GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Mercedes Bremen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 220 cdi - irridiumsilver
Mercedes Bremen

Hi there from Belgium. Last week I went to the factory of the GLK in Bremen. We have had a great reception! The first day we made all the apointments for the day after. Meanwhile we could buy some souvenirs in the shop, regard the people who came pick up their car and had a great meal also. The second day we visisted the factory (2 hours) from the beginning of production till final test and assembly. Afterwards we had a ride on a special off-road circuit. Splendid! After the ride with the instructor he changed seat and I could drive myself, wow what an experience.
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes Bremen-image_426649dc42bc32aeda6c10dee160caa7-1024x768-.jpg   Mercedes Bremen-img_0033-800x600-.jpg  
Old 08-27-2009, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350
Congrats, how was the drive on the hill... Must have been fun, welcome to the family....
Old 08-28-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Baby G
Congrats, how was the drive on the hill... Must have been fun, welcome to the family....
The drive on the hill was fantastic! Upward 70%, but downhill 80%, it nearly looks like vertical; and you must drive this part without touching the brake (car had off-road option). The most spectacular was riding sidewards on a hill of 30°; as a passenger the instructor told me to open the window and I could touch the ground. There was also a part of concrete with conveyor rolls built in so that 3 wheels were on the rolls and all the power of the engine had to go to the fourth wheel to move the car forwards.
On the site of Mercedes Benz-de there is a little movie about the off-road circuit, called "The Rock".
Old 08-29-2009, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
Originally Posted by fragil
The drive on the hill was fantastic! Upward 70%, but downhill 80%, it nearly looks like vertical; and you must drive this part without touching the brake (car had off-road option). The most spectacular was riding sidewards on a hill of 30°; as a passenger the instructor told me to open the window and I could touch the ground. There was also a part of concrete with conveyor rolls built in so that 3 wheels were on the rolls and all the power of the engine had to go to the fourth wheel to move the car forwards.
On the site of Mercedes Benz-de there is a little movie about the off-road circuit, called "The Rock".
Hi all, what i undrestand is that the normal torque distribution is 45 front: 55 rear, and there is sth like a tranfer case that can distribute 50 nm tourque between front and rear depending on the situation. Does it mean the torque distribution can go from 45:55 to 60:40 or 30:70? and also does it mean each rear wheel can get only 35% of all the engine power and only 30% of engine power to each front wheel? Thank you.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:43 AM

I think the normal torque distribution is 50/50. The transfer case puts all the engine power to the wheel that has grip. On the rolls with 3 wheels you can see very good that the wheels on the rolls move a fraction of a second and then the brakes stops those wheels immediately. Although I am not sure if this is only possible with the extra off road package because they have extra DSR = downhill speed regulation and 4ETS = electronic traction system.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
normal is 55 rear 45 front. This distribution doesn't change unlike audi or acura continuously but can got to 30/70 or 70/30. However, when brake is applied to the spinning wheel on one side in a sense torque goes to the wheels on the other side, that's how traction control works.

They have three articles here:
http://www.benzinsider.com/2008/12/w...edes-benz-glk/

Downhill speed regulation just applies brakes short of locking the wheels (similar to ABS), but let the GLK roll down.