GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Dashboard Trim - Is it leather or ... ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz GLK-350
Dashboard Trim - Is it leather or ... ?

I was planning on applying this protection on the interior trim of my GLK but before doing so, i realized that the dash (area above the aluminium/wood trim) seems to be of some sort of leather or leather like material. Does anyone have an idea of what material this really is?! It seems like I'll probably have to use a leather cleaning and conditioning liquid instead of the regular dash boar polish and protection.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:10 AM

2010 GLK 350/2009 Lincoln MKX
detailedimage.com has a great selection of products not sold over the counter. Assuming of course you were looking for a certain product. I would advise using a leather cleaner and conditioner but that's just my 2 cents.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:49 AM

2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
Originally Posted by G*L*K
I was planning on applying this protection on the interior trim of my GLK but before doing so, i realized that the dash (area above the aluminium/wood trim) seems to be of some sort of leather or leather like material. Does anyone have an idea of what material this really is?! It seems like I'll probably have to use a leather cleaning and conditioning liquid instead of the regular dash boar polish and protection.

Seems to me that a car that comes standard with synthetic leather seats would not throw in a leather dash. Have to believe that it is simulated leather......which means vinyl. Nice dash.
(I will have to say tho, that MB has taken "vinyl", or simulated leather to a whole new high. I defy anyone to tell the difference between MB-Tex and leather. I know I can't and I have bought nothing but leather for the last 30 years. Certainly the seats are VERY similar to the leather seats in my Cadillac.)
Old 12-04-2009, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Originally Posted by G*L*K

It's not leather... and it's not MBTex either, it's a hybrid of PVC and vinyl. But any good quality leather cleaner and treatment will work just fine... in fact I prefer them for vinyl/plastics over vinyl specific treatments because they give the dash a nice semi-gloss matte look rather than that ugly super glossy Armor-All look.

Try these guys for good quality leather care products: http://www.griotsgarage.com/category...Picks&page=all

Last edited by MBRedux; 12-04-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:34 AM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Yeah... the dash is some kind of rubber. I just use Maguire's detailing wipes and then just dry off with a clean towel. It does the trick for the entire dash including the glossy wood trim.

Originally Posted by RedRover
Seems to me that a car that comes standard with synthetic leather seats would not throw in a leather dash. Have to believe that it is simulated leather......which means vinyl. Nice dash.
(I will have to say tho, that MB has taken "vinyl", or simulated leather to a whole new high. I defy anyone to tell the difference between MB-Tex and leather. I know I can't and I have bought nothing but leather for the last 30 years. Certainly the seats are VERY similar to the leather seats in my Cadillac.)
Red, I fully agree re the dash and the comment re improvements with the fake leather... but come on, seriously! You can't tell the difference between the MB-tex and real leather?.. Saying that you don't see the value in the real leather or arguing that the MB-Tex is more durable and lasts longer and is easier to maintain is one thing... but defying anyone to tell the difference between the two... you can't be serious...

Why do I feel like i've had this discussion before??
Old 12-04-2009, 12:09 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Leather

MB Tex / Artico

Not to mention the difference in feel and smell...

May or may not be worth $2,600, but don't kid yourself... there is a difference.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:59 PM

Perhaps you can tell us which these seats are leather? Theyare all MB seats.
Attached Thumbnails Dashboard Trim - Is it leather or ... ?-eclass.jpg   Dashboard Trim - Is it leather or ... ?-glk.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2009, 04:14 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
Perhaps you can tell us which these seats are leather? Theyare all MB seats.
1- MB tex
2- Leather (i think but then pic is so damn small)
3- Leather

I don't see your point...
Old 12-04-2009, 04:31 PM

The point is the first pix is the standard seat in the E class.
The seating surface is leather and the rest is MBtex.
The rest of the world cannot see a difference between the middle of the seat or the side of the seat.

(I have no idea about the other two.)
Old 12-04-2009, 04:41 PM

GLK350 4Matic - Loaded
The point is the first pix is the standard seat in the E class.
The seating surface is leather and the rest is MBtex.
The rest of the world cannot see a difference between the middle of the seat or the side of the seat.

(I have no idea about the other two.)
Sneaky!

Well... in the GLK, the stitching and design of the two options are very different... so regardless of MB-Tex's likeness to leather, there is still a dead giveaway to the fact it isn't... that's all I was getting at.

That's how I know the last pic is leather.

The second pic is from a G I think... and no MB-Tex in those babies!