Sponsored by:

Tuning for OM642

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Tuning for OM642

Hello all. New member, patiently awaiting my CL55 AMG!

In the meantime, I'm looking for proper tuning options for my engine. Presently, I'm using a tuning box. I have noticed great gains, but just don't feel safe with all-stock hardware.

Now, hopefully MBWorld will still embrace this post, as my engine is not embedded within a MB.... -It's a Jeep.

Again, this is my little "project" until the CL is in view.

So, what options do I have for:
------------------------------
Turbo
Injectors
CP3
Lift Pump
(others?)

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Re-mapping the ECU prob, unless you want to spend lots of $ for a bigger turbo, exhasut manifold, adapters and bigger inj's along with the remap.

Try speed tuning usa dot com.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Pretty much the only options at this point are tuning boxes... Unfortunately, the aftermarket has not gone very far to support MB diesels... Unlike for Ford Chevy and Dodge. I have to tell you it is frustrating to pickup a Diesel Power magazine or a Diesel World magazine where they thing that the only diesels in the world come in a pick'em'up truck.

Which tuning box are you using? I know that there are a few, but Kleeman is the only one that more people seem to trust, and they can be had directly from MB dealers.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:19 AM

Bigger hardware might just be the answer. Are turbos from any other Benz diesel model compatible or easily modded to fit?

I believe this turbo is a Garrett 2056V model (vnt).

I've called a few tuning shops who have offered to augment the FCA in the high pressure pump, as well as hone the injectors. -Still not sure about these options...?

Thanks for the website, I'll contact them to see what's available.

Originally Posted by TMAllison
Re-mapping the ECU prob, unless you want to spend lots of $ for a bigger turbo, exhasut manifold, adapters and bigger inj's along with the remap.

Try speed tuning usa dot com.

Presently, I'm using the TDC PowerBox CR+. It's done a great job, but its only plugged into the fuel rail (CR sensor). I looked into the Brabus/Startech kits, but they're producing less power for double the $$.

I'd like to install better stock components if any exist. I totally hear you on the diesel mags. Diesel Power Mag has done a little experimenting with the Jeep Diesel, but I haven't seen any updates on that for several months.

Originally Posted by Danno4x4
Pretty much the only options at this point are tuning boxes... Unfortunately, the aftermarket has not gone very far to support MB diesels... Unlike for Ford Chevy and Dodge. I have to tell you it is frustrating to pickup a Diesel Power magazine or a Diesel World magazine where they thing that the only diesels in the world come in a pick'em'up truck.

Which tuning box are you using? I know that there are a few, but Kleeman is the only one that more people seem to trust, and they can be had directly from MB dealers.

Thanks for the info guys!

Last edited by Rob CL; 01-23-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by Rob CL
Bigger hardware might just be the answer. Are turbos from any other Benz diesel model compatible or easily modded to fit?

I believe this turbo is a Garrett 2056V model (vnt).

I've called a few tuning shops who have offered to augment the FCA in the high pressure pump, as well as hone the injectors. -Still not sure about these options...?

Thanks for the website, I'll contact them to see what's available.

Presently, I'm using the TDC PowerBox CR+. It's done a great job, but its only plugged into the fuel rail (CR sensor). I looked into the Brabus/Startech kits, but they're producing less power for double the $$.

I'd like to install better stock components if any exist. I totally hear you on the diesel mags. Diesel Power Mag has done a little experimenting with the Jeep Diesel, but I haven't seen any updates on that for several months.

Thanks for the info guys!
If you have a Jeep you will be familiar with Bullydog. The Jeep diesel will be the slightly detuned Mercedes Bluetec V-6 without urea injection and can use the Bullydog tuning box #44630. They sell for US$509.99 with free shipping in continental USA.

I would suggest a tuning box and a free flowing exhaust, may be chopping some resonator-muffler off to make a straight pipe. Unless you want to go the whole way and that would get expensive quickly. It is better to get speed from your CL and leave the Jeep as a donkey.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by harkgar
I would suggest a tuning box and a free flowing exhaust, may be chopping some resonator-muffler off to make a straight pipe. Unless you want to go the whole way and that would get expensive quickly.
Thanks for the tip. I was not aware of the Bully Dog option. I've cleared the exhaust of everything except the CAT. I may remove that sometime soon.

There's a "silencer" of sorts on the high pressure side of the turbo which will be leaving soon as well.

It is better to get speed from your CL and leave the Jeep as a donkey.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350-Bluetec P1
As an FYI -- I've been told that Mercedes USA will tacitly not VOID your warranty with a KD-Box, but the BullyDog box WILL void your warranty. I called roadside, and now 2 car dealers. Use the BullyDog your own risk -- as an aside I doubt it will do any real harm, but I am leary of voiding my warranty with that product.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2015 E63, 1979 GD300, 1992 190E 2.6
Tuning box

I bought my box through the local dealership, and they claimed that they will not void my warranty because of it.

Check http://dieseltuning.com/
Old 01-25-2009, 09:29 PM

Most of these boxes generate extra power the same way. Almost all of them plug into the CR or fuel-rail pressure sensor and augment the reading, thus generating more "oomf".

To date, I've only seen one package which utilizes more than one sensor in the engine bay: the Brabus D6/Startech SD6.

Using a DashHawk device I was able to record higher boost levels (about 32psi) with the help of a friend and his Brabus-equipped OM642. I'm told that the Brabus (Startech) unit does not void the original factory warranty.

Again, the drawback for this device is the price. While the output "seems" more reliable, the three to four thousand dollars this unit commands seems a little out of touch with its benefits.

-Just my two cents.

Last edited by Rob CL; 01-26-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: in bold
Old 01-26-2009, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
What a hilarious thread!

Yup, let's put a good ol' "bullydog" box on our Mercedes. How about some "back off" mudflaps and a cigar-smoking woodpecker decal, too?

And exhausts--there's never been a Mercedes built that needed a better "exhaust system." These things burn the Autobahn just fine as is.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lkchris
What a hilarious thread!

Yup, let's put a good ol' "bullydog" box on our Mercedes. How about some "back off" mudflaps and a cigar-smoking woodpecker decal, too?

And exhausts--there's never been a Mercedes built that needed a better "exhaust system." These things burn the Autobahn just fine as is.
Ken: The American IT industry is the best in the world - Microsoft, Cisco and Intel. To say that American tuning boxes are inferior to German ones without trying them is unfair. I am prepared to do it with my own CDi when it is still under warranty.

Saving money is not the only reason for doing this. Carlsson does not sell one for MY 2006 and the old Kleemann box had mulitple connectors which does not look "plug and play". Bullydog makes the 44627 for the Dodge Sprinter vans using Mercedes Benz inline 5 engines (as well as the inline 6) and I would suspect that they sell many more for the vans. A look at the PDF file posted by someone on his new Kleemann box showed that Kleeman box fits the inline 5 engine as well as the inline 6.

Standard Mercedes exhaust systems are made to satisfy all kinds of customers, not just enthusiasts. As a result, there are lots of mufflers and "resonators" for the gases to negotiate. There were four mufflers-resonators in my sold 560 SEL that had 90 degree kinks in each of the two bends in the system, definitely not the best system for the autobahn.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bjornarhuse
I bought my box through the local dealership, and they claimed that they will not void my warranty because of it.

Check http://dieseltuning.com/
How do you find this tuning box? Please share your experience with us.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris
What a hilarious thread!

Hello. I see what you're trying to say, but it looks like your opinion is based on stereotype.

The Bullydog unit can increase the output of the engine. -Seems pretty straightforward. In this example the brand of the box really has no correlation to the general customer demographic associated with the company.

Anyhow, your constructive input on the subject of this thread is appreciated. -Have you any tuning/performance experience for this engine?

Thanks man!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2015 E63, 1979 GD300, 1992 190E 2.6
tuning chip

How do you find this tuning box? Please share your experience with us.
Well, their website lists:
DIESEL POWER® North America
7024 Barkley Drive
Delta (Vancouver)
B.C. V4E 1T6

E-Mail: america@diesel-power.com

I would start there....
Old 02-01-2009, 09:34 AM

1987 SDL; 2001 Chevy 2500HD CC, 8.1L, Allison special order; 1970 GTO LS2, 4L60E, under construction
Liquid to air intercooler. Will get you more power gains than all the rest of those mods combined.

Surprised its not been mentioned thus far.......
Old 02-01-2009, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Goatman
Liquid to air intercooler. Will get you more power gains than all the rest of those mods combined.

Surprised its not been mentioned thus far.......
G man: you are right. The standard intercooler is located behind the bumper and tiny. For places where front number plates are mandatory they will further reduce the air flow into the intercooler. I am unsure if the intercooler is of the air to air or air to liquid type. If it is the former there is room for improvement. Our Finnish friend Tuikku on this board seems to be able to cramp a huge one in front of the radiator though this may interfere with engine cooling. What do you think?
Old 02-01-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Her is another option by Powerchip. Not sure how power/price compares to the others, but still worth a look. Good luck.
I personally prefer the Kleeman unit they lists Mercedes dealers as resellers.

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/intera...sp?pid=Mer0379
Old 02-01-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Also here is another consideration to the quest for more power. It is an excerpt from Kleemanns website.

Will the 7G tronic be able to handle the power of a KLEEMANN tuning solution?

The 7 speed 7G tronic transmission (722.9) is slowly being phased in to replace the 5 speed (722.6) transmission Mercedes Benz has used for the last 5 years. All new N/A V6 and V8 vehicles are now being built with the W7A 700 variant of the 7G tronic. The WA700 variant is endurance load rated by Mercedes Benz at 760 Nm (560 lbs/ft) of torque. This means the transmission will handle this amount of power continuously with out failure. There will never be a time where one can develop this kind of power continuously on the road. Momentary load ratings are easily 35 % higher than continuous ratings. The 7G tronic transmission will easily handle the performance from a KLEEMANN conversion. The 7G tronic has been available for nearly one year and KLEEMANN has modified many of these vehicles. None of these modified vehicles has had any trouble to date, many of them having logged in excess of 64,000 km (40.000 miles).

Overview over Engines, Gearboxes and Constant Loads:

Engine Gearbox

Constant load
All 7-Speed W7A700
Old 02-01-2009, 08:07 PM

GL350-Bluetec P1
As noted before the Bullybox regardless of what their website says WILL void your warranty per MBUSA.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:02 PM

1987 SDL; 2001 Chevy 2500HD CC, 8.1L, Allison special order; 1970 GTO LS2, 4L60E, under construction
G man: you are right. The standard intercooler is located behind the bumper and tiny. For places where front number plates are mandatory they will further reduce the air flow into the intercooler. I am unsure if the intercooler is of the air to air or air to liquid type. If it is the former there is room for improvement. Our Finnish friend Tuikku on this board seems to be able to cramp a huge one in front of the radiator though this may interfere with engine cooling. What do you think?

That's an air to air intercooler. They work OK where space is limited, but they will get heat soaked. I would look at the Ford Lightning's intercooler system as the best "OEM" type design. A friend of mine who is a boost engineer with Ford (now Jaguar) had a hand in designing it.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:10 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Originally Posted by philfna
As noted before the Bullybox regardless of what their website says WILL void your warranty per MBUSA.
Incorrect. By law, the modifications/tuning cannot void a warranty or be an excuse for denying a claim unless the modification is directly responsible for causing the problem/claim.

Example: MB cannot void your engine/drivetrain warranty if you come in for an oil change and the tech finds a tuning box attached to your ECM harness. They can void the warranty if that tuning box causes an injector to fail or a headgasket to blow out.

*Yes they CAN tell there has been a tuning box installed simply by the injector burn pattern on the pistons!

That's an air to air intercooler. They work OK where space is limited, but they will get heat soaked.
Thats blatantly false information. The conditions you are describing are reversed. Air-Water intercoolers are for limited space conditions and are far more susceptible to heat soak than an air-air intercooler. Air-water is mainly for drag-race applications where ice water can be used and OEM applications where an engine package must fit into an existing body structure or space/performance limitations would restrict the effectiveness of an air-air intercooler.

Most superchargers are liquid intercooled for packaging and performance reasons, as your "engineer" "friend" would tell you if he is worth anything as an engineer. Vehicles such as the E55, Lightning and ZR1 use a blower in the engine valley so plumbing intercooler hoses would be inefficient and induce lag.

G@ssers chan handle the inefficiencies of air-water since they are rarely boosted for long. Air-air is almost always better for diesels since they always have positive manifold pressure. Air-air has an unlimited source of cool coolant (air), there are no efficiency drops from multiple energy transfers, its simpler, its cheaper and the temperature drop is much more consistent.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

240: That was a lot of helpful information to digest for an old guy.

I have noticed no mileage improvement (the same) but much better throttle response on the highway. No black smoke. No negative effects. I hope this will last.

The next thing is possible catalytic-convertorectomy, after the warranty expires. I have a couple of years to go yet.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:50 PM

LOL. More mis-information from the King.....

Enjoy everyone... LOL
Old 02-04-2009, 06:17 PM

A great accurate disscuission of the great debate between ATA and WTA intercoolers... Unless you're the king an know everything already....

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/ar.../t-116689.html

And like I've been proving for months, every time he opens his keyboard up, he's been wrong. Volvo look-a-likes beware...
Old 02-05-2009, 05:21 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
The next thing is possible catalytic-convertorectomy, after the warranty expires. I have a couple of years to go yet.
Why wait? You're going to do it eventually anyways and gutting your cat(s) will not affect the engine, drivetrain or body warranty.

And like I've been proving for months, every time he opens his keyboard up, he's been wrong.
Goatchild you really need to stop talking about yourself in the third person, it makes you look really ****** and immature. Nobody here is amused by your trolling and completely useless posts.
You only made a fool of yourself again by posting that link, it repeated and confirmed exactly what I said in post 21.

Last edited by 240D 3.0T; 02-05-2009 at 05:27 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tuning for OM642