Sponsored by:

No Crank on 1984 300D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 BMW 530i 5-Speed
No Crank on 1984 300D

I was wondering if anyone on this site could offer any help on a no crank no start issue. I checked all fuses, the battery is in good condition and I don't want to jump to conclusions on the car needing a starter.

When you cycle the ignition to start position there is no noise from the starter solenoid. I have removed the starter and was going to rewire it pulled away from the flywheel to see if the gear will attempt to engage the starter at all with good supply voltage. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:36 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
First make sure the selector is in P or N. Cycle through all the gear positions and try in N.

In front of the battery is a small rectangular box. Use a jumper wire to jump from one of the large posts to the small post with the purple wire. If it cranks, you've got an issue with the neutral safety switch or the ignition switch.
Above the accelerator pedal is a 4-wire plug with a harness that runs down to under the accelerator pedal and to the transmission tunnel. Unplug it, jumper across the two purple wires in the female plug and try to start again. If it starts, you need a NSS.

Good luck!
Old 08-28-2009, 06:40 PM

1994 BMW 530i 5-Speed
Well still no crank after performing those tests. I'm double checking the charge of the battery on a power supply. I think I will have the starter tested at an Oreilly's or similar. Glow plugs are heating properly per the indicator light. Is there a lockout for any fault in the glow plug system that would kill power to the starter?
Old 08-29-2009, 02:50 PM

1994 BMW 530i 5-Speed
Had the starter checked. Starter tested good. Going to double check connections and test again.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Banned

1984 300D,82 Volvo Diesel
There is no interlock that works with the Glow Plugs to keep your starter from cranking.

Below is a pic of that junction block in front of the Battery that was spoken of before (it is supposed to have a plastic cover over it).
The bunch of wires bolted down to the left are on the same strip of metal and are hooked to the (+) of the Battery.

To the right there is a little plastic divider and one White Wire (this is the one that goes down to your Starter Solenoid) and a Purple one (not relevant to this problem but it goes to your Glow Plug Relay).

If you (wear Gloves incase it gets hot) use a jumper wire from the Left (+) side to the Right (White and Purple wire side) your Starter Solenoid should engage and your Starter should crank your Engine.

In the last paragraph 240D3.OT was telling you how to bypass the Neutral Saftey Switch (make sure your trnsmission is in Park befoe trying to start after you bypass).

Last edited by 300Dman; 09-02-2009 at 10:34 PM.