M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:40 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE, 2019 BMW X5, 2016 SL550, 1972 Corvette
Trailer Hitch

I am buying my wife a new ML350 and am having trouble finding one with exactly what we want. Does anyone know what is involved installing a trailer hitch on an ML that did not come with one from the factory? I get different stories at different dealers. Some claim it is no big deal while others claim it is a $2000 job.
Thanks.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320CDI 2008 all options inc air suspension
Originally Posted by dan1495
I am buying my wife a new ML350 and am having trouble finding one with exactly what we want. Does anyone know what is involved installing a trailer hitch on an ML that did not come with one from the factory? I get different stories at different dealers. Some claim it is no big deal while others claim it is a $2000 job.
Thanks.
If you search this out on here you will find a million folks who have no end of grief with aftermarkets wiring etc.Since you havent made the purchase yet, and if you really need the hitch, have them find you one with the MB hitch and you know things like the auto tow mode , auto leveling , anti sway etc etc will all work the way they should.And yes, its expensive to do after market...hitch not so bad...wiring and sam module is a killer. 600 buck dealer option is the only way to go, imo.But that cost can run closer to the 2000 you mention if you have a dealer install the MB package at the dealership, thats why I suggest you have them locate one and bring it in for you.Also if you do alot of towing, consider the diesel, all the torque is perfect for towing.I have the diesel myself and tow all the time over 7000lbs and most of the time dont even know its back there.If all else fails, have them order one for you, I ordered mine and it was worth the wait to get it the way I wanted.

Last edited by Vernl; 12-05-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 Bluetec
There are aftermarket hitches out there for about $200 + install.....

The issue with the aftermarket hitch is that it tows only 4000 lbs not the 7000 lbs the factory hitch does. The other and bigger issue with the aftermarket hitch is that there is no wiring harness available....

I wouldn't suggest allowing anybody,especially the technician at the local U-Haul store to "tap" into expensive Mercedes electricals...

The only way to get the wiring harness is to buy the genuine Mercedes hitch kit.....this kit includes the hitch, harness, and hardware but costs $850!!!!...No, you cannot buy the harness without the hitch...you have to buy the entire kit...

It is considered a 5-hour job and the dealer charges $100 to $150 per hour to install....(depends upon where you are).....

The good news is that if you have a few hours, some basic tools, and are the least bit handy; you can install it yourself....

More good news is that the newest ML's already have the SAM unit, so there is no need to purchase one of these $600 rascals...

I don't want to contradict the prior poster but it is my understanding the factory hitch option is simply just the hitch and harness already installed for about $500....there is no anti-sway or anything else....Think about it....an anti-sway system, auto-leveling, auto-tow, and the hitch for $500???? on a Mercedes??....No, it is simply as described on the stick.....a "hitch option"...

I purchased a new 2009 ML 2 months ago. I really wanted the hitch but incentives were high and inventory was low....It worked out better for me to add the hitch later....because I got such a good deal on the ML. I was able to get the parts guy at the dealership to wholesale me the kit for $725 instead of $850.....I refused to pay $675 labor (5 hrs X $135/hr) to install..I did the install myself...The installation took a few hours but was fairly intuitive and simple....

Conclusion, if you found the right ML at the right price don't let the fact that it doesn't have a hitch stop you...It shouldn't be a deal killer...
Old 12-05-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320CDI 2008 all options inc air suspension
[QUOTE=realralfy;3838686]There are aftermarket hitches out there for about $200 + install.....

I don't want to contradict the prior poster but it is my understanding the factory hitch option is simply just the hitch and harness already installed for about $500....there is no anti-sway or anything else....Think about it....an anti-sway system, auto-leveling, auto-tow, and the hitch for $500???? on a Mercedes??....No, it is simply as described on the stick.....a "hitch option"...

If you had done a bit of homework before you posted you would know that the auto tow mode( which controls the transmission) anti sway ( which uses the stability program) etc etc are all done electronically and requires the proper wiring and are activated by plugging in the trailer lights.Also if you have the air suspension it does the auto leveling as well.I hope all those features work as they should on your ML

Last edited by Vernl; 12-05-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLE, 2019 BMW X5, 2016 SL550, 1972 Corvette
Thank you very much for the informative replies. I went ahead and bought one today that was exactly what my wife wanted (which is a good thing) but it did not have a hitch. While I was haggling with them I ran into my service advisor who told me that he had put one on an ML recently and it was about a $2,200 job. He mentioned that it required some sort of different module in the rear that was compatible with trailer lights and that it was expensive.
The intersting thing about all of this is that the window sticker lists, under Safety/Security "Electronic Stabilty Program with Trailer Stability Assist" Maybe it is different for 2010.

At any rate, my towing needs are few and far between so I will probably never get around to actually finding out.

Thanks again for the information.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:31 AM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
[quote=Vernl;3838981]
Originally Posted by realralfy
There are aftermarket hitches out there for about $200 + install.....

If you had done a bit of homework before you posted you would know that the auto tow mode( which controls the transmission) anti sway ( which uses the stability program) etc etc are all done electronically and requires the proper wiring and are activated by plugging in the trailer lights.Also if you have the air suspension it does the auto leveling as well.I hope all those features work as they should on your ML
My point exactly....the hitch option virtually nothing to do with the anti-sway etc.....

The option is simply a hitch and wiring pre-installed.....nothing more for $500...
Old 06-04-2010, 01:19 PM

2011 E350 Bluetec
Installation Instructions ML320 Bluetec Trailer Hitch.

Please help me find the installation instructions for the Mercedes Hitch so I can buy the $ 850.00 one with the harness included. If you know of a link or instructions please help.

Thanks
Lynn
Old 06-04-2010, 03:09 PM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
hope this helps

There are no instructions for installing the hitch, none that I was ever able to find.....

However, getting the bumper cover off is the most difficult part because it is hard to find all the bolts....The dealer was able to provide me with a printout of how to take the bumper cover off....Get this before you start....

After getting the bumper cover off the hitch install is pretty straight forward (speaking only of the hardware)..Remove the factory bumper as the hitch frame will now serve as your rear bumper. You will see two "holes" in the rear of the car. The "arms" from the hitch kit go in there....They screw in place with and mount in pre-drilled holes....These holes are accessed by removing the rear floor of the vehicle. After mounting the hitch, run the wiring through the passenger's side hole at the corner of the car....the harness comes with the grommet...Put the styrofoam cover on the hitch and reinstall the bumper cover. I had to modify the bumper cover and steel trim piece to accomodate the hitch.

After this was installed the wiring harness didn't fit the rear SAM....I had to get a new one from the dealer and they had to program it....

It is a pretty complicated undertaking to do this job....If the dealer is willing to do it for $600 + the hitch kit and rear SAM it is worth it....
Old 06-04-2010, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
my understanding the factory hitch option is simply just the hitch and harness already installed for about $500....there is no anti-sway or anything else....Think about it....an anti-sway system, auto-leveling, auto-tow, and the hitch for $500???? on a Mercedes??....No, it is simply as described on the stick.....a "hitch option"...
Sorry, but it's a complete system.

Anti sway is accomplished via separate application of the vehicle's (not the trailer's) brakes via the ESP system.

From MBUSA website ...

Electronic Stability Program

This advance continually monitors your vehicle's motion to help keep you going in your intended direction. If it detects wheelspin, severe understeer (plowing) or oversteer (fishtailing), ESP can brake individual wheels and reduce torque to help bring the vehicle under control. Mercedes-Benz pioneered this landmark technology in 1995 and has continued to refine its exacting performance ever since.

Trailer Stability Assist

A trailer in tow can adversely affect the driving dynamics of a vehicle. That´s why the M-Class is equipped with Trailer Stability Assist. Electronic Stability Program sensors monitor for oscillations caused by the trailer´s movement. The system then intervenes by using the brakes to help stabilize the vehicle. Once ESP is satisfied that the vehicle and trailer are under control, braking intervention is ceased.
Anybody that sells you a separate "antisway" system has sold you something you don't need. And of course it will be iron age technology compared to what Mercedes can do.

This, BTW, is there and will work the same way with either a factory or an aftermarket tow hitch, but the notion of having some high school kid cut into a Mercedes electrical system to "hook up" an aftermarket system is pretty frightening.

Original poster should try REALLY hard to find an ML with factory-installed hitch or else be prepared to (indeed) pay the dealer $2K to retrofit one. This can always be "included in the deal," of course.

Last edited by lkchris; 06-04-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
There are no instructions for installing the hitch, none that I was ever able to find.....

However, getting the bumper cover off is the most difficult part because it is hard to find all the bolts....The dealer was able to provide me with a printout of how to take the bumper cover off....Get this before you start....

After getting the bumper cover off the hitch install is pretty straight forward (speaking only of the hardware)..Remove the factory bumper as the hitch frame will now serve as your rear bumper. You will see two "holes" in the rear of the car. The "arms" from the hitch kit go in there....They screw in place with and mount in pre-drilled holes....These holes are accessed by removing the rear floor of the vehicle. After mounting the hitch, run the wiring through the passenger's side hole at the corner of the car....the harness comes with the grommet...Put the styrofoam cover on the hitch and reinstall the bumper cover. I had to modify the bumper cover and steel trim piece to accomodate the hitch.

After this was installed the wiring harness didn't fit the rear SAM....I had to get a new one from the dealer and they had to program it....

It is a pretty complicated undertaking to do this job....If the dealer is willing to do it for $600 + the hitch kit and rear SAM it is worth it....
i kinda had the same approach (buy the deal then add the hitch) - figured i would move my hitch from my ml350 to the 07 ml63 i had my eye on. didn't do my homework and kinda screwed myself in the process. i bought the ml63 and removed the hitch from my ml350 before trading in- but not the wiring harness. found a SAM and harness package on ebay and it appears that it will work. today the install was in process until the bumper frame came off then we realised that there were some vital missing parts. it looks like there are 2 reinforcement pieces that have to be inserted and bolted into the holes behind where the bumper attaches to the body. due to my ignorance, i had not removed these from my old truck before i did the trade in.

realralfy, or anyone else- can you confirm that the oem hitch package has not only the hitch and harness but also two reinforcement pieces - "arms" referred to above?

looks like i'll have to bite the bullet and buy the 850 hitch package just to get these pieces. really PO'ed of at myself as i should have pulled these out my trade in ml350.

not worried about the physical aspect of install, my mechanic is very skilled. the dealer will reprogram for anti sway etc after he's done.

thx for your input.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:55 AM

2009 ML320 Bluetec
I can confirm.....

AWDman,The kit that I purchased did have the bars that slid into the ML's frame...

Good luck....
Old 03-13-2011, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you very much realralfy.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

realralfy can you tell me if these are the pieces? i may have gotten real lucky in finding these at a scap yard.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Hitch-hitch-supports.jpg  
Old 04-26-2011, 01:07 PM

ML430
2009 ML350 Hitch installation -----

I have the OEM hitch and harness however, not the OEM installation manual. Any suggestions for access to a copy? Thanks!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by camair
I have the OEM hitch and harness however, not the OEM installation manual. Any suggestions for access to a copy? Thanks!!!
http://www.startekinfo.com
Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 PM
KA8

2003 CL55 AMG
Can someone help me out. I just bought used tow hitch with brackets off of 08 ml350 which is an exact match for my ML. Problem is I'm having hard time finding hitch harness. Does anybody have part number for this?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
See post #3
Old 07-14-2011, 11:25 AM

2007 ML350
I want to add a hitch to my 2007 ML350. The dealer will install a Class III hitch rated for 5000 lbs and 500 lb tongue wt. The travel trailer I hope to buy is 5000 lbs and 750 lb tongue wt. It seems to me I need a Class IV hitch. Or do I need to look for a lighter trailer. Help please.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:24 AM

1999 ML 320
ML hitch wiring harness

I ran across an extra wiring harness for the trailer hitch for the ML. if anyone out there needs one part number A163 540 USA 4 please let me know. this is the one that plugs into the rear drivers side harness and goes to the multi plug for the trailer.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:57 PM

e
execuhitch

might want to check out execuhitch
Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 PM

2008 ML 320 cdi ,2014GLK250
uhaul

I had Uhaul put 5000 lb hitch on 08 ml320 cdi and hauled some heavy trailers to Fl. with no problems. Very reasonable and included harness. They(Uhaul) also installed the hitch on my 1999 E 320 Wagon when dealer said it could not be done(Iowa). Go Figure!!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:21 PM

e
Execuhitch

Execuhitch site has been updated to include MB
Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by BaroloRed
I want to add a hitch to my 2007 ML350. The dealer will install a Class III hitch rated for 5000 lbs and 500 lb tongue wt. The travel trailer I hope to buy is 5000 lbs and 750 lb tongue wt. It seems to me I need a Class IV hitch. Or do I need to look for a lighter trailer. Help please.
A different hitch doesn't make the vehicle have more capacity.

You need a lighter trailer or a different vehicle. GL figures are 7500 and 600, still not enough for your trailer.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by eagle65
I had Uhaul put 5000 lb hitch on 08 ml320 cdi and hauled some heavy trailers to Fl. with no problems. Very reasonable and included harness. They(Uhaul) also installed the hitch on my 1999 E 320 Wagon when dealer said it could not be done(Iowa). Go Figure!!
What's to "figure" is that Mercedes has never engineered a USA system compatible hitch for any USA versions save for the SUVs. No question trailering is possible in Europe with E-class cars (all of them, in fact save for SLs), but the accepted system is NOT receiver style.

UHaul has "engineered" how to mount a reciever hitch, but that's about it. I shudder to think of their methods of connecting to a Mercedes electrical system, and you can bet they don't offer Mercedes-specific harnesses.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:10 PM

2009 ML320 cdi
realralfy or anyone. I also bought a used 2009 ML320 cdi without a hitch. Great deal until I called the dealer yesterday to ask about a hitch. $4000 by the time it is on the truck with taxes in. This is in Ontario. Required hitch, harness, SAM card, new bumper cover and the piece under.

Did the $850 kit include the wiring harness? Realralfy what modification did you have to do to the bumper cover and the piece under to make them fit after you installed the hitch? Any chance you could send a photo? Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch