C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203 Rear Folding Seats / Ski-Sack / Retrofit / Removing Back Seat Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203 Rear Folding Seats / Ski-Sack / Retrofit / Removing Back Seat Thread

I would like to remove the "back" portion of the rear seat in my C sedan. Can anyone tell me if this is a simple procedure and, if so, give me a quick overview of the steps.

I would appreciate the information.

In case anyone is curious I am trying to locate a rattle in the rear that sounds like it's coming from that area and if this is simple to do I would like to check it out myself. The noise is hard to detect and it would be difficult to replicate easily for the dealership techs.

Thanks to all,

John R.
Old 01-07-2002, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
just bring it to the dealer, make them take off the seats and do the dirty work. Just blast the stereo, that will make it rattle.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:26 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Re: Removal of back seat of C320

Originally posted by jnjrowland
I am trying to locate a rattle in the rear that sounds like it's coming from that area and if this is simple to do I would like to check it out myself. The noise is hard to detect and it would be difficult to replicate easily for the dealership techs.
John: You THINK the rattle is coming from the seat, but it may not be the seat at all. There have been posts about rattles in the package shelf, for example. Insulation, or in some cases the first aid kit (right side) is moving around.

Do you have the C3 package (folding rear seats)? I do. If so, maybe the seat bottom is not fully engaged and rattling from there. Or the seat backs are not fully locked in position. Or the ski bag is loose in its mount. Or the retractable cup holder is vibrating in the fold down rear arm rest. You see, it could be one of several items.

It's up to you, but I'd advise letting the dealer do the diagnosing. At least if they mess up, it's on their nickel and they'll make it right. Seriously.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 01-07-2002 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:24 PM

Value of 60/40 Seats on Sedan

Just curious how many sedan owners with the C4 option actually ever fold down their seats / use it.

Is trunk space adequate for golf clubs, etc without this option? $450 for C4 seems like a lot, especially since my other car is an SUV.

Is this a make-or-break feature in the resale market?

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2003, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
I think a set of clubs will fit in the sedan's trunk. They don't fit in the coupe, but the sedan actually has some rear overhang, so I'd hope that they'd fit in there.

Other than that, I've folded down the seats in my Coupe maybe twice in the year that I've owned it. So if one of the sedan owners confirms that a set of clubs would fit, I wouldn't think that in the resale market it would add that much.

Cheers, BT

Last edited by trench; 03-05-2003 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Actually, it's C3. I decided not to get it because I had fold down rear seats in my Passat and there was sometimes noise from the frames, etc. I wanted my MB to be as quiet as possible. Also, I believe you lose some structural rigidity with the folding seats since there is less bracing across the back frame. That said, I did find it convenient on occasion over the 3 years I owned it.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:27 PM
CRB

Originally posted by MarkL
Actually, it's C3. I decided not to get it because I had fold down rear seats in my Passat and there was sometimes noise from the frames, etc. I wanted my MB to be as quiet as possible. Also, I believe you lose some structural rigidity with the folding seats since there is less bracing across the back frame. That said, I did find it convenient on occasion over the 3 years I owned it.
Structural rigidity can indeed be compromised by fold-down seats. Let us hope Mercedes had the forethought to stiffen the car accordingly.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by CRB
Structural rigidity can indeed be compromised by fold-down seats. Let us hope Mercedes had the forethought to stiffen the car accordingly.
I especially hope so on the coupe. It has fold down seats and also a glass roof. I imagine it has pretty strong supports in the roof in between the two glass panels. But if it didn't, it would probably twist like crazy.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:14 AM

2001 C320 Sport
It should be standard.

I almost didn't get the car because of the rear seats
not folding down. I use this option occasionally for
random things. I recently went skiing and
threw my skiis(200's) in the back, fit diagonally .
It was last minute desicsion, but none the less
it makes the car more use full.

As for golf clubs, depending on bag etc the folddown
would probably allow for 4 sets of clubs when both
seat sides are down.

Ignor any comments on structural integrity being
an issue.

Other notes. I can't remove the middle head rest.
This is a problem as I want to use the middle for
a child seat but the top hits the head rest !@#$
I believe this is true for cars with the split
seats but I could be wrong.

Also, I am missing a 'LATCH' point on the right rear
side. The manual doesn't say the split seats cause
this, so maybe it's just missing from the vehicle.

Best wishes,
Old 03-13-2003, 05:38 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
I have the C3 option on my car and was only too happy to pay $400 to get it (2001). It's probably the cheapest option you can buy on the car. I have used it several times on out-of-town trips to maximize luggage carrying capacity (several trips home with X-mas presents in addition to luggage, pet carrier, etc.) The trunk is roomier than the equivalent Bimmer, but it is not huge. My standard set of golf clubs/bag fit nicely across the trunk (parallel with the axle) without fuss.

I like the looks I get from the Home Depot people when I fold down the rear seats to fit in some 2x4's too. Hauling construction materials in my MB. Next time I'll wear my suspenders to Home Depot, too.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, it comes standard on my car. But if I were to pay $400 for it, I will certainly do so. Folding seats is not something that you will use it everyday, but it will be very handy when called upon. I was picking up some wheels the other day and the loaner that I've got (a C240) did not have fold down seats and I have to make two trips in order to transport 4 wheels from place A to place B. I am sure if the car has fold down seats, I can stack one wheel on top of the other and I dont have to make a second trip.

Get it, its worth it.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Re: It should be standard.

Originally posted by crackerm
the folddown
would probably allow for 4 sets of clubs when both
seat sides are down.
But then you would only be able to carry two people, so why do you need 4 sets of clubs??
Old 03-14-2003, 11:25 AM

LMAO Matt.

After first reading Harris' post I thought, "yeah, being able to carry 4 sets of clubs would be good...". Then your argument struck me about two hours later - Still, Harris and Bob offer good arguments. I'm going to have to practice jamming some stuff into the car at the dealer.

So what about those structural integrity comments? What is the back seat build like without the option? A bunch of steel beams?
Old 03-14-2003, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by AudiDude
So what about those structural integrity comments? What is the back seat build like without the option? A bunch of steel beams?
I doubt there is much difference. They build these cars pretty strong. You probably would never notice any difference in handling whether you have fold down seat or not.

It's kinda like strut tower bars. Many people say they don't do much in the benz because it is so stiff already, but lots of japanese cars benefit from them because they don't have as strong of a chassis.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:12 AM

2003 C32
2003 Sedan Folding Seats Question

Hey everybody,

I did a search on this, but not-so-surprisingly, nobody has pictures of their trunk posted. I noticed on 2002 and earlier MBs that the releases for the folding rear seats have a red label on them. My 03 doesn't have those red labels (it's just nonlabeled black), so I wanted to ask if any of you with 03 sedans have these stickers or if eliminating them was a cost cutting move.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-15-2003, 07:28 PM

rear folding seats

has anyone ever attempted to retrofit the folding rear seat into the sedan? i'm wondering if this is at all feasible and what parts i would need... i have a box w/ two 10" subs in the back and the amps are behind it... making it a pain in the *** to make adjustments w/o the rear folding seats. i didn't even know it was an option since it's pretty much standard on most cars.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
You will have a big job if you attempt this because you will have to modify the structure of the car.

You have to ask yourself if that is worth it just to turn a couple of knobs on an amp. Its going to be a lot cheaper to remount the amp or to buy a new one with remote capability.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:54 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 c320
Removing Rear Seats -- NEED Help!!

Hi all, I'm installing a new amp and I need to remove the rear seats (bottom and top). Does anyone know how to go about this? Pics with instructions would be very appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:09 AM

07' ML350
if u have the sedan with the fixed rear seats (non split folding), just look at the bottom of the rear seat adjoining the carpet, there are 3 plastic covers one in d middle and one of each side. these plastics have 2slits in them, pry these with a flatscrew driver, and it should reveal a bolt beneath. remove the bolt..and voila! the rear seat is removed! as for the seatback...........u hav to ask the others.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:12 AM

w203
Centre rear armrest

I am trying to decide to mount my DVD player in the glove box (no space for the changer later on) or mount it in the rear centre arm rest,

Can i cut where the ski hole is suppose to be, i dont ahve folding seats,

also what is meant to be stored in there, there is space for something i just dont know what

THANKS
Old 06-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Re: Centre rear armrest

Originally posted by r207
I am trying to decide to mount my DVD player in the glove box (no space for the changer later on) or mount it in the rear centre arm rest,

Can i cut where the ski hole is suppose to be, i dont ahve folding seats,

also what is meant to be stored in there, there is space for something i just dont know what

THANKS
...um, the space is there to store the folding arm rest in the stowed position.

But seriously, I don't know what they call it today, but my car has the C3 package (folding rear seats with ski pass-through). If there is any extra space on cars not so equipped, it is because the folding sack that lines the ski pass-through is not there. The sack is about 1" to 1-1/2" thick and is stowed in the extra space, I presume, which is actually a hole in the seatback, as you have stated..
Old 06-07-2004, 07:19 PM

w203
that must be it, the space is about 1.5 inches thick
Old 11-25-2004, 02:35 AM

A split question

So I have looked at options listed in your sigs. I haven't noticed hardly any that mention Split folding rear seats. Does noone buy this option? I ordered it on my car that I am still waiting for.

Basically, I don't want to rent a uhaul to pick up a 2x4 peice of wood. I guess I could stick it sideways through open windows, but would have to remove prior to pulling into garage unless I wanted to mod my car into a covertible

So do you guys get split seats and not include in your sigs or is there a reason not to get this option? Just wondering and passing time till the car shows up.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:36 AM

A split question

So I have looked at options listed in your sigs. I haven't noticed hardly any that mention Split folding rear seats. Does noone buy this option? I ordered it on my car that I am still waiting for.

Basically, I don't want to rent a uhaul to pick up a 2x4 peice of wood. I guess I could stick it sideways through open windows, but would have to remove prior to pulling into garage unless I wanted to mod my car into a covertible

So do you guys get split seats and not include in your sigs or is there a reason not to get this option?
Old 11-25-2004, 02:37 AM

A Split Question

So I have looked at options listed in your sigs. I have noticed most don't mention Split folding rear seats for the SS. Doesn't anybody buy this option? I ordered it on my car that I am still waiting for.

So do you guys get split seats and not include in your sigs or is there a reason not to get this option?

Last edited by Bens-Benz; 11-25-2004 at 02:47 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W203 Rear Folding Seats / Ski-Sack / Retrofit / Removing Back Seat Thread