W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Here Have Experience With E55 AND CTS-V??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a toy
Anyone Here Have Experience With E55 AND CTS-V??

I'm just curious to hear any firsthand experience comparing the two cars.
With the price and ease and availability of mods, it's hard not to look at the CTS-V. I agree it doesn't look as nice as the E55 (especially from the back), but it DOES have a T56 6-speed to add to the fun as well.

Sooo...any ideas?
Old 12-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S65 AMG, 2002 Viper RT/10, 1986 BMW 325es
I'm trading in my 2004 CTS-V this Saturday for an 06 S65. I really enjoyed the CTS-V these last two years. A Very powerful and fun car to drive. Really a driver's car, excellent acceleration and handling. Nowhere near the refinement of a Merc like the E55 though. The interiors aren't comparable, the Cadillac has a pretty spartan interior, not nearly as much leather/wood. Having said that though, they're A LOT more affordable, and a lot of fun. Problem areas to watch for--weak rear differentials, major axle hop (improved in newer models I hear), low resale. Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:28 AM

2008 Z06
I've had both. I traded my CTS-V for the E55. The CTS-V handles much better in my opinion. But the power you just can't compare. Interior- E55 hands down. Exterior- Iffy, I loved the CTS-V's aggresiveness. The E55 is very classy and refined but the CTS-V got more looks. Having the 6-speed was fun, really fun, but I've had a manual since my first car, so the automatic is nice.

Now for the downsides. Wheel hop is NO FUN, and is insanely annoying. Resale, well you just better buy a used one... Build quality is...well...GM...Mine went into the shop 13 times for buillsh*t minor stuff and one recall. Now my AMG has been in the shop about 4 times...but mainly for two things...one to see what it was...one to install the part...Anway...if you have anymore questions just PM and I'll be happy to answer them...
Old 12-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
I had an encounter with one on the freeway. The CTS-V's power was not even in the same game as the E55's. He was coming from behind at WOT when I saw him in the rear view mirror. I floored the gas and he never even caught up to my back bumper. My car walked away with ease. If power is important, go with the E55.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Nij

2005 Black/Black E55
[QUOTE=MHaynes772] Exterior- Iffy, I loved the CTS-V's aggresiveness. The E55 is very classy and refined but the CTS-V got more looks.

Are you kidding me?? I completely disagree
Old 12-28-2005, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
Originally Posted by Nij
Originally Posted by MHaynes772
Exterior- Iffy, I loved the CTS-V's aggresiveness. The E55 is very classy and refined but the CTS-V got more looks.
Are you kidding me?? I completely disagree
He owned both and got to appreciate both ... and has every right to his opinion as you do your, w/o deserving to have his or your head smashed for it... MHaynes772, thanx for your educated opinion having owned both ... I was seriously considering a CTS-V a few years ago.

I guess tho, this is mbworld.org, so I'm now supposed to be including... pointed at you Nij...

geez! some people's kids...!

Last edited by c55m8o; 12-28-2005 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Nij

2005 Black/Black E55
Originally Posted by c55m8o
He owned both and got to appreciate both ... and has every right to his opinion as you do your, w/o deserving to have his or your head smashed for it... MHaynes772, thanx for your educated opinion having owned both ... I was seriously considering a CTS-V a few years ago.

I guess tho, this is mbworld.org, so I'm now supposed to be including... pointed at you Nij...

geez! some people's kids...!
Hahaha, calm down buddy I was just disagreeing with him. I didn't call him any names or tell him his opinion was invalid. Therefore, it was simply an honest statement
Old 12-28-2005, 01:50 PM

a toy
The resale value doesn't mean much to me, since I'll be buying the car and never selling it. In fact, I just purchased an old-school Buick my dad had when I was a kid, just for the memories in the car. My dad thinks I'm nuts

I'll be buying new for sure too, since I've never been interested in sloppy seconds.

The power is VERY important to me since I literally drive the wheels off of everything I drive. However, I'm not new to GM cars and am completely comfortable modding them. The CTS-V is very easy and cheap to mod as well.

The only information I'm really looking for is the overall driving experience of the car. The ride, the handling, the overall "livability" of the car. The only part of the interior that ribs me is the high center stack that seems to protrude over the top of the dash.

The AMG's are wonderful cars but I'm trying to avoid the sensible family sedans. The Caddy's only edge is the smaller size and 6 speed which is kind of what I'm looking for.

MHaynes, I'll be sending you a PM with more questions now.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by MHaynes772
I've had both. I traded my CTS-V for the E55. The CTS-V handles much better in my opinion. But the power you just can't compare. Interior- E55 hands down. Exterior- Iffy, I loved the CTS-V's aggresiveness. The E55 is very classy and refined but the CTS-V got more looks. Having the 6-speed was fun, really fun, but I've had a manual since my first car, so the automatic is nice.

Now for the downsides. Wheel hop is NO FUN, and is insanely annoying. Resale, well you just better buy a used one... Build quality is...well...GM...Mine went into the shop 13 times for buillsh*t minor stuff and one recall. Now my AMG has been in the shop about 4 times...but mainly for two things...one to see what it was...one to install the part...Anway...if you have anymore questions just PM and I'll be happy to answer them...

Well said , I just traded my 04 cts-v for a 03 e55
Old 12-28-2005, 03:40 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by Roupin
I'm just curious to hear any firsthand experience comparing the two cars.
With the price and ease and availability of mods, it's hard not to look at the CTS-V. I agree it doesn't look as nice as the E55 (especially from the back), but it DOES have a T56 6-speed to add to the fun as well.

Sooo...any ideas?
I can tell you first hand I got rid of my 2005 cts-v and picked up my 06 e55. The cts-v was a great car in corners and was on par with my fiance's e46 m3. The power was good not crazy, your not going to catch a porsche or vette but you can out run modded wrx and evo's. I had my car a week and added the stainless steel true dual exhaust with off road x pipe, bmr anti hop kit, eibach springs, ported throttle body, air intake and was about a week away from adding the supercharger, headers and short throw shifter. The shifts are very far apart and if your under a set rpm the car has the "cags" set up which will make you go from first to fourth it really is a pain but can be taken out for about 35.00. The sc will add 130rwhp and about 90lbft at the wheels. The idle on the cts v is rough due to the cams so at idle you will feel the car jump around and move but that is what the ls6 does. Fun car but I did get tired of it as a daily driver so I left it parked 5 days a week. I picked up the car new for 45600.00 and traded it in with 5k miles and got 39k so not too bad. Unless you go 3 piece wheels it is very hard to find wheels for that 6 lug set and the big brembos. pm me if you have any questions. Hope this helps.

Last edited by BiTurboAmg; 12-28-2005 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:54 PM

a toy
Sounds like the sport sedan novelty is wearing off rather quickly for everyone.

The new CTS-V's have the LS2 engine, which idles a bit better than the LS6 and has a bit more power through the rev range.

I really like the look of the E55, but can't help but wonder how dated it will look when the new updated E63 debuts.