S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Opinions on Kenwood DNX7100 for my 220??

Old 12-03-2008, 04:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 S63, lowered
Opinions on Kenwood DNX7100 for my 220??

I think I finally found a reputable/competent shop to install a new nav/stereo in my 220. I’m looking for a more user friendly nav system and something that will integrate with my Ipod. I’ve got about 900 songs on my Ipod, so the easier to navigate through it via the head unit the better. Do any of you have any suggestions? DVD playback & Satellite radio aren’t important to me- and I’m not sure I really care about blue-tooth either. I’m considering the Kenwood DNX7100 or 7120, as a couple of shops here have had nothing but good things to say about them.

I’m not an “electronic savvy” guy, so any input would be appreciated. Opinions?

-Busa196-
Old 12-03-2008, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
I think that's a perfect unit for what you're looking for.

The only thing I would be VERY careful with is the fit and finish of the installed unit. It's a tough spot and you got to make sure it looks as close to the OEM COMAND as possible.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:43 PM

2018 S63, lowered
Originally Posted by Oxygen
I think that's a perfect unit for what you're looking for.

The only thing I would be VERY careful with is the fit and finish of the installed unit. It's a tough spot and you got to make sure it looks as close to the OEM COMAND as possible.

Yep, fully agree. How does this look? It'll be identical.......

Old 12-03-2008, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatever there's gas in...
That looks great!!

Something I'd definitely want to do in the near future! Please let me know how you like it after you do it!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"OO" s430
It looks beautiful, but does it work with the controls on the wheel? my boy installed it on his g35 and the china men installers hooked it up where the stock wheel controls work perfect... Are we out of luck or theres hope for full controls
Old 12-03-2008, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by bklynjoker
It looks beautiful, but does it work with the controls on the wheel? my boy installed it on his g35 and the china men installers hooked it up where the stock wheel controls work perfect... Are we out of luck or theres hope for full controls
I *think* I've seen CAN bus adapters for Mercedes cars out there that would work with this deck... just not sure where. This will retain your steering wheel controls as the messages are sent via the CAN bus.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:07 AM

S500
Where in BK?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by Busa196
Yep, fully agree. How does this look? It'll be identical.......

It seems to me that this is a lot of wsted money just to get 900 songs from your IPOD. Why ot just install the GW500 its a lot less expensive and gives you what you need and more.

This system looks fine, but the trim piece doesn't match at all. That would drive me crazy..

BTW.. did you know that you can have 999 songs on your Stock DVD player from 2004 thru 2006 S class? That's what I have been doing forever..
Old 12-04-2008, 08:51 AM

2018 S63, lowered
Originally Posted by my06clk
It seems to me that this is a lot of wsted money just to get 900 songs from your IPOD. Why ot just install the GW500 its a lot less expensive and gives you what you need and more...
Wasted money? I'm getting a user friendly Nav system (I'm using a Garmin at present due to the crappy factory one), the ability to integrate my Ipod with the system, satellite radio capabilities, blue tooth capabilities, etc....all of which my car has NONE of. Satellite radio alone will cost me $1350 from my dealer- then I'm still stuck with the ghetto nav system. Spending $900 + labor to get those options for someone who spends 16hrs a week in their car hardly seems like wasted money. 16 lappers at the Men's Club.....now that's "wasted money"

This system looks fine, but the trim piece doesn't match at all. That would drive me crazy.. ..
It matches perfectly- look at the piece by the shifter. Your looking at the trim in the direct sunlight. I wouldn't even consider it if it didn't match exactly. I've been assured it will be a "perfect match"

BTW.. did you know that you can have 999 songs on your Stock DVD player from 2004 thru 2006 S class? That's what I have been doing forever..
Heard something about that a while back, but again I refer to my message above regarding other capabilties.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:59 AM

2018 S63, lowered
The installer told me that I will lose the wheel controls- but, that he could erase all the display functions from the computer that wouldn't be functional anymore so that when you scrolled through your menu you wouldn't see 'Audio OFF', 'Nav OFF', etc..... He said that if it were a C-class he could integrate all the wheel functions with the Kenwood, but not on the S-class.....there's not a "module" made for the S-class yet that allows for that.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Looks great brother...I have the DNX8120 and it is great piece of kit. The Garmin is so easy to use...forget about the MB NAV...it is the most counter-intuitive piece of crap. I would get the Kenwood unit alone just for the Garmin nav but the other capabilities you mentioned make it a great addition to my car...

Old 12-04-2008, 10:31 AM

2018 S63, lowered
Originally Posted by AMGfan
Looks great brother...I have the DNX8120 and it is great piece of kit. The Garmin is so easy to use...forget about the MB NAV...it is the most counter-intuitive piece of crap. I would get the Kenwood unit alone just for the Garmin nav but the other capabilities you mentioned make it a great addition to my car...
Looks good AMGfan- I couldn't agree more on the Nav. Thanks for the feedback/pic
Old 12-04-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4matic
i went with the 5120 and love it. the garmin nav is simply awesome, so easy to use and extremely accurate. there is a reason so many poeple rave about these units and having the best navigation on the market is probably one of those reasons.

i had them put the ipod cable in the glove box, no wires or mess and can control it right from the head unit in the dash. i am getting bluetooth put in today, should be very nice and legal here in CA without looking like one of those douchebags with a unit on my ear.

i think i should have gotten the 7120 or 8120 but i got a great deal on mine and so far really love it. make sure you get it bypassed too, that way you can watch dvds and change the nav in motion.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by sleewell
i went with the 5120 and love it. the garmin nav is simply awesome, so easy to use and extremely accurate. there is a reason so many poeple rave about these units and having the best navigation on the market is probably one of those reasons.

i had them put the ipod cable in the glove box, no wires or mess and can control it right from the head unit in the dash. i am getting bluetooth put in today, should be very nice and legal here in CA without looking like one of those douchebags with a unit on my ear.

i think i should have gotten the 7120 or 8120 but i got a great deal on mine and so far really love it. make sure you get it bypassed too, that way you can watch dvds and change the nav in motion.
Sleewell...if you have another car spend the extra $$$ for the 8120. The preamp outputs are at 5volts, it has a 24bit d/a converter, there is Sound Management System (S.M.S.) with controls for vehicle size, speaker sizes, digital time alignment, and high- and low-pass filters, and a 13-band EQ with six preset tone curves...which means sound quality is primo.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:19 PM

2000 S430
The installer told me that I will lose the wheel controls- but, that he could erase all the display functions from the computer that wouldn't be functional anymore so that when you scrolled through your menu you wouldn't see 'Audio OFF', 'Nav OFF', etc..... He said that if it were a C-class he could integrate all the wheel functions with the Kenwood, but not on the S-class.....there's not a "module" made for the S-class yet that allows for that.
Someone on the forum did it already and kept the steering wheel controls. From what I understand you need 2 controllers , One for the Kenwood and One for the Bus system.

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...el%20Interface

Give them a call I'm pretty sure thats who make the unit.

ps - S-Clusive , car . wheels , kit look great as does the new sig
Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 PM

'00 S-500, E-430S, '88 Mustang
http://blog.sounddomain.com/gadget/2...ideo-kenw.html
wow thats a great radio---and yes u can make those controls work on a S class
Old 12-04-2008, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Wasted money? I'm getting a user friendly Nav system (I'm using a Garmin at present due to the crappy factory one), the ability to integrate my Ipod with the system, satellite radio capabilities, blue tooth capabilities, etc....all of which my car has NONE of. Satellite radio alone will cost me $1350 from my dealer- then I'm still stuck with the ghetto nav system. Spending $900 + labor to get those options for someone who spends 16hrs a week in their car hardly seems like wasted money. 16 lappers at the Men's Club.....now that's "wasted money"

It matches perfectly- look at the piece by the shifter. Your looking at the trim in the direct sunlight. I wouldn't even consider it if it didn't match exactly. I've been assured it will be a "perfect match"

Heard something about that a while back, but again I refer to my message above regarding other capabilties.
Well your original post stated that you just wanted to have access to your 900 songs and wasn't really interested in Sat. That's why I suggested the GW500 because its around $500.00.

But whatever you like.The NAv in my S is far from "ghetto" IMO. Its a lot smarter than any of the Nav system in my previous benzs. OF course nne of them excpet maybe the Acura or the Audi MMi system can even come some of the A/M boxes, but that's specifically what they were designed to do. The Comand (in its defense) kinda has a lot on its plate so to speak.

As you can tell I am partial these days to Keeping the factory system because I got tired of having to put it back together when I got rid of the car.
I still have in my Garage a bag full of amps, and custom harnesses and stuff I have been dragging around..LOL just kinda tired of that.

But anyway, good luck with your system.. it seems that there are a lot of happy users out there.

On a side note: WHy did your installer say that he can do a C-class but not an S? They both use Can-bus for the controls. It seems that if one can work so can the other in some way..

Last edited by my06clk; 12-04-2008 at 07:47 PM.