E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2007 E320 Bluetec fuel filter and brake flush

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E320 Bluetec
2007 E320 Bluetec fuel filter and brake flush

I am a first time poster who has done a bunch of searching before asking this question...

I bought my wife our first MB last May. At the time it had 8,500 miles on it and it now has 20,000 miles and is exactly 2 years old. A couple weeks ago we had the local MB dealer do a C maintenance and they explained that the brakes need to be flushed and the fuel filter replaced every 2 years. The brake flush was to be roughly $110 and the fuel filter was going to be roughly $350. I chose to explore doing the work myself since it seemed expensive for routine maintenance. I had a 1987 Saab 900 Turbo that I worked on for roughly 20 years until I sold it a couple years back. My gutsiest repair was replacing the turbo. That was a knuckle buster, but successful.

I bought a Motive power bleeder and I'm looking forward to doing the brake flush next weekend. I swung by the MB parts counter today and spoke with a helpful parts manager. He asked one of the mechanics about the fuel filter and came back explaining that it takes the pros 3 hours to do the repair even as the book has it down for 2.6 hours. Apparently, there is a lot that needs to be disconnected and then reconnected beyond just the filter. They suggested it might not be a good repair for a shade tree mechanic to attempt.

I've pulled the engine cover and I can see the fuel filter plain as day. Unfortunately, it looks to be partially blocked by the ducting for the turbocharger and I'm guessing therein lies the problem.

Is anybody familiar with this situation? Did MB really locate a fuel filter that needs to be replaced every 2 years or 20,000 miles where it takes 3 hours to do so? Is this a project I could do myself with the help of the service manual DVDs? Or should I avoid doing so since my CPO extended warranty takes me through 2013? Might this be a good opportunity to go with an independent repair shop?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards,
Trevor

2007 MB E320 Bluetec, 20K
2003 Porsche Boxster, 48K
2000 Chevy Suburban, 80K
Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
I recently replaced brake pads with ceramic ones. I tried to use Motiv power bleeder to bleed brakes with my 07 E320 Bluetec but did not have much joy with it; 15lb and even 20lb pressure failed to push fluid through the bleed valve. I eventually ended up doing it the old way with my son being the assistant. I have not come across anyone on this forum having done the same on a Bluetec. Perhaps someone can advise why its different in the Bluetec. Is it the Brake Assist, lack of SBC or perhaps it needs MB Star diagnostics to electronically open or release valves etc. I would not have bothered to do it myself if my local MB service shop were open on Saturdays; additionally they will not install aftermarket brake pads.

Brake flush and fuel filter were replaced at MB around 20K miles; no way I was doing it myself.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by pinebaron
I recently replaced brake pads with ceramic ones. I tried to use Motiv power bleeder to bleed brakes with my 07 E320 Bluetec but did not have much joy with it; 15lb and even 20lb pressure failed to push fluid through the bleed valve.
I had a 1995 Volvo which it took between 40 & 60 psi to start pushing the fluid through the system.
Mike T.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I did brake fluid flush on older W210 and recommended pressure was 35 psi. I wanted to give it good flush and used 40 psi, since pushing a cup of fluid with 35 psi might take an hour.

Last edited by kajtek1; 01-18-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Buy the Service DVD

Around $85-100 from dealer and other sources. It will give you detailed directions on both jobs and most other DIY stuff. Well worth it.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
I recently replaced brake pads with ceramic ones. I tried to use Motiv power bleeder to bleed brakes with my 07 E320 Bluetec but did not have much joy with it; 15lb and even 20lb pressure failed to push fluid through the bleed valve. I eventually ended up doing it the old way with my son being the assistant. I have not come across anyone on this forum having done the same on a Bluetec. Perhaps someone can advise why its different in the Bluetec. Is it the Brake Assist, lack of SBC or perhaps it needs MB Star diagnostics to electronically open or release valves etc. I would not have bothered to do it myself if my local MB service shop were open on Saturdays; additionally they will not install aftermarket brake pads.

Brake flush and fuel filter were replaced at MB around 20K miles; no way I was doing it myself.
Interesting! I was thinking of buying one to so my SBC brake system next time it is due.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI, SL550, clk550

Interesting. I use the Power Bleeder all the time. I really like it for 4 and 6 pot brakes. I used it last weekend when I put pads in an '08 CLK550. It's a non-SBC system. It worked fine. It's the only bleed system I really trust.

Keep us posted. I can't figure out why it wouldn't work on your car.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
My GL (same engine) is currently in shop for 2nd time in a week addressing fuel leak at fuel filter.

This filter was changed a year ago, but began leaking only in the last month.

1st diagnosis was defective filter, but now dealer is replacing everything in the vicinity.

"Shadetree" mechanics should know that Mercedes uses CLIC clamps on fuel lines and prohibits use of anything else and specifies that they be never reused but replaced with new items when removed.

I'm pretty sure that if I were the one that replaced my own filter, warranty wouldn't be covering the current work.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Interesting! I was thinking of buying one to so my SBC brake system next time it is due.
You will be fine since forum threads indicate it works great with SBC equipped vehicles.

My issues may have something to do with ABS (which I disengaged while replacing pads) or Brake Assist; I'll have to ask the SA or a Bluetec mechanic at MB.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
Interesting. I use the Power Bleeder all the time. I really like it for 4 and 6 pot brakes. I used it last weekend when I put pads in an '08 CLK550. It's a non-SBC system. It worked fine. It's the only bleed system I really trust.

Keep us posted. I can't figure out why it wouldn't work on your car.
I don't know how one could use it incorrecly unless mine was defective or something; its supposed be a simple process nevertheless I may have missed something . Perhaps you can outline exactly what you did when you changed the pads and bled the system. If you disconnected ABS plug during pad replacement, did you crack bleed valve open while pushing caliper piston in, engine on or off during bleeding etc.
I'd love to be able to use the device next time.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
I don't know how one could use it incorrecly unless mine was defective or something; its supposed be a simple process nevertheless I may have missed something . Perhaps you can outline exactly what you did when you changed the pads and bled the system. If you disconnected ABS plug during pad replacement, did you crack bleed valve open while pushing caliper piston in, engine on or off during bleeding etc.
I'd love to be able to use the device next time.
Engine off and nothing in the brake system disconnected. I take the top off the brake reservoir.

I use a pair of channel lock pliers with plastic covers on the the teeth to to push the pads back just enough to pull them out the top.

I push the pots in with caliper tool and drop the new pads in with a light smidge of anti-squeal. I watch the brake reservoir closely to make sure it does not overflow. Repeat 4x.

If I'm not doing a flush and just a bleed I hook the Motiv up to the master cylinder and pressurize to 10 lbs. I don't put fluid in it if it's a bleed. I do the RR to the LF in sequence. If the caliper has two bleeds I start on the outside. Always make sure you don't push air into the system by letting the master get low on fluid.

If I am flushing it's pretty much the same but I'll put a liter of fluid in the Motiv and open each bleed until it's clear.

I've used it more times than I can count. 3 times a day when I'm tracking.

This sounds stupid, but are you sure you've got pressure coming out of the tube on the Motiv? Don't crack a bleed valve unless you have vacuum on the outside or pressure from the other side. You'll get air every time and it can be a ***** to get out.

Last edited by Boulder GT3; 01-19-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
Engine off and nothing in the brake system disconnected. I take the top off the brake reservoir.

I use a pair of channel lock pliers with plastic covers on the the teeth to to push the pads back just enough to pull them out the top.

I push the pots in with caliper tool and drop the new pads in with a light smidge of anti-squeal. I watch the brake reservoir closely to make sure it does not overflow. Repeat 4x.

If I'm not doing a flush and just a bleed I hook the Motiv up to the master cylinder and pressurize to 10 lbs. I don't put fluid in it if it's a bleed. I do the RR to the LF in sequence. If the caliper has two bleeds I start on the outside. Always make sure you don't push air into the system by letting the master get low on fluid.

If I am flushing it's pretty much the same but I'll put a liter of fluid in the Motiv and open each bleed until it's clear.

I've used it more times than I can count. 3 times a day when I'm tracking.

This sounds stupid, but are you sure you've got pressure coming out of the tube on the Motiv? Don't crack a bleed valve unless you have vacuum on the outside or pressure from the other side. You'll get air every time and it can be a ***** to get out.
Yes I have pressure coming out of the Motiv. I confirmed it again prior to this response; plugged the end with my index finger, pumped it to 10lbs and released and I can hear air coming out of the tube. The Motiv seems to be fine.

I did everything almost same as you except initially removing ABS Pump plug. Nothing comes out of the bleed valve; only way was to connect ABS plug, start engine and crack bleed while my son had his foot on the brake pedal. When pedal goes all the way down I closed the bleed valve.

I notice with engine running, pressing brake pedal hard, makes it go in 3/4 of the way. I cannot remember if it was like that prior to replacing pads. Brakes work fine but the pedal gradually goes in 3/4 of the way if constant pressure is applied like when waiting at lights. Can another Bluetec owner here please check their brake pedal, engine running while vehicle is stationary.

Just noticed on another thread mention of 45psi for bleeding SBC equipped vehicles; the Bluetec does not have SBC but it has an ABS pump on front passenger side. I'll have to call the dealer.
Added 01/21: Further investigation revealed the pressure needs to be around 30psi to bleed systems with ABS; apparently it needs that much pressure to overcome abs valve resistance. I'll make another attempt this weekend.

Last edited by pinebaron; 01-21-2010 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 01-27-2010, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
E320 Bluetec Brake Pedal travel update

E320 Bluetec Brake Pedal travel update:
After I changed brake pads on my E320 Bluetec I thought brake pedal travel was weird (not having noticed or cared about prior to replacing pads) and I tried to bleed brakes using a variety of techniques to no avail.

Thankfully another Bluetec owner and forum member Sunny confirmed his Bluetec brake pedal behaves exactly the same way: goes down some and vehicle brakes fine. Keep pressing down hard and the brake pedal will slowly sink to around 75% down position;one would experience this while waiting to move off say from a light.

Thankyou MBWORLD and its members.