Handy Resets

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Handy Resets

I had posted this on this forum in the past, but it seems to be Missing In Action. For your convenience, with some new additions--

First, the ECU reset procedure is included in my owner's manual in the battery change instructions - along with some additional info on things that may need to be reset (it helps to read those manuals!!) However, not everything is addressed there, so here goes.

Windows, seats, mirrors, steering wheel position (easy entry/exit) and the like can be reset by running them fully in one direction, holding the switch at full travel for approximately 2 seconds (or longer), then running to the opposite limit, holding for about 2 seconds (or longer). It is not unusual to have to do this after the battery is disconnected. The positioning of many of these features is controlled by a Hall's Effect generator, a simple device that counts revolutions of a motor shaft, and it must be set to register the proper number of turns to reach both limits of travel.

Synchronizing Head Restraints:

If the power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or empty), the head restraints are no longer adjusted automatically. To resynchronize the adjustment feature, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move the seat completely forward and the head restraint fully down, and hold respective buttons for approximately two seconds.

Synchronizing power windows:

If the power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or low), the windows cannot be opened or closed by the Express feature. To resynchronize the express feature, press side of power window switch to resistance point until the window is completely closed and hold for additional 2 seconds. Repeat procedure for each window. The automatic full opening and closing procedure of the windows should now be restored. (Note: This sometimes works as well for problems with manual operation of the windows, but not always).

Synchronizing sliding/pop-up roof:

If the power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or low), or if the sliding/pop-up roof is blocked during closing/opening procedure, the system has to be synchronized. To do so, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move and hold switch in direction (3), until the sliding/pop-up roof is completely raised at rear, and hold for additional 1 second. If the pop-up roof simply will not open or close all the way after using this procedure, clean the tracks and lubricate them with the MB lubricant made for the purpose.

Global Synchronization of auto open/unlock (windows open/close when car is unlocked/locked):

Global synchronization synchs all of your windows and sunroof so that they all open or close by a single command (pointing the key at the IR receiver in the driver's door handle, and pushing & holding lock or unlock). Place the A/C switch on the A/C control panel in Auto, and the recirc button on. Then press the button between the temp controls and hold it until all of the windows and roof close. This should resynch them. After that, the Smart Key should open or close the windows and sunroof as well as lock or unlock the doors.

Also: Door locks are controlled from the key by radio frequency, and will operate regardless of direction the key is pointed. The auto window/sunroof features are infrared, however, and operate only if the key is pointed at the small square IR receiver in the driver's door handle. The IR range is usually less than the RF range, and can be affected by bright sunlight directly on the door handle.

Synchronizing ESP (ECU):

If the power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or empty), the BAS/ESP malfunction indicator lamp may be illuminated with the engine running. Turn steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right. The BAS/ESP malfunction indicator lamp should go out. For more on resetting the entire ECU, see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208...procedure.html.

Synchronizing remote control:

The remote control may have to be resynchronized, if the vehicle cannot be locked or unlocked. To synchronize insert electronic key in steering lock. The remote control should once again be operational."

Synchronizing Steering Column Height/Easy Exit:

Steering wheel height - basically the same procedure, but with a caution. Move your steering column down SLIGHTLY, and if you can then bring it back up to where it started (but not higher), then you need to reset the column with the simple procedure below. HOWEVER, if it goes down slightly, but will not go back up at all, do not try the reset - it probably will go fully down and not come back up! You may not be able to get into the car to drive, if that happens. Get it serviced.

Run the steering column full down, and holding the switch down for about 10 seconds after it reaches the lowest position; then run it back up fully and hold the switch up for about 10 seconds after the column reaches its upper limit of travel. You may need to do this several times. That should reset the limits in the Halls' Effect generator, and your column should function normally.

Seats (easy exit) - try running them to the limits also; however, the seats slide back in the easy exit mode only if they are pretty far forward in the first place. if they are back beyond certain limits (set by Mercedes), not sliding further back is normal operation.

Not all cars have easy exit feature, and those that do must have the option selected in the MFD (instrument cluster) menu.

Resetting Automatic Windshield Wiper Function (with a tip of the hat to mvmiler):

First, pull and reseat your windshield wiper relays (locations are on the fuse diagram usually found in the tool compartment in your spare tire well).

With engine running and all passenger doors closed, starting at 0 turn on wipers to #3 position, then put the switch in the 0 position then put it in the auto #1 (rain sensor position) then have someone splash water on the windshield as the doors have to be closed to reset this function. Then they should function normally.

Last edited by Skylaw; 08-23-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL500
This was very helpful thanks
Old 08-24-2009, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
Thanks!

I just purchased my car two weeks ago and this info is invaluable...
Old 01-12-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E350
A funny thing happened on my way to the forum (ECU reset)

[QUOTE=Skylaw;3682080]I had posted this on this forum in the past, but it seems to be Missing In Action. For your convenience, with some new additions--

First, the ECU reset procedure is included in my owner's manual in the battery change instructions - along with some additional info on things that may need to be reset (it helps to read those manuals!!) However, not everything is addressed there, so here goes.

I attempted to reset the ECU per Skylaw's threads. I first tried disconnecting the neg battery cable, waited an hour, then reconnected. Everything that was previously set (including radio stations, seat memory, etc was still there)
I then removed both the positive and negative battery cables, waited another hour, same result.
Then I thought perhaps there's a back up power supply somewhere? It doesn't appear there is any on the 03 s430.
So what am I missing?
It appears I'm doing something wrong.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
I did the window wiper sensor calibration/reset recently and was able to test it today while driving in the rain and it works great!. Also, I had a problem in DAS (STAR) that the wiper was not returning to the park position although you could not tell by looking at it. I removed the wiper motor, un-clipped the black cover on the motor to expose the electrical brass spring wiper contact, cleaned the contact and slightly bend it to a new position on the circuit board so that the rotational contact had a new path on fresh circuit board track, and ....it works with no fault condition.

Regarding your question on what you are doing wrong with the ECU procedure, there is no backup supply. Also you do not have to disconnect power from the battery to do these syncs. All those reset/sync procedures listed above are for when you have already disconnected the battery, or if you are new to the car do them anyway.
Remember that just because you have disconnected the battery, all the functions such as windows and seats etc will still work, its that they dont really know where the stop points are until the syncs are done. For example you may notice that when you try and open or close your sunroof, it only goes 1 inch and stops each time you try it.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:37 PM

2010 E350
Regarding your question on what you are doing wrong with the ECU procedure, there is no backup supply. Also you do not have to disconnect power from the battery to do these syncs. All those reset/sync procedures listed above are for when you have already disconnected the battery, or if you are new to the car do them anyway.
Remember that just because you have disconnected the battery, all the functions such as windows and seats etc will still work, its that they dont really know where the stop points are until the syncs are done. For example you may notice that when you try and open or close your sunroof, it only goes 1 inch and stops each time you try it.[/QUOTE]

Yes I should have been more clear. I'm actually trying to reset the ECU. I was of the impression that you did this by disconnecting the battery.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:40 PM

2017 S63
I think the instructions labeled "Synchronizing ESP (ECU):..." are misleading. the ESP is different from the ECU.

ECU adaption reset will make your car faster if it's been driven slow for a while.

1. Get in the car and close the doors. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

5. Drive the car and you will most likely notice it's a bit more peppy
Old 01-17-2014, 11:44 PM

2010 E350
Originally Posted by jnash
I think the instructions labeled "Synchronizing ESP (ECU):..." are misleading. the ESP is different from the ECU.

ECU adaption reset will make your car faster if it's been driven slow for a while.

1. Get in the car and close the doors. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

5. Drive the car and you will most likely notice it's a bit more peppy
Thank you. I'll give this a try this weekend. Just to be clear, when you say on, is your meaning position 1 or 2? I assume 2 but we all know what happens when we assume. Also, can someone tell me where the ECU is located specifically? I have the repair manual but it's counter intuitive to me and I'm having difficulty searching it for the right document that would show the location. If all else fails, is it possible to clear it by disconnecting it?

Last edited by swwags; 01-17-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:53 PM

2010 E350
Thank you JNash

I was able to reset the ECU following your direction JNash. A further search to this forum reveals you've covered this many times over. Thanks for your obviously patient replies to my question.
I'm only a few blocks from a highway so I was able to reset the ECU following your instructions and then hit the highway. The car feels more responsive now.

I was also able to locate the ECU but didn't find the need to disconnect. Again, thank you.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:55 PM

2017 S63
Glad it worked out for you.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG IWC
Reset procedures

Thanks Jnash for the helpful tips. I had a battery failure and after changing it, I was getting an ESP inactive error. I did all the resets and drove it around the block and code was gone.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:43 AM

2011 E350 4matic
VERY USEFUL!