E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

rear seat removal help...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95' E420
rear seat removal help...

i got a spring about to bust thru the leather in my back seat. can someone tell em how to remove the rear seat from the car? anyone with help or advice on how to fix the broken spring?
Old 01-25-2007, 05:56 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
There are two orange/redist tabs on each end of the rear seat - Push in and lift up and the seat will come out.

As for the broken spring - I'm out of ideas for that one.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Almost a Member!

95' E420
Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
There are two orange/redist tabs on each end of the rear seat - Push in and lift up and the seat will come out.

As for the broken spring - I'm out of ideas for that one.
cool, got it! i just went out there to see what you meant, and i pooped off one side of the seat (the other side has a baby seat on it).

as for the spring, i guess i will figure it out when i get the seat out. perhaps this is a perfect time to use my "seldom" used welder.

plus, this may be a perfect time to do my first "how to" post!!

Thanks bud!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Welding springs doesn't really work, it changes the properties of the metal. I seem to remember trying this at a shop I worked at in HS, we tried it on a w123 seat and it didn't fair too well. Rear seats are super cheap since no one ever buys back seats from parts yards, I'd try pricing one out before going to all of that trouble. Find one that has is in not so good of condition and just swap out your pads and leather so that it matches. Try www.gundies.com, I know they have a ton of w124 rear seats that they never sell.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
The springs are hard drawn wire (ASTM A 517). (I do metallurgical failure analysis for an OEM interior supplier, including spring mat fractures). The springs can break from fatigue, often at bend points. I'm not sure what a good fix would be. As mfb said, welding would only result in localized stress risers in the material for further fatigue and fracture.

Perhaps you could find some tubing to slip-fit over the broken ends as a patch, or place some sheet or plate steel to prevent poke-through.

Edit: I just talked to one of my interior supplier clients. They basically said what mfb said, there is no fix - just replacement.

Last edited by Kestas; 01-26-2007 at 11:38 AM.