S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

S550 Bluetooth Guide

Old 02-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550, 575M, X5
S550 Bluetooth Guide

There are a lot of questions regarding the Bluetooth functionality in the S550, so I have put together a small guide below based on my experiences. I own a company that sells over 50 Bluetooth items (http://store.treocentral.com), so I have some experience in the field.

The COMAND System

The COMAND system offers some limited built-in Bluetooth functionality – you can push vCards (address book entries) to COMAND, and more importantly connect a Bluetooth headset directly to COMAND.

By connecting a Bluetooth headset to COMAND, you can use a BT headset inside the car while still controlling the phone (managing dialing, receiving calls etc) through COMAND, as long as your phone is docked in the phone specific MHI Interface cradle.

So the signal chain goes BT Headset - > COMAND -> Phone in Cradle.

This works even if your phone does not have built-in Bluetooth support. Using a headset is great if you have other passengers in the car, and want to keep the conversation semi-private.

You can also use a Bluetooth headset through COMAND if your phone is paired to COMAND using the Bluetooth Interface Module (more on it below). Since most phones can only manage one Bluetooth Headset connection at a time, using the BT headset through COMAND is the only way to use a BT headset and still manage the calls using COMAND. Without this functionality you would have to choose between using a BT Headset or using the phone through COMAND.

Bluetooth Interface Module

Wireless4MB.com sells a Bluetooth Interface Module for $350.00, which is required to use the COMAND system in hands-free mode with your Bluetooth cell phone. They have a list of pre-qualified phones, but most Bluetooth compatible phones should work fine, at least for the basic functionality.

I have tested both a Treo 650 and a Treo 700w (not on their list), and they both supported all receiving (including caller-id) and dialing commands/options. The only thing that didn’t work was transferring the phonebook,. I had to manually enter it using COMAND when using the 700w (thanks for disabling OBEX Verizon), but on the Treo 650, once the phone was paired to the COMAND System, I was able to send any address record I picked over to the Command Address book.

That’s it for now. Please let me know if I can answer any questions.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:25 AM

I called customer servive at mbwireless yesterday and talked to one of the reps about ordering the blue tooth cradle, she told me that it would not work with my black razor because the software was too new, but she would happily sell me a old software version silver razor for $350.00. I dont understand...I just bought an 07 S550 which is self proclaimed to be one of the best cars in the world with a very high tech comand/phone system integrated into the car but my 5 month old cell phone has software that this flagship Mercedes is not ready for? I couldnt believe when she told me this. There are allot of other cars on the market that are less than half the price of this car that the blue tooth just works in, without buying a $350.00 dollar adapter or being told your phone is to new? Any ideas?
Old 02-25-2006, 08:34 AM
Almost a Member!

S550, 575M, X5
I would buy the cradle and give it a try. Most likely the basic functionality will work (answer, dialing), but the Address Book transfers may not.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:46 AM

Thanks, for the advice. I am going to order it Monday and give it a shot, I got the address book to transfer just using the phone itself so I will give the cradle a try. Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:55 PM

Verizon Moto Razor & Bluetooth Adapter

I just linked the Verizon Moto Razor w/ the MB Bluetooth from www.wireless4mb.com, and all functionality works in the S550.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Yesterday I got the blootooth interface and isntalled it in my car. The problem I'm having is that it recognized that there is another bluetooth device (my Treo 650), but it says device off even though I have it turned on.
I turned my phone on and off few times but it did not help.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:29 AM

98 Ford Explorer Limited, 2007 S550 LE
I have a Nextel Blackberry 7520. Has anyone interfaced this phone with there vehicle?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:06 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Originally Posted by Pristine
Yesterday I got the blootooth interface and isntalled it in my car. The problem I'm having is that it recognized that there is another bluetooth device (my Treo 650), but it says device off even though I have it turned on.
I turned my phone on and off few times but it did not help.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks.
At the risk of pointing out the obvious, is the bluetooth signal turned on on your phone?
Old 03-02-2006, 04:16 PM

2014 E350 4Matic
Yes, it is turned on.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:20 PM

I connected to mine Nextel I870, but the sound quality isnt that good for the calling party. Anyone have the same issues? I have no problem hearing other party, but they said have lots noise. Maybe I should change a phone or simply this bluetooth connector suck or mic in the car.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:15 AM

2014 E350 4Matic
madolfsson - I recall you had no issues with your Treo 650. Can you give some advise as to what I may not be doing to get mine hooked up?

Thanks.

EDIT: Just an update... I'm only able to receive incoming calls through my car, but can't dial out from it.

Last edited by Pristine; 03-03-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Almost a Member!

S550, 575M, X5
Make sure you upgrade the Treo to the latest firmware:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...reo650updater/

I tested with a Sprint Treo 650 running 1.12.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:39 PM

W221-S550
Treo and BT interface

Madolfsson
You really have to help us Treo 650 owners here. I have a Treo 650 (GSM) with the software upgrade (1.13-ROW). The phone pairs up with the BT interface, but this is all it can do:

1. dial out from Treo (using Treo650 keypad) and talk on car speakers
2. receive calls to Treo on car speakers

This is what I expect it to do but cannot:

1. use the COMAND keypad/center armrest keypad to dial out
2. transfer address and contacts from Treo to COMAND
3. Activate Treo from COMAND "telephone" option
4. No caller ID display
5. No call waiting function
Old 05-26-2006, 05:23 AM

2010 E350, 2007 S550 - SOLD, 2007 ML350
help guys.. i thought you need somethign else in order to get the
Bluetooth Interface Module? The sales rep told me I Needed to wait for the voice module to come in first before I can install the bluetooth interface module? Please educate me on how to setup Bluetooth Interface Module. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 C63S Cabriolet, 2021 GLE53 Coupe, 2022 GT3 Touring, 2021 Taycan Turbo S, 2022 F-150 Lightning
The Blue tooth module plugs into a piece in the armrest that is a part of the Voice control module. I sat there for a minute trying to figure out where to plug the thing in!!!
Jan
Old 06-09-2006, 05:18 PM

Angry

I'm pretty upset. I just called the customer service line at wireless4mb.com, and I thought I was talking to a robot.
I asked if the sprint bluetooth phones would work, and I was told "We have not tested the sprint phones and they are not approved."
So I asked if that meant it would not work, and again got , "we have not tested the sprint phones and they are not approved."
To me that just sounds like they don't have a financial interest in Sprint phones being used with the MB product and thus will not admit it works.
I have a Sprint account with 15 lines, I am not going to go with another carrier just bc MB doesn't test and approve Sprint phones. . .
Has anyone used a Sprint Bluetooth phone other than the treo with success?

Last edited by itsthething; 06-09-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:51 PM

2014 E350 4Matic, 2012 Kia Soul+
There are hundreds of bluetooth phones out there and even the same model is tweaked by each Carrier. Bluetooth is a set of standards. The object is to allow manufacturers to release equipment without having to test every combination. Essentially, it is a contract where two parties agree to handle say the "handsfree v1.1 protocol". If both party's do their job, the two devices will work.

What wireless4mb and all the cars with Bluetooth have found out is some cell phones screwed it up. Or they implemented a slightly older version of the protocol. The older Treo's often need patches to work.

In the case of MB, it is doubly tricky because the MB implementation uses more than one bluetooth protocol. So the phone has to have implemented both protocols of the same or better version.

wireless4mb is doing what they should do. They can't test every phone, so they just test a few of the most popular phones. Chances are very good that most non approved phones will work, or will at least work in handsfree mode. But wireless4mb isn't going to be able to tell you.

If it were me I would search this formum for the carrier phone combo you have. Maybe someone has tried it. Or, if your dealer has a bluetooth demo, ask if you can pair your phone and try it out.

I'm having Steve (www.mbenznl.com) install the adapter in my 06 E next month. He can't tell me how well my Razr V3 from Cingular (Blue) will work, but others on the forum have had good results.

I suspect it will get better as customers demand carriers provide full featured and properly implemented bluetooth on their cell phones. Not just simple integration with bluetooth headsets.

Last edited by edspider; 06-09-2006 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:20 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Originally Posted by itsthething
Has anyone used a Sprint Bluetooth phone other than the treo with success?
I know it's not a Sprint, but I was told my Samsung i730 (Verizon) wasn't tested, but I believe I was also told it wouldn't work. I took my chances, and it worked.

Funny thing... I ordered the bluetooth module and had it delivered. AFTER I received it, I was e-mailed that there would be no refunds since I wasn't using it with a phone that was approved. I replied back, saying that I wasn't informed of this ahead of time and would expect not to be held to this, but thankfully the module worked.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:51 AM

2014 E350 4Matic
I have the blue tooth interface module installed and using Treo 650 with it from Verizon. When a call comes in, it is displayed on the comand screen but I'm not able to use the car's buttons to pick up. I have to use Treo's button to accept it. Also, 90% of the time the other person cannot hear me on the car phone so I end up using Treo itself. Any one knows why this is happening and what can I do to fix it?

I have verified that I have the latest firmware on my Treo.

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:06 PM

for Madolfsson or anyone else
Read your info but still have a question.
I have treo 650 original unlocked version updated software 1.20-ENA firmware 01.71 now with Cingular. I am trying to use it with the new bluetooth module for the s550 MB. I am having a problem pairing it up with the module. The phone shows it has located the module; but the module is not accepting the connection from the phone.
Any advice or thoughts.

Last edited by brlsl; 01-23-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Razr and Slivr cradle on the way

It is my understanding there will soon be Razr and Slivr cradles available for MB vehicles with the phone system. Perhaps this is a better solution for the MB phone.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:54 PM

'07 S550w/AMG AndGryw/prem.grey leath4matic Night Vision Distronic ,08 ML 350, YUKON XL,'71 ChevPU
Originally Posted by silberrosa
It is my understanding there will soon be Razr and Slivr cradles available for MB vehicles with the phone system. Perhaps this is a better solution for the MB phone.
This is great news! Do you have any idea when it is to be released? Is there a way to run this down for more concrete information? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by madolfsson
There are a lot of questions regarding the Bluetooth functionality in the S550, so I have put together a small guide below based on my experiences. I own a company that sells over 50 Bluetooth items (http://store.treocentral.com), so I have some experience in the field.

The COMAND System

The COMAND system offers some limited built-in Bluetooth functionality – you can push vCards (address book entries) to COMAND, and more importantly connect a Bluetooth headset directly to COMAND.

By connecting a Bluetooth headset to COMAND, you can use a BT headset inside the car while still controlling the phone (managing dialing, receiving calls etc) through COMAND, as long as your phone is docked in the phone specific MHI Interface cradle.

So the signal chain goes BT Headset - > COMAND -> Phone in Cradle.

This works even if your phone does not have built-in Bluetooth support. Using a headset is great if you have other passengers in the car, and want to keep the conversation semi-private.

You can also use a Bluetooth headset through COMAND if your phone is paired to COMAND using the Bluetooth Interface Module (more on it below). Since most phones can only manage one Bluetooth Headset connection at a time, using the BT headset through COMAND is the only way to use a BT headset and still manage the calls using COMAND. Without this functionality you would have to choose between using a BT Headset or using the phone through COMAND.

Bluetooth Interface Module

Wireless4MB.com sells a Bluetooth Interface Module for $350.00, which is required to use the COMAND system in hands-free mode with your Bluetooth cell phone. They have a list of pre-qualified phones, but most Bluetooth compatible phones should work fine, at least for the basic functionality.

I have tested both a Treo 650 and a Treo 700w (not on their list), and they both supported all receiving (including caller-id) and dialing commands/options. The only thing that didn’t work was transferring the phonebook,. I had to manually enter it using COMAND when using the 700w (thanks for disabling OBEX Verizon), but on the Treo 650, once the phone was paired to the COMAND System, I was able to send any address record I picked over to the Command Address book.

That’s it for now. Please let me know if I can answer any questions.
for Madolfsson or anyone else
Read your info but still have a question.
I have treo 650 original unlocked version updated software 1.20-ENA firmware 01.71 now with Cingular. I am trying to use it with the new bluetooth module for the s550 MB. I am having a problem pairing it up with the module. The phone shows it has located the module; but the module is not accepting the connection from the phone.
Any advice or thoughts.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:19 AM

2007 S550
Are you buying a cradle because the signal in decreased in the s550. I understand the infrared glass is causing the signal loss. I have a 2007 s550 and had to buy the cradle because of that problem. It works great with the silver razr v3 when plugged in but not so well with just the Bluetooth.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:03 PM

2007 S550 2000 S430 and 2003 SL500 (for sale)
Option Needed

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a HMI module from wireless4mb. I had a few quesitons to clearify before the purchase and wonder if some once can help.

1) Will it connect to Blackberry 7250? Verizon Mine
2) Will it connect to a RAZOR? Verizon Wifes
2.1) What happens when both phones are in the car. (Mine and Wifes)
3) Did I need any special option to make this module work. I have the "thing" in the arm rest.
4) Everyone says you can buy it for $350 but when I goto the it says $408.

The set up procedure looks pretty stright forward. Any special things I need to tweak.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: S550 Bluetooth Guide