Weekend Projects....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 55
Weekend Projects....

OK so since it was only about 110 today I finsihed half of what I set out to do...

First project was install Euro Comand.

I used some installation insturctions found on this board...

First Removed ash tray.

Then lift up on the front of the wood panel around gear lever, once that is out you can see two hex screws that hold the CD changer in place.

Remove changer & unplug wire connectors.

After CD changer is out you will see two more size 20 Hex screws, unscrew these until they stop turning, they will not fall out. Once those are loose the Head unit will slide right out. Unplug the two connectors and remove.

Re-install everything back and your good to go..

I also had the code that enabled the in motion viewing. This worked like a charm. The picture is great!! and the sound is even better!!

Ok next project was Renntech Steering Wheel.

To remove the steering wheel you will need a size 30 Hex head, I have one that has a socked end which was needed because you have a short area to work with.

Once you remove the two screws, one on each side, the airbag becomes loose and removable. At this time is when you should disconnect the battery. There are two connectors orange & green with little tabs that lift off, to remove the connectors.

To remove the wheel you will need a large allan, preferablly one with a socked end so you can torque it down correctly. Be sure you have the wheel in a perfect straight position so when you put the new one on its centered correctly. I then removed the shifter buttons on the back of the stock wheel, along with the silver bracked you see above. This is what the shifter wires plug into, as well as the buttons on the airbag for the stereo and computer.

sorry its blurry, but you can see how thick the Renntech wheel is.

And here is the before and after..

Old 07-22-2006, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
///E63V10 ///F80CS ///Can-Am X3 XRS
You got skills Kevin. The Renntech steering wheel, it's thicker but the diameter is the same size as your stock?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Originally Posted by JAY55
You got skills Kevin. The Renntech steering wheel, it's thicker but the diameter is the same size as your stock?
Skills to pay the bills

I just measured it buy putting the stock one over the front of the Renntech, is about 1/2" less in diameter, then the stock one.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:11 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Nice work Kevin! Thanks for posting pics of the COMAND replacement, my BE-7039 (is that the model you used?) is on its way from Lithuania and I'll probably try do the swap myself. Did the MUTE+END+SERV then *#< codes get you to where you could enable DVD in motion and MP3 functionality ? Also are you now getting RDS with radio ? I may try to swap the buttons between the USA and Euro COMAND units so the Euro one will look just like the USA version. Apparently the snap on and off pretty easily -- anyone done this ?

I also want a new steering wheel (Alcantara and piano black lacquer wood) but am holding off until one of the tuners offers one with the 2007 AMG paddle-style shifters. Brabus may already have one, need to check on this.

Are you going to get a new shift knob too ? I want a piano black lacquer one for mine.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 07-22-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check my Sig
Kev, where did you get the Euro Command unit?
Old 07-22-2006, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Originally Posted by ekovalsky
Nice work Kevin! Thanks for posting pics of the COMAND replacement, my BE-7039 (is that the model you used?) is on its way from Lithuania and I'll probably try do the swap myself. Did the MUTE+END+SERV then *#< codes get you to where you could enable DVD in motion and MP3 functionality ? Also are you now getting RDS with radio ? I may try to swap the buttons between the USA and Euro COMAND units so the Euro one will look just like the USA version. Apparently the snap on and off pretty easily -- anyone done this ?

I also want a new steering wheel (Alcantara and piano black lacquer wood) but am holding off until one of the tuners offers one with the 2007 AMG paddle-style shifters. Brabus may already have one, need to check on this.

Are you going to get a new shift knob too ? I want a piano black lacquer one for mine.
Thanks Eric, yes its a 7039 as well, also came from Lithuania, the guy on ebay naviandbmwparts And yes the codes worked perfectly, first thing was trying to find the menu to switch the language to English. Once that was done, I turned region free DVD on, then when it comes to the driver distract feature which is driving with DVD on, you just unselect all choices then its good to go. I forgot to check RDS with the radio, I'll check it tomorrow, to damn hot in the garage now

Yes Brabus has a paddle shifter wheel, I'm hoping the factory one from the 63 will be a snap on to the existing 55 wheel.

I liked the Brabus shifter, but since I have keyless go, it won't work.

Last edited by Kevin M.; 07-22-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Originally Posted by Itzkirb
Kev, where did you get the Euro Command unit?
Ebay Kirby... naviandbmwparts is his ID
Old 07-23-2006, 01:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2004 S500
Next Project.....A/C in the Garage!!
Old 07-23-2006, 01:49 AM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Same guy I got mine from. Researched him a bit and seems to be legit. Price was a fraction of what they sell for in the USA.

Pretty sure the 63 wheel will not work with the 55. Cars apparently have different electronics -- at least that is what was mentioned in another thread on MBWorld a while back.

I'll check out the Brabus wheel and shifter.

If it makes you feel any better, it was 119 degrees here yesterday

Originally Posted by Kevin M.
Thanks Eric, yes its a 7039 as well, also came from Lithuania, the guy on ebay naviandbmwparts And yes the codes worked perfectly, first thing was trying to find the menu to switch the language to English. Once that was done, I turned region free DVD on, then when it comes to the driver distract feature which is driving with DVD on, you just unselect all choices then its good to go. I forgot to check RDS with the radio, I'll check it tomorrow, to damn hot in the garage now

Yes Brabus has a paddle shifter wheel, I'm hoping the factory one from the 63 will be a snap on to the existing 55 wheel.

I liked the Brabus shifter, but since I have keyless go, it won't work.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Originally Posted by sprink49
Next Project.....A/C in the Garage!!
No doubt, trust me I was shopping them last week.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Will sirius work with the Euro head unit?
Old 07-23-2006, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Originally Posted by ekovalsky
Same guy I got mine from. Researched him a bit and seems to be legit. Price was a fraction of what they sell for in the USA.

Pretty sure the 63 wheel will not work with the 55. Cars apparently have different electronics -- at least that is what was mentioned in another thread on MBWorld a while back.

I'll check out the Brabus wheel and shifter.

If it makes you feel any better, it was 119 degrees here yesterday
Eric,
He was lacking on sending tracking, but after about two weeks it showed up. It really comes down to the plastic shift button fitting into the stock position, the wiring is a very simple plug that goes into the wheel. It's merely a cosmetic thing to have the paddle.

I went for a drive and tried the RDS, there was one setting that wouldn't take, and the other one did, but I didn't see anything different. OK the RDS is working, however locally I only get some station info, I can't see song titles or artist's. I get call letters and some other wording like, Alternative station, or a web site address.

We set a record here in Fresno 112!! AC in garage is next weekend project!!

Last edited by Kevin M.; 07-23-2006 at 02:57 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Originally Posted by can drive 55
Will sirius work with the Euro head unit?
Quoted from Steve...

This 357 thing has made it possible for us to install a SAT radio receiver AND TV in Scorchies 2003 E55 with Euro comand...he is able to watch DVDs and listen to SAT radio by changing the comand from ECE to US mode (which is quite unpractical as it involves being parked for at least 3 minutes at the side of the road)...while changing from/to US/ECE, the navigation voice also changes from US to britchick and back..
Old 07-23-2006, 07:14 PM

magLipVE
kevin, your posts are always eye candy!
Old 07-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' Clk 500 Cabriolet, 01' CL 55, 00' Clk 430
Kevin M.

Damn, you got skill !! Maybe you can help me out here with my problem. I bought a clear mirror turn signal lens for mine 2001 CL but i'm still trying to figure out how to remove the mirror glass without remove the whole mirror housing from the car so i can change out the clear mirror signal lens. I believe once the mirror glass is remove the rest is easy. I've removed the mirror glass on mine Slk before and it was very easy. Hold the bottom of the glass, pull it out and tilt it up at the same time and it just pop out. I try that on mine CL and I give up after 5 mins trying because it about 115 degree in the garage. I would be really appreciated if you or anyone can help me.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Thanks Guys~!!

CLK & SLK, sorry I don't have experience with removing the housing.
Did you try just prying off the clear lens separately, without taking the mirror out?
Old 07-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' Clk 500 Cabriolet, 01' CL 55, 00' Clk 430
CLK & SLK, sorry I don't have experience with removing the housing.
Did you try just prying off the clear lens separately, without taking the mirror out?

No, you can't pry the clear lens out because it got 4 screws hold it from the inside housing. I have no problem pried out the mirror glass on mine Slk but it on the CL, it doesn't want to come out and i didn't want to break it. I'll try again when the weather are cooler. Thank you anyway.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:29 PM

CLS55, 335i, A6, Prius
Hey Kevin (check your PM)...what did you search under in ebay to find the seller...I've checked all over, even searched ebay stores under that name and nothing...zilch...anyways, give me a link to that seller, I would like to order as well, since you've made it so clear as to the switch out...

thanks, and don't forget to check your pm...talk to you soon
Old 07-24-2006, 05:20 PM

magLipVE
here you go bud. i just bought the amg one yesterday

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRABU...spagenameZWD1V
Old 07-24-2006, 08:12 PM

E55
Question.. I have a 2003 E55 with out nav.. Will the euro nav unit work?? Will it be plug and play?? Im sure i would need to run a cable for the nav unit.. But will the indash dvd work and the cd changer and radio all work like normal??

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Originally Posted by Griffin337
Question.. I have a 2003 E55 with out nav.. Will the euro nav unit work?? Will it be plug and play?? Im sure i would need to run a cable for the nav unit.. But will the indash dvd work and the cd changer and radio all work like normal??

Thanks!
I would think a Euro unit would work, but you probably won't have navigation, unless you bought the whole unit, the in dash unit should play DVD's and CD's The guy I bought mine from has a ebay auction running for the complete system, currently at $1100
Old 07-25-2006, 04:14 AM

2006 SLK55 AMG
what do you do for a living Kevin, if you dont mind me asking
Old 07-25-2006, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
I would think a Euro unit would work, but you probably won't have navigation, unless you bought the whole unit, the in dash unit should play DVD's and CD's The guy I bought mine from has a ebay auction running for the complete system, currently at $1100

............very good job!

Ted
Old 07-25-2006, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55
Originally Posted by nishi
what do you do for a living Kevin, if you dont mind me asking
Broadcasting Business, TV stations
Old 07-26-2006, 03:23 PM

CLS55
Hey Kevin,

I was thinking about swapping out my US COMAND for the EURO but Steve told me that I would also need a new VR module. Does your Voice Command system still work with the EURO COMAND?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weekend Projects....