Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Best MP3 deck ever in a Benz + pics!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 01:26 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic Wagon
Best MP3 deck ever in a Benz + pics!!

Yes, my 2002 W210 E320 wagon has the best MP3 deck ever, and I finally took pictures of the install. The deck is the empeg (aka: RioCar); an in-dash, 110 gig, two hard drive, pull-out Linux computer with GAPLESS playback, 128x32 4 gray shade VFD display, 20 band parametric EQ, loads of real time visuals, nested playlists, ID3 tag database searching, ethernet and USB for song upload (and browsing its internal web page, streaming music on a network, remote controlling, etc), RCA outs for home use, custom start up animations, and LOADS of add on hardware and software such as GPS, games, lyrics scrollers, Palm playlist uploading, colored buttons and lenses, etc, etc, etc.

This was my first install, taking 4+ months of occasional work, requiring me to buy and learn how to use soldering tools and a heat shrink gun, and do TONS of research and testing. The end result: two headunits (empeg and Alpine), switched via audio sensing source switcher, feeding line-out into the stock Bose amp and speakers. The best part, it can be reverted to the stock setup in minutes showing no marks of the install.

First, the green beauty:

The wiring harness, carefully researched, tested, soldered, and heat shrunk, with extra grounding wires and true headlight sense and ignition sense wires for tapping into the cigarette lighter:

The dash "spectacle storage" bin with the pocket removed and Alpine cage fitting perfectly with tab holes dremmeled:

The whole mess smashed in the dash, with headlight sense tapped into cigarette lighter purple/red wire, and ignition sense tapped into cigarette lighter yellow/black wire:

What thieving punks see when the car is parked:

Sacrificed face plate from an Audio 30 and spectacle storage flap hide the goods:

empeg / RioCar slides into its sled, Alpine faceplate snaps in:

The custom boot animation I created to show when the empeg powers on:

As shown in this video

The install, along side a Kuda custom leather cell phone pedestal with ProClip custom Treo and bluetooth headset mount:

The empeg at night with amber buttons and a light yellow/orange gel filter to match the dash lights and dials:

The whole dash. I think the colors match quite well:

You have to experience the empeg to "get it" and realize how it puts iPods and every other MP3 deck sorely to shame. Did I mention it was created in 1998; so far ahead of its time, and still unmatched. Let me know what you think, thanks.