as they saying goes).
Had a C300 loaner once with the Multimedia package that came with the HK Logic7.. this was back before I got the 135i. I had an 08 G37 with Bose Studio-On-Wheels system. No contest. The Infiniti system was amazing. The HK in the Benz was ok.

I've never owned a Benz car with Bose. But I've owned Acura and Infiniti and I was always very impressed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NO SOUND FROM RADIO