Notices
General Mercedes Discussion Use this forum to discuss general Mercedes-Benz topics that are not specifically model related.

Leaving RENNtech - setting the record straight.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Volkswagen Routan
Leaving RENNtech - setting the record straight.

I'm not sure if "General Mercedes Discussion" is the right forum to post this on, but I feel like it's not really tuning related or model-specific, so here goes.

As many of you probably know, I have been working at RENNtech's Florida HQ since 2006 as a sort of "backup" sales rep and website/pr guy.

Earlier this year, I decided that it would be best for me to move closer to Chicago, where my young son (6) lives with his mother. On February 2nd, I gave my notice to RENNtech's owners that I would be leaving the company by the end of March. Last week, I issued my final letter of resignation and have spent the last several days driving across the country and moving furniture in and out of a white van.

I thought that was the end of it. That I would be left alone and simply allowed to move on and live my life - start a new job in a new town, etc. BUT OH NO!

No fewer than three customers (and one project sponsor) called me on my personal cell, asking what had happened.

"What do you mean, what happened?" I asked.

Each one told me they had been told that I had quit the company suddenly, without any notice, and that anything I had been talking to them about or any questions they may have had for me should be directed to RENNtech management. To a man, they explained that it seemed as if I had left under "shady" circumstances, and they were asked if they had heard of me. The apartment complex I am renting at said that, when they called to verify my employment, "the HR woman" at RENNtech "interrogated" their agent, and that they were not able to accept RENNtech as a reference (!?).

To say the least, I am dumbfounded. I do not know what RENNtech stands to gain from running my name through the mud, but I felt that I should set the record straight on a public forum. I am no longer in the MB tuning business, and am not "competition" for any sponsors on this board. I simply do not understand ...

In the 12 years I have spent in this business, however, I HAVE come to understand that your name and your reputation is gold, and I feel like I am being forced to defend myself here. I hope that any customers or vendors who have any questions for me will direct them to my personal email (if you have it) or simply PM me from this post.

I intend to remain active on these boards as an enthusiast - and, of course - because you never know who you can meet on these things.

Very best regards,

Jo

Last edited by groupB; 03-24-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 03-25-2009, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Man, that's messed up. It does sound like they think you are leaving for the competition. It's unfortunate that the are playing games with you now.

Do you have any recourse? Can you talk to the person(s) who you first gave your notice too? Was it written or verbal? Did the fact that you were leaving come up at all since Feb?

Obviously I don't know how it played out, but hypothetically if you verbally communicated that to the owner(s), they may of assumed you were also communicating that to your manager. So when you turned in your resignation letter, maybe your manager was caught off-guard?

Either way, sorry to hear you have to go through this while you are trying to move and get settled with your new life...
Old 03-25-2009, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
If they have a "real" HR department they are doing the incorrect thing. They should from a legal perspective just respond with your employment dates and position without any comment positive or negative. they are leaving themselves wide open for a suit. Sounds to me like their HR person is a very junior exec with no experience.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
Originally Posted by sosh
If they have a "real" HR department they are doing the incorrect thing. They should from a legal perspective just respond with your employment dates and position without any comment positive or negative. they are leaving themselves wide open for a suit. Sounds to me like their HR person is a very junior exec with no experience.
yeah +1 they have no idea how to run an hr dep. if that is what they said more or less!

sorry to hear this
Old 03-25-2009, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody, Porsche Cayenne, International Scout
Originally Posted by sosh
They are BEGGING to be sued over something like this...
Old 03-26-2009, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
LET
Old 03-26-2009, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
WTH?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:50 PM

2009 Volkswagen Routan
Thanks for the support, guys. I'm not out to sue anyone or cause trouble - I'm just worried about my rep. In this industry, everyone knows everyone, you know?