S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'09 S63 AMG
Window Tinting

For those of you who live in the sun belt (or those who simply like the tinted look), what do you recommend for window tinting?

Being used to tinted windows on my other cars, it sure felt pretty different sitting in my S550 when I took it out for a spin yesterday. It felt like the sun was a few thousand miles closer

I put FormulaOne Ceramic tint on my wife's Lexus GX470 (through Sunbusters tint in Austin). Has anyone used FormulaOne Ceramic (or other material) on the S Class? I don't want the electronics to be interfered with and from what I understand, Cermamic works the best. The local BMW dealership uses Sunbuster'sTint as their preferred shop too.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
HuperOptik is supposed to be the best in the market though there are some new films such as the Madico Advanced Ceramic and others that are starting to compete...being that you're in Texas aka gets verrry hot...I would go with one of the better quality films, which are better at keeping the car cool inside

http://www.huperoptik.com/AutoProduc...t=NaviAuto.inc
Old 04-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
^+1 Heard a lot of good things about HuperOptik. I believe the S-Class has infrared-reflecting glass, so I'm not sure if adding tint will screw around with any electronics.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^ you bring up a good point, I believe its the metalized films that cause the electronic (radio/satelite) signal problems...the ceramic should not affect this as far as I know and based on my own experience...not sure though if the infared rear windshield would have a different effect when tinted
Old 04-08-2008, 12:50 PM

'09 S63 AMG
HuperOptik - ahhh yes! Another GERMAN engineering marvel!

Little did I know that when I fell for this guy's dog & pony show about how great Huperoptik was for the windows in my house, it was one of the better decisions I made going purely on blind faith

Last edited by AustinGuy; 04-08-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by AustinGuy
HuperOptik - ahhh yes! Another GERMAN engineering marvel!

Little did I know that when I fell for this guy's dog & pony show about how great Huperoptik was for the windows in my house, it was one of the better decisions I made going purely on blind faith
Thank you for the info AustinGuy, I was looking for something like that for my house (and maybe for my car). I will certainly give it a try
Old 04-09-2008, 12:11 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by markopolo
Thank you for the info AustinGuy, I was looking for something like that for my house (and maybe for my car). I will certainly give it a try
HuperOptik rocks. As I said, at the time we got it installed about 3 years ago on our house windows, little was known about it (at least from my perspective). Going into yr. 4, the stuff looks great and works even better - can't really tell which windows are tinted and which ones aren't.

I just didn't know that they made a great product for automobiles too. Or maybe the guys at SunBusters Tint were good at pushing the FormulaOne stuff...
Old 04-13-2008, 06:09 PM

'09 S63 AMG
A guy who installs for MB told me that putting metalic tint on the windows works just fine and that using ceramic (in addition to what's already used on the car) is not a good idea

Goes against what I thought was the exact opposite
Old 04-14-2008, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonderklasse
Huper Optik Ceramics all the way! I have used them on most of my cars and they are great, the SECH and DREI films are even better but some Huper films are too thick to be used in the front side without taking panels off on the W221. My tinting guy managed to squeeze Huper Ceramic 40 in the front on mine. I observed a little deterioration on my cellphone signal in areas of low reception but otherwise no problem. Electronic devices such as remote fobs however don't transmit and you'll have to point them through the area behind the rearview mirror (but this happens even without the tints anyway).

Have tried Formula One ceramic tints and they are a good value for money in terms of ceramic tints but I don't like the almost purple-ish tint from the inside. Huper all the way for me.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:26 AM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by blazinginder
^ you bring up a good point, I believe its the metalized films that cause the electronic (radio/satelite) signal problems...
Strange...... As I said in an earlier post, I talked to the guy who does tinting exclusively for MB-Georgetown and he told me that he uses Llumar metallic tint on S-Class windows and Llumar ceramic on the rear windshield... Yes, that goes against common wisdom but when I asked him about interference he flat out told me that there is no issue!
the ceramic should not affect this as far as I know and based on my own experience...not sure though if the infared rear windshield would have a different effect when tinted
That's what I thought too, but now I'm a little confused! Not sure whether I should go with the MB guy and use Llumar or with the guys who did my other vehicles and swear by FurmulaOne (which the MB guy told me is made by Llumar ), or...... go a different route altogether with HuperOptik

Old 04-21-2008, 05:02 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Does any one have any updates or input on what brand and type of tint to use especially on the rear windshield?

It seems like each person I talk to has a very different opinion on what product to use (cermaic, metal, dyed, etc.) and tries pushing a product that they have a stake in.......

At this point I'm thinking - go with a FormulaOne (Pinnacle Ceramic) on the 4 windows and leave the rear alone since I can use the sun shade ....
Old 04-21-2008, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's weird, I could have sworn metalized tint was bad for navigation/electronics etc. in all cars, hence the reason why ceramic are the "newer" tint innovation (if you can call it that)...honestly I don't know how reputable/knowledgable these guys are who you're talking to

...what i can tell you is contact Tom at The Art of Tint (in NYC) who does tinting on many exotic cars from Lamborghinis to Maybachs for the stars, he's incredibly knowledable with everything tint related...here's his contact info on his site http://www.theartoftint.com/contactus.html
Old 04-21-2008, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Formula1 gets complaints from some. Huper is much better but over priced imo. Whatever you do, get ceramic. 40 percent looks nice.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:57 PM

'09 S63 AMG
That's weird, I could have sworn metalized tint was bad for navigation/electronics etc. in all cars, hence the reason why ceramic are the "newer" tint innovation (if you can call it that)...honestly I don't know how reputable/knowledgable these guys are who you're talking to
That's what I thought too. Both guys who install for the 2 MB dealerships in Austin said the same thing - metalized on the windows, dyed/ceramic on the rear windshield .....
...what i can tell you is contact Tom at The Art of Tint (in NYC) who does tinting on many exotic cars from Lamborghinis to Maybachs for the stars, he's incredibly knowledable with everything tint related...here's his contact info on his site http://www.theartoftint.com/contactus.html
Thanks, I'll give him a holler.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:59 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by transferred
Formula1 gets complaints from some. Huper is much better but over priced imo. Whatever you do, get ceramic. 40 percent looks nice.
Actually, I've not heard/read anything bad about F1. As a matter of fact, even the guys who don't deal in it tell me that it's top notch.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:28 PM
QDC

S550
I've heard of a few problems tinting the S550 with the AMG sport package. The results sometimes leave a bluish hue to the glass, as opposed to the black look most of us desire. Anybody heard of this or how to avoid it?
Old 04-30-2008, 04:47 PM

'09 S63 AMG
Update:

Okay - I finally just went with F1 - Pinnacle Series 50 (lightest colored tint) - got it installed last Sat. and it looks GREAT! .

As a matter of fact, it enhances the metallic look of the original tint on the car and darkens it just enough - no "bluish" hue at all . Also, I did NOT tint the rear windshield - thought it too risky - and.... with the rear sunshade, probably unnecessary.

As you'll can see from this thread, I was really apprehensive about tinting the windows but at the same time knew that I had to do it given the extreme heat here in TX., but in the end I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by AustinGuy; 04-30-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Its too late but I've been taking all of my Benzs to the Tint shop on Renili off the access road behind Target at Capital Plaza.

They have done for me 2 E-classes, CLK 350, C230, and my current
S430, and I have never had an issue with the tints or reception of anything.

I would have recommended you there as they have a lot of experience with these cars. and really stand behind their work.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by AustinGuy
Update:

Okay - I finally just went with F1 - Pinnacle Series 50 (lightest colored tint) - got it installed last Sat. and it looks GREAT! .

As a matter of fact, it enhances the metallic look of the original tint on the car and darkens it just enough - no "bluish" hue at all . Also, I did NOT tint the rear windshield - thought it too risky - and.... with the rear sunshade, probably unnecessary.

As you'll can see from this thread, I was really apprehensive about tinting the windows but at the same time knew that I had to do it given the extreme heat here in TX., but in the end I couldn't be happier.
Any pics of the F1 on your car ?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:33 PM
QDC

S550
Is it possible for you to post some pictures? I just had Llumar put on my new S550 but it makes the Blue even darker (looks like mirrored windows)!! I told them I wouldnt take delivery until it is stripped off and redone.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:10 AM

'09 S63 AMG
markopolo & QDC I'll try to post some pics over the weekend