More Crossfire Intake mods-Waldig does it again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
More Crossfire Intake mods-Waldig does it again

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-srt6/44102-sometime-takes-couple-tries.html

Been working for a while doing tests and track time to see if I could prove to Rob that I could get 40% more air thru his manifolds. He gave me his first set and off I went doing things like crossconnecting the intakes.

It became apparent to me that the intake was limited by the restriction in the wye pipe area. The s/c tries to blow into both intakes and the valves suck out of the head separately.
THis means that the air has to fill and be sucked out of the intake manifold, which is why Needswings make them much larger to hold more capacity.

I took the approach of crossconnecting them so that the wye pipes fed both manifolds and they shared the LOAD. THis allowed the intakes to have at least 1/2 restriction of the stock approach. Now both intakes supply air to the intake valves and thus the "pressure" stays UP better. This allows deeper charging of the cyclinders as they have very little pressure drop from the wye to the intake valve. Further there is much more storage so that the pressure does not fluctuate as much when each valve opens up on the intake cycle.

The photos show my latest crossconnect pipe which seems to allow better installation. Rob has seen the design and who knows if there are good enough results on the dyno, yall might could get u some. Now that Iam getting comfortable with the layout, I need to run off to the dyno for a spin. Work affords me little time, and this saturday were due for 102F..........Yikes

Photos should be self explanitory and informative. Its been a hoot to do and I figgured that It should be shown to all of u all. The work on the throttle body delay is getting bench time so this intake manifold project is considered mature and ready for the final exam, the dyno. Ill keep you informed as details appear. Wee having fun and doing good things.

Too bad we're missing out AGAIN!!

Old 09-24-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo
Btw after talking with rob and providing measurements those intakes do fit our cars, however, the sl55 and the current stock airboxes do not fit, we would just need to make a custom splitter from the t/b
Old 09-24-2010, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by OverDrive
Btw after talking with rob and providing measurements those intakes do fit our cars, however, the sl55 and the current stock airboxes do not fit, we would just need to make a custom splitter from the t/b
meh.....rob told me otherwise

there is no room for the NW intake to attach to the TB.....the firewall is too close and does not provide sufficient clearance (thus...your reason for making the custom splitter, which yes would need to be done)...

but also, we don't have the same air inlets up front. we won't be able to get as much air into the car like the crossfires can.... we can't put the intake up front of the radiator like they can by removing those radiator plastic flaps or whatever they call it....where they can also attach the devil horns.......

and regardless of measurements, rob has a local c32 (either his or someone) that he makes stuff on so i don't see why he wouldn't be able to come up with it on his own with his own measurements on the car in his shop

.....i do hope you are right though. i would love to improve my intake for sure. here's to hoping
Old 09-24-2010, 05:35 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
damn cool looking stuff all over the engine bay!!! lol

too bad our firewall clearance just sucks vs the r170's.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
That would have to make 50+ hp for me to stick that ugly conglomeration on my car.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
That would have to make 50+ hp for me to stick that ugly conglomeration on my car.
No one sees that "ugly conglomeration", they ONLY see your tailights??
Old 09-24-2010, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
If it does what it's suppose to, I could care less how it looks. If it gives me 25whp then I would consider it a piece of art.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
God..!!! My computer at work wont download the images..!!! I WANNA SEE..!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:16 PM

Volvo
Originally Posted by jturkel
meh.....rob told me otherwise

there is no room for the NW intake to attach to the TB.....the firewall is too close and does not provide sufficient clearance (thus...your reason for making the custom splitter, which yes would need to be done)...

but also, we don't have the same air inlets up front. we won't be able to get as much air into the car like the crossfires can.... we can't put the intake up front of the radiator like they can by removing those radiator plastic flaps or whatever they call it....where they can also attach the devil horns.......

and regardless of measurements, rob has a local c32 (either his or someone) that he makes stuff on so i don't see why he wouldn't be able to come up with it on his own with his own measurements on the car in his shop

.....i do hope you are right though. i would love to improve my intake for sure. here's to hoping

Ya i been fireing emails off left and right with him the last couple weeks. I provide measurements with pictures with almost every angle. They fit, but ya Throttle body wise we will have to come up with something, even that, I dont mind loosing a few cfm just to modified Needwings manifold to get them to fit, its still an improvement on what we have.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
If we could figure out how to raise and the throttle body a bit and move it slightly closer to the front, then we shouldn't have a problem. I also think we have more than enough clearance as far as the hood is concerned to make this work.

Looking at these makes me wonder how difficult it would be to make custom top mounted intercooler/manifolds similar to what the SLR uses. Essentially it looks like it's an intake manifold with small radiators all in one. That would be awesome to do and then we could even eliminate our intercooler or supplement it even more.

Last edited by loudandheard; 09-25-2010 at 11:51 AM.