C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How often should you change your transmission fluid on an auto 7speed gearbox?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 04:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C280
How often should you change your transmission fluid on an auto 7speed gearbox?

I have a W204 C280. The title of the thread says it all. SO, How often should you change your transmission fluid on an auto 7speed gearbox? Obviously none of that BMW lifetime transmission fluid nonsense with our cars here!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204, W220, S15 Silvia
gearbox oil last a very long time, but if u ask me, i would do it at around 50k to 60k KM mark
Old 10-15-2010, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Albert - Every 60,000 Km or 38,000miles is Benz recommendation outside the US in ROW. I strongly suggest you stick to that. I can show you the SA, Vietnam, China & Europe recommendations.

The US one change at 38,000 only & nothing after that, after originally saying it was filled for life is BS. I have plenty of fluid sample analyses from the 722.9 transmission & they need their change every 60,000Km even with the new long life synthtic fluid.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E400 4Matic
I just had mine changed at the dealership at 45,000 miles (I was a little late getting this done) and my service advisor told me that I would not have to get it done again. Its a one time deal, which I find hard to believe, but if thats what they say then, case closed.

I do find it hard to believe though that if I still have the car when it has say 200,000 miles on it for example, that the fluid would not need to be changed.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
I just got mine done too, a little early just over 38K miles and it cost about $400 with a $50 off coupon which basically paid for tax...

I kind of quizzed my new SA on the process and what they see in the trans. oil that comes out of the car. Interestingly he told me that there is no gunk in the oil, no metal shavings, etc. He admitted that originally MB did not feel that this service was ever needed but there were some problems early on with the new 7 speed that led to this service being required. HOWEVER...the problem with the early 7's was due to a "valve body" that required replacing on some models NOT the trans fluid apparently...interesting. I kind of think that the trans flush is not really needed and is just a huge profit maker for MB BUT I decided to err on the side of caution on this one since the cost of a new trans is too extreme for me. Anyone on here not going to have it done or think it's a bogus service?

My SA also said that his techs were pissed when MB made this a necessary service since the process is a huge pain in the a**. This is one service I wouldn't have done anywhere but at the dealership, sounds very complex when he explained it to me.

Last edited by MBnewby; 10-15-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Albert - Every 60,000 Km or 38,000miles is Benz recommendation outside the US in ROW. I strongly suggest you stick to that. I can show you the SA, Vietnam, China & Europe recommendations.

The US one change at 38,000 only & nothing after that, after originally saying it was filled for life is BS. I have plenty of fluid sample analyses from the 722.9 transmission & they need their change every 60,000Km even with the new long life synthtic fluid.
Glyn,

Is the 722.9 transmission the 7 speed automatic that's in the 2008-current?

If it is, what are your findings in the analysis you referred to?
Old 10-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by johnlk25
I just had mine changed at the dealership at 45,000 miles (I was a little late getting this done) and my service advisor told me that I would not have to get it done again. Its a one time deal, which I find hard to believe, but if thats what they say then, case closed.

I do find it hard to believe though that if I still have the car when it has say 200,000 miles on it for example, that the fluid would not need to be changed.
MBUSA is depending on the US throw away mentality & that your market does not have the life expectations of a Merc that ROW has.

Filled for the rest of it's life = short life - case closed!
Old 10-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MBnewby
I just got mine done too, a little early just over 38K miles and it cost about $400 with a $50 off coupon which basically paid for tax...

I kind of quizzed my new SA on the process and what they see in the trans. oil that comes out of the car. Interestingly he told me that there is no gunk in the oil, no metal shavings, etc. He admitted that originally MB did not feel that this service was ever needed but there were some problems early on with the new 7 speed that led to this service being required. HOWEVER...the problem with the early 7's was due to a "valve body" that required replacing on some models NOT the trans fluid apparently...interesting. I kind of think that the trans flush is not really needed and is just a huge profit maker for MB BUT I decided to err on the side of caution on this one since the cost of a new trans is too extreme for me. Anyone on here not going to have it done or think it's a bogus service?

My SA also said that his techs were pissed when MB made this a necessary service since the process is a huge pain in the a**. This is one service I wouldn't have done anywhere but at the dealership, sounds very complex when he explained it to me.
This change is not too bad to DIY - Johnand is constucting a thread on the W203 forum on how to do it. He's just done his - only problem he had was achieving pan gasket seal - pan was redesigned & uses aluminium stretch bolts. He now has that licked. He has posted the full WIS procedure with tips.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimPap
Glyn,

Is the 722.9 transmission the 7 speed automatic that's in the 2008-current?

If it is, what are your findings in the analysis you referred to?
722.9 transmission is the 7G Tronic as fitted from 2006 to w203 V6 models & inception to date fitment to the gasoline Auto W204's excluding Diesels which use the 722.6 5 speed due to their torque characteristics.

The only changes to the 722.9 over the period have been:
A number of software changes & modification to the valve body to prevent the speed sensor from chewing it's way into the electrohydraulic unit housing. (wear)
The plastic stand pipe has also been modified as has the pan which used to distort & leak.

Proprietary sample analysis to date by our additive company shows that the oil at 60,000Km is showing signs of oxidation & rising particulates - no longer aluminium from the wearing speed sensor but some gear wear debris & mainly wear debris from multi-wetplate clutch & TC brake clutches/bands. It's not awful but will lead to filter clogging over time.

I have seen one occasion where a 722.9 tried to ingest it's clogged oil filter & lost drive. This box had done 120,000Km without change and I'm suspicious that it had run a bit low on fluid at some time thereby stressing the remaining oil charge.

If you want long service life & consistent gear change characteristics then there is no doubt that a fluid change every 60,000Km is required as recommended by Benz in ROW. Same goes for the 722.6 using the latest fluid.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 10-16-2010 at 09:34 AM.