Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
F10 VS My W212 (Side By Side Pics!) & Little "Review"

Today I finally was able to get some time with an F10.

First one I saw, a 550i, was sitting pretty in the Showroom. A Charcoal-y color. My heart immediately started to sink (Sh**, did I really make the right choice?). I start expressing my situation, and as soon as I said I have the new E-Class, the Salesman was very much complimentary towards it, just saying how in awe he is of the new E's lines, and styling, and especially front end (especially compared to the upsetting front of the new 5'er). Being someone who's been against the E for so long, and now an Owner, I can fairly state that the E seems to be the popularity contest winner this time around (like the E60 before it.... So that crown doesn't mean much to me).

We went upstairs to see an Alpine White 535i. GORGEOUS. Tears almost streaming down my face now (in potential "remorse"). The White pops very much, it's a more "White White" than M-B's kind of "Off White" Arctic White.

I couldn't get enough of the car, just beautiful. Sticker was nice and high at $69K-ish, it had EVERYTHING.

Took it for a drive, man that thing flies, just so zippy, and power when you want it. More remorse for me, as it's a whole different animal than the E350. As soon as I started it up, I notice it's a performance 6-Cylinder, based off of sound.

The interior is very nice, I don't know if it's nicer than the E's though. Materials are very comparable. The E has a more "Business", open-air, confident approach, while the BMW is very at-your-service, driver oriented, yet still very comfy and coddling. Seats felt outstanding (remember, this is the Loaded Loaded Car).

All in all, that aspect is purely preference.

The car felt very nimble, not as substantial and "heavy cruising" as the E, basically, it's a "BMW VS Mercedes". I love the Benzes substantial, strong feel, yet love how zippy and nimble the Bimmer feels, preference again.

I did the "Self Parking" thing, and WOW, completely insane. The car literally parked itself. Something that would have saved me from curbing my rims.

I couldn't test the handling much, but considering how good the W212's steering feel is, it wasn't an immediate night and day, but it was definitely more willing, and a bit lighter feeling to me. I really wanted to throw it through some curves, but no such luck really.

Big deal breaker is how WIDE the base of the wheel is (the bottom plastic portion, between your thigh area), my knee/leg kept hitting it, very uncomfortable.

All in all, I told the guy "if I was comparing both cars right now, and didn't have either, I might have went with the 535i".

We get back, and I snap pics of both cars. Some people came up and couldn't help but seem more interested in the E. Including the workers. Seeing them both together, I had a tough time finding my "favorite". However, my happiness-o-meter went back up, as I felt the E is the one I wanted to get in, the one I want to call "My Own". All in all, I couldn't help but to be drawn by its styling more-so. Although I think the 5'er is purely gorgeous (minus the front, mainly, which isn't all thaat bad, but doesn't compare to the E's, just like the E's rear isn't really as interesting as the Bimmers IMO, although it is less "bloaty", so that's a toss up to me as well).

I got in my E, and to be honest, I couldn't be happier.

Phew (for now).

BTW, the Salesman restored my faith in BMW Dealerships (I became a big baby after some bad experiences at a Bimmer Dealer). Stand up guy, true Car Enthusiast, and he was nice to let me spend some time comparing the cars, etc.

Pics below:

Last edited by K-A; 06-15-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:34 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

And some of an E60 M5 VS a New F10:

Last edited by K-A; 06-15-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 SL550 & 11 535i
I was at that same dealer about 2 weeks ago and that is the exact car that I drove when I was there. I am also happy with my decision of having bought the E.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by K-A
And some of an E60 M5 VS a New F10:

You have provided us with some interesting side by side visual comparisons. Thank you !

IMO, the E Class front end is much more rakish and streamlined than the bluff and bulbous looking F10 front.

As for the rear ends, I prefer the E Class, although I am not a fan of smoked lenses. Out on the road, I have noticed that the new E Class is very recognizable from a distance, either from the front or the rear; it stands out from any other MB model. In comparison, the new F10 looks so much like the 7 Series and the 3 Series.

Finally, I never thought I would feel positive about the E60 front end, but it does look better when seen against the F10. Maybe that's just me ?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:41 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Weird, same thing I was saying about the E60 front end!

I HATE the E60's front, but next to the F10's beefed up front, I can't help but find it to look.... Actually good!

And my pleasure about the side-by-sides. .

Yeah, everyone was saying that about the E's front. M-B apparently spent lots of R&D $$$$ to keep the E having some rake to the front, in order to still pass EU Safety regs (they had to do things like the clamshell hood, etc. to keep it "Legal" still). BMW didn't seem to try too hard, they gave it that controversial cutline right smack-dab at the tip of the bonnet, and just gave it a flat-bulbous-y face, with two huge nostrils.

Actually, when I saw the White one on its own, I really liked the front, but next to the E's, it doesn't really compare IMO. The E's is more polarizing, as it's more of a statement, but the F10's is like a mix of elegant/sport, yet still bluff/bland, and even porky, next to the leaner Benz.

We still haven't seen the M-Pack though.

Originally Posted by 3benz4me
I was at that same dealer about 2 weeks ago and that is the exact car that I drove when I was there. I am also happy with my decision of having bought the E.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:52 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I like the picture of both doors lines up close. You can see how they detailed the lines, where shadow play comes into.... play, etc. Similar lines, but different at the same time.

Also, notice how much wedgier the E looks, it's one of the most "wedge-shaped" Sedans I've ever seen, a love it or hate it thing. I think from the front profile, it gives it a more crouching, "in motion" (I hate that term car companies throw around too much nowadays) look over the 5'er. Yet from the rear, it gives it a fussier look in a way.

Just to note about the smoked tails, they do have that ugly "flat black" look in these pics, they're actually a light smoke, so usually in normal lighting, they have a more "Cherry red" effect.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:08 AM

E-Class
Nice pics but I was just wondering why did you de-badge your E350?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
That f10 looks like a big 3 series. and that front end is something to be desired.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by K-A
I like the picture of both doors lines up close.
Yes, I agree, but two features of the E Class jump out for me.

The chrome strip along the lower door panels offers some protection for the E Class doors - nothing similar on the F10.

And the chrome strips on the E Class door handles are on the top edge where they can provide protection from ring fingers grasping the handles. Look at the chrome strips on the F10 - they are in the middle on the handles - offering no protection from ring finger scratches.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:19 PM

'07 E92 328i, '10 E70 X5 (Wife's)
Great comparison K-A! I've been following your threads and posts for quite some time and it's great to see the perspective from someone who's also of the younger demographic (<30 years old).

I agree that the W212 looks significantly better than the F10. I was actually disappointed when the F10 was unveiled because I had thought of the F10 as the future replacement for my 3er (when a baby warrants the extra space or when I see fit for a sedan, aka when I reach 30 jk). Either way, the E is now on top of my list for a sedan.

K-A, I know it's still early, but you think you might pick up another W212 post-lease?

Last edited by kl07rph; 06-16-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:28 PM

2010 E350
Nice K-A, F10 looks much better in white compared to black that I test drove. Did it have the dynamic driving/handling package? the one that i test drove felt like Lexus steering since it didn't have that... I still believe E looks sharper than F10 " Avalon/GS-like" behind
Old 06-16-2010, 12:41 PM

2010 E350
Originally Posted by DerekACS

The chrome strip along the lower door panels offers some protection for the E Class doors - nothing similar on the F10.

And the chrome strips on the E Class door handles are on the top edge where they can provide protection from ring fingers grasping the handles. Look at the chrome strips on the F10 - they are in the middle on the handles - offering no protection from ring finger scratches.
I like the Chrome strips on the sides too, they protect side dents...
Old 06-16-2010, 01:38 PM

'07 E92 328i, '10 E70 X5 (Wife's)
Originally Posted by ash_cpe
I like the Chrome strips on the sides too, they protect side dents...
+1, not only does it protect but it adds some character to the design as well. Lately all cars are going for this "clean" design when in reality they're beginning to look generic (e.g., F10, latest Audi A4)
Old 06-16-2010, 07:38 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by cyberjak
Nice pics but I was just wondering why did you de-badge your E350?
Why advertise that I drive the lowest model?

Actually I had it on my W211 (previous Owner did it), I took it to the Dealer to get it rebadged, and the Service guy (and others) convinced me out of it. Especially with the "needs work" W212 rear, I wanted to do everything I can to clean it up, and make it look a bit "unique" to me. All I have left is a Lip, but not sure I want to put more "mod" money into a car I spent a pretty penny on to get pretty decked out already from the factory.

Originally Posted by DerekACS

True, but two things.

1- The chrome strips do provide some protection, however, coming from a W211, which had true "door guards" placed on the more functional area of the door (middle), I find these to barely protect, if at all. Also, the rear bumper strips on the W211 saved me from having to repaint my W211's bumper a couple of times, and the W212 has none on either the rear or front. The W212 went more "Design>Function", and of course, it looks nicer all clean with no strips running along the side, but you are in more trouble if something bad happens.

2- Agree about the chrome handles, M-B's placement has always been perfect! However, I was shocked when I went to look at 212's and noticed P1 cars (vastly the most on the road) DO NOT have any chrome on the handles, looks cheap to me. That was honestly something that annoyed me, such a blatant cost cutting move.

But yeah, I agree.

Originally Posted by kl07rph
Great comparison K-A! I've been following your threads and posts for quite some time and it's great to see the perspective from someone who's also of the younger demographic (<30 years old).

I agree that the W212 looks significantly better than the F10. I was actually disappointed when the F10 was unveiled because I had thought of the F10 as the future replacement for my 3er (when a baby warrants the extra space or when I see fit for a sedan, aka when I reach 30 jk). Either way, the E is now on top of my list for a sedan.

K-A, I know it's still early, but you think you might pick up another W212 post-lease?
Thanks!

Yeah, it is super early. I have a brain that works two ways when it comes to cars: Carefree (beat around in it, who cares), and enthusiastic (take care of it, etc.). I wanted to be more carefree with this car (reason why I Leased it), but find myself to just enjoy "Loving my Car". Right now, I like to pretend that I'll buy it after the Lease, but know that very well isn't my realistic plan. We'll see. Like I said, at least right now, I'm "pretending" I will. ..... In reality, it depends on what's out there at the time (if my car is still the one I want to drive the most), and where I am in life, etc.

Originally Posted by ash_cpe
Nice K-A, F10 looks much better in white compared to black that I test drove. Did it have the dynamic driving/handling package? the one that i test drove felt like Lexus steering since it didn't have that... I still believe E looks sharper than F10 " Avalon/GS-like" behind
Actually it did, it was really Loaded up. Hmm, now I wonder how it would drive without it. I've heard many people say the Electric Steering feels so dead, the W212 actually has a better "road feel", which is a big role reversal.

Last edited by K-A; 06-16-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Wig

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
W213, C238
I know that this has been said before, but what is BMW's obsession with having rear lights on the trunk lid a different size to the rest of the rear lights?

It looks poor. Why have a 'continuation' of rear lights on the trunk if they don't 'match' the other lights? I think this is why, to me at least, that the rear of the E60 looks superior to that of the F10. (And also why the rear of the W212 looks better than the F10.)

K-A - IMO your side by side photos show quite clearly that the W212 is a better looking design than the F10. You made the right choice.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:07 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Old 06-16-2010, 09:46 PM

'09 GL320-wife '11E350-me
KA quit doubting yourself. You made the right choice. I can't wait to upgrade to the W212 in a few years. My C 320 has 85,000 miles and keeps chugging along.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Most time you see your car from inside and actually drive it. So driving aspect is certainly get priority for me over exterior appearance.
So BMW will still be faster considering 30hp more powerful engine, more stable in turns and have nicer electronics. Did I mention luxury aspect?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:02 PM

E-Class
Originally Posted by K-A
Why advertise that I drive the lowest model?

Actually I had it on my W211 (previous Owner did it), I took it to the Dealer to get it rebadged, and the Service guy (and others) convinced me out of it. Especially with the "needs work" W212 rear, I wanted to do everything I can to clean it up, and make it look a bit "unique" to me. All I have left is a Lip, but not sure I want to put more "mod" money into a car I spent a pretty penny on to get pretty decked out already from the factory.
Having lived in Los Angeles a few years back and working in the car industry the only people who tend to de-badge their cars are people with the lower models because they want people to think they have the higher end model or the AMG. You almost never see a 550/500/430 E/CLK/ML or AMG de-badged nor do you see 350 C/SLK de-badged but you almost always see 320/350 E/CLK/ML de-badge and 300 C/SLK.

So everyone knows de-badge cars tends to be the cheaper model. And normally they are some cosmetic difference between 350/550 models, while they might be minor they are still present and anyone who really knows anything about the model will be able to spot those difference.

I always been assumed about how some people are embraced to drive E350 or CLK350. You know I moved from Cali to N.E.(tri-state area) and people out here tend not to de-badge their cars like in Cali where people judge you based on what car you drive.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:07 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by cyberjak
Having lived in Los Angeles a few years back and working in the car industry the only people who tend to de-badge their cars are people with the lower models because they want people to think they have the higher end model or the AMG. You almost never see a 550/500/430 E/CLK/ML or AMG de-badged nor do you see 350 C/SLK de-badged but you almost always see 320/350 E/CLK/ML de-badge and 300 C/SLK.

So everyone knows de-badge cars tends to be the cheaper model. And normally they are some cosmetic difference between 350/550 models, while they might be minor they are still present and anyone who really knows anything about the model will be able to spot those difference.

I always been assumed about how some people are embraced to drive E350 or CLK350. You know I moved from Cali to N.E.(tri-state area) and people out here tend not to de-badge their cars like in Cali where people judge you based on what car you drive.
No argument from me. I'm not ashamed of having an E350, it's not like I can't afford a 550, etc. Every time I look at a de-badged car I don't think it's a "higher" Model either.

However, if I had a 550, I still might have debadged it, unless I wanted to "show off" the fact that I have a 550 (I don't think people care or pay attention).

E350's are very common in SoCal, and now with the AMG Package being whored out, it's hard to have one that sits apart from the crowd. My main motive is to have little nuances that I can appreciate, that sets my car ever so slightly apart.... I.e not spend much money in getting that.

Having my car sitting next to an E with the rear badge (right after I had it done), it made enough of a difference to me.

I draw the line at falsely badging, which I am a big advocate against. Everybody has their line though.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:11 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by nalaskier
KA quit doubting yourself. You made the right choice. I can't wait to upgrade to the W212 in a few years. My C 320 has 85,000 miles and keeps chugging along.
Yeah, I'm happy with it. Especially after seeing them side by side.

The F10 on its own though really rubs me the right way still, though.

We'll see how the M-Pack looks. But yeah, I'm happy with my choice.

You'll enjoy the W212.

BTW, anyone else who's driven the F10, notice how HUGE the base of the steering wheel is? I'm skinny as a rail, and my legs were very uncomfortable, in how they kept hitting that large plastic thing.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yeah, this was a "cheap/easy" fix!

How much are the clears?

I kinda like it though, fits the "Black/White" theme. It is wrapped in vinyl, so actually no light protrudes out of it. I wish we just got the Euro bumpers, without those eye-sore light blocks smack dab there on the bumper.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 PM

2010 E350
I remember it wasn't as comfortable as my E. Steering wheel was so thin in my hands plus it has the regular leatherette seats, these I believe are shorter or don't have the extension as the premium seats. it was the only one at the dealer though...
Old 06-16-2010, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by K-A
How much are the clears?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-...Q5fAccessories
Reputable seller - installed them on my mother's silver E350.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

^^ Sweet, thanks.

Ashe Cpe, interesting. I drove the one with the fully adjustable, Massaging, A/C, lengthening, etc. Seats. Very comfortable. BMW Leatherette Base Seats are known to SUCK!! M-B's Vinyl seats are definitely the best on the Market in that regard.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: F10 VS My W212 (Side By Side Pics!) & Little "Review"