Events & Gatherings Use this forum to discuss upcoming Mercedes-Benz events and gatherings.

Check the Forum Calendar for Event dates.
View Poll Results: Which track and date would you like?
8/31 Driving School @ Thunderhill $225
12.50%
9/9 HPDE @ Infineon Raceway $149
31.25%
10/7 HPDE @ Infineon Raceway $149
12.50%
10/22 Driving School @ Thunderhill $225
37.50%
11/11 HPDE @ Thunderhill $149
6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Feeler: NorCal track event!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 11:21 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 slk55
Feeler: NorCal track event!

Hey all you MB enthusiasts! Do you enjoy spririted driving? Do you take the long way home just to drive on that twisty road? Do you enjoy speeding but fear the legal repercussions? Do you want a safe and fun way to truly enjoy your car?

If so, let's take it to the track! I have attended several AutoX events and track events. I enjoyed all of them. However, I found that track events with NASA is the most fun and safest enviroment to enjoy my car. The track event is part of their HPDE program. The cost is minimal. You become a member for $40 a year. Track events start at $149 which is quite affordable especially considering some of the tracks you'll attend. How about Thunderhill, Infineon, Leguna Seca, etc?

So, please take some time to read up on the program. I will attend several more events throughout the rest of the year. I am hoping many of us can get together and enjoy at least one event this year. As you'll read on NASA website, there is 4 different driver groups. Based on the fact that for many this would be their first track event, I feel we should go out with Group 1 which is for beginners and offers a free instructor. In addition, Group 1 and 2 drive at the same time, the difference is with or without an instructor.

So, if you are interested, please note which date and track you would like to attend. I have 3 different HPDE events listed plus 2 Driving schools at Thunderhill.
Hopefully, we get a large group of MB enthusiasts. Let's get something together!

Take some time to truly enjoy the performance of your car. You and your ride deserve it!

Thunderhill Driving School:
http://www.thunderhill.com/html/driving_school.html

HPDE Information:
http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html
http://www.nasaproracing.com/schedules/norcal.html

Last edited by dsb; 07-23-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:43 PM
Banned

F248 F1
I'm so down !
Old 07-24-2006, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
is this just open to MB? I'm down for it
Old 07-24-2006, 02:38 AM
Banned

F248 F1
Ah, no 1/4 for me kinda stuff... i'm not into that, so if a road course i'm in for sure. As longest it is before i depart over seas !
Old 07-24-2006, 11:01 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by Trekman
is this just open to MB? I'm down for it
Not just for MB, it's for anyone and everyone. I'm going to post this on the BMW forums too. I'd love to get a decent size Euro group out there.

There's always alot of talk here (ie 1/4 times, what beats what). It would be nice for all of us to simply get on a road course and have some safe fun.

BTW, make sure you poll which course and date is best for you! If you could do multiple dates, list that in your response. I'd like to get a single GTG date for all forums. I am down for all of them!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s coupe
Yes!

Had not heard of this, but I am very interested. I have Infineon's High Performance class (in my current CLK55) and two AMG Challenges under my belt. At these rates, this is great value. My SLK55 on order may even be here in time for one of the later dates.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
im in
Old 07-26-2006, 12:59 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Great to hear there are some track enthusiasts out there! It's funny, whenever I attend a GTG, I often enjoy the drive/caravan the most! Many car clubs like Porsche & BMW have track events. I wish MB owners were a little more inclined to get on the track too! Hopefully, this will change. At the very least, we can all have quite some fun!

egxpimp, Trekman, rroberts-
Did you get a chance to look at the links yet? I want to ensure you understand the programs. HPDE events cost $149 but there is a membership fee of $40 per year. So, that brings the total to $189. The Driving School total cost is $225. For either program, HPDE or Thunderhill driving school, you need a helmet and basic prep for your car. Note: this is stuff you can do yourself using a checklist or you can go to a shop to perform. Again, basic things to check like brakes, fluids, etc.

With HPDE, we have to settle on a date at least 2 weeks prior to the start. Otherwise, they fill up pretty quick. That said, it seems like people are leaning towards the $149 HPDE at Infineon. Is that right? What are your thoughts?

1) dsb slk55
2) egxpimp 500se
3) Trekman C32
4) rroberts clk55

Last edited by dsb; 07-26-2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
I'm 1000% in if it's not only 1/4-mile drag racing.... I'm more looking for some lesson to push myself to the limit (I know my cars' limit is way beyond me ). May bring some friends too...

BTW, what's the difference in terms of lesson between Thunderhill & NASA?

8/31 may be too early for me (work has been busy lately).... 9/9 seems to be good.... but October & Nov should be the best (plenty of time to arrange my schedule)

Keep me updated... and thanks for bringing this up.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:42 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by zoink
I'm 1000% in if it's not only 1/4-mile drag racing.... I'm more looking for some lesson to push myself to the limit (I know my cars' limit is way beyond me ). May bring some friends too...

BTW, what's the difference in terms of lesson between Thunderhill & NASA?

8/31 may be too early for me (work has been busy lately).... 9/9 seems to be good.... but October & Nov should be the best (plenty of time to arrange my schedule)

Keep me updated... and thanks for bringing this up.
I kinda like the 9/9 date too. A couple reasons... 1)It's a little further out so it gives us a better chance for a larger turnout. 2)It's the closest date that allows Group 1 drivers. HPDE events do not always allow Group 1 drivers. So, the sooner a newbie gets a lesson, the faster they can be allowed to join Group 2. That way, you have more track events you can join in the future.

A good link to read about NASA HPDE is located here. There are good links at the bottom of the page too!
http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/firstday.html

I'll try answer your question regarding HPDE vs Thunderhill Driving School. First, I would recommend checking the links above. Here's some notable differences. Hopefully I hit them all. Feel free to ask questions.

Costs:
-Thunderhill Driving School $225. Includes shirt and lunch

-HPDE Event $149 with an annual membership fee of $40

Track
-Thunderhill is located in Willows, CA. Northwest of Sacramento. It is a 3 mile course with lots of runoff. 15 turns.

-HPDE is at various tracks. Of course, the ones coming up are for Infineon and Thunderhill. I'm sure you've read about Infineon aka Sears point. If not, google it.

Track Time
-Thunderhill DS (5) 20 minute sessions with an instructor everytime. No passengers permitted.

-HPDE (4) 20 minute sessions with an instructor if in Group 1. Note: first time drivers are required to enroll in Group 1. No passengers permitted unless in Group 2 or higher. Must be 18 yrs or older.

Track Setup
-Thunderhill DS - Cones are utilized to help with braking zones, apex, exits. Occassionally, they'll place additional cones. For instance, they may place a chicane on the straightaway to keep speeds down.

-HPDE. No cones. The instructor coaches you anyways.

Similarities
-Each is an all day event. They arrange it where you will first go to a driver's meeting. You'll learn many things including flag colors and meanings. You'll also meet your instructor.
-Each 20 minute session is followed by a download. This is a 20 minute meeting discussing the driving event. What went well. Any issues to discuss. Both programs are quick to check anyone that doesn't follow the rules regarding passing and other things. Break the rules, get kicked out. Suits me fine. I don't want some idiot out there.
-So, the day is spread out like that. 20 minute driving session, 20 minute download, 20 break and over again. there'll be a lunch break in there too.
-You'll learn a great deal about you and your car. It's extremely fun and although 80 minutes of drive time doesn't sound like much, it is tiresome. Get some rest!
-No road rage or aggression. I have never seen that there. Everyone wants to have fun but understand that they want it safe for them and their car.
-Everyone there is friendly. Never met someone I didn't like. Great enviroment.

I think that's about it. I'm sure I missed some things (or many things)! Again, ask if you have more questions.

Dan
Old 07-26-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 E63S
Hi fellas. I think this is a great idea. I am always recommending that people with "performance" cars head to the track for some instruction and seat time!

I have been doing HPDE's for about 9 years and instructing the last 3. I would highly recommend Thunderhill to you guys. It has the most run-off room by FAR of all the NorCal tracks, hence, I would say it is the "safest" to drive on. In contrast, Sears Point (Infineon) has a LOT of walls and is by far, the most technical track. Get it wrong there and you will be talking to a wall. Two spec Miata's ate some wall when I was there Friday! Not fun.

I have run with several clubs in the past....these are the guys I have been running with consistently, and would recommend:

1. Trackmasters Racing
2. Unlimited Laps
3. Northern California Racing Club

Each is a "school" type HPDE. run group, download session (class), rest, do it over. All novices will get instruction. You can request instruction in higher classes. i would strongly urge you to seek instruction as there is always somethign else to learn. Even after 9 years on the track, I still have a fellow instructor ride with me once in a while to check me...and there is always something I am not doing right! So, even if you are comfortable on the track, I would still recommend instruction....you can only get better and faster!

I may not have my E55 by the time you guys go, but i will keep checking the thread and possibly go myself, or I may be instructing too...who knows.

If you have any questions that I may be able to answer, just let me know.
I would be happy to help.

Tim
Old 07-27-2006, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
question

so if I haven't done this before I have to pick a thunderhill date?

I'm going to be really busy next couple months ... so my preferences are the later dates.

Cant wait to try this!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:01 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Yes, just vote on a date that would work well for you. In addition, it would probably help to note other dates that would work in your post.

Jesse, you are going to love this! It is well worth it!
Old 07-28-2006, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey, what's the difference w/ Skip Barber other than the car itself (ours vs. theirs)? The last time I took driving school, I used my own car and did finish most of the tires (70% to only 20-30%).... so for tires I'd guess about $1K... plus brakes (last time I didn't toast my brakes.... but who knows this time). If the brakes are toast, that'll be another $2-3K.

If we gather enough people, may be we could ask for a group discount... the price is around $1.5K....

So in all, this could be more expensive to take.... what's your opinion?
Old 07-28-2006, 12:10 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by zoink
Hey, what's the difference w/ Skip Barber other than the car itself (ours vs. theirs)? The last time I took driving school, I used my own car and did finish most of the tires (70% to only 20-30%).... so for tires I'd guess about $1K... plus brakes (last time I didn't toast my brakes.... but who knows this time). If the brakes are toast, that'll be another $2-3K.

If we gather enough people, may be we could ask for a group discount... the price is around $1.5K....

So in all, this could be more expensive to take.... what's your opinion?
Zoink,

I haven't attended Skip Barber or any of those other +$1K driving programs. I'm sure they're great but more than I'd want to spend.

Tires: I sure didn't wear out my tires by 50% on the Thunderhill. It is a fairly smooth track which makes it easy on the tires, although you might not be Personally, I've lost more tread on Autocross events than track events because of poor conditions (rough asphalt, abrupt turns, etc). So, I don't think tires will be impacted that much.

Brakes: I've been very pleased with my brakes holding up. I probably will put in some better fluids eventually, but I experienced no brake fade. In addition, my brake pads are still in great shape. I don't think brakes will be impacted much either.

So, I think the classes I've listed are the best value. Total cost is very cheap especially considering what you get in return. It will be the best $200 you spent in a long time.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:28 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by dsb
Zoink,

I haven't attended Skip Barber or any of those other +$1K driving programs. I'm sure they're great but more than I'd want to spend.

Tires: I sure didn't wear out my tires by 50% on the Thunderhill. It is a fairly smooth track which makes it easy on the tires, although you might not be Personally, I've lost more tread on Autocross events than track events because of poor conditions (rough asphalt, abrupt turns, etc). So, I don't think tires will be impacted that much.

Brakes: I've been very pleased with my brakes holding up. I probably will put in some better fluids eventually, but I experienced no brake fade. In addition, my brake pads are still in great shape. I don't think brakes will be impacted much either.

So, I think the classes I've listed are the best value. Total cost is very cheap especially considering what you get in return. It will be the best $200 you spent in a long time.
8/31, I'm there. I think I'll bring the wife so she can drive the Kleemann & I'll take out the RX-7 R1. It will be good for both of us to get some instruction & track time with our cars. Just changed all my RX-7 fluids & got the S7 serviced - think I'll buy some helmets.

See ya,
-Matt
Old 07-29-2006, 01:16 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Okay,

-It looks like Matt (yellowr1) prefers the 8/31 date.
-Jesseliu prefers later dates, just not sure which one.
-Zoink prefers 9/9 and perhaps later dates.
-Trekman & egxpimp haven't mentioned what suits them best.
-rroberts likes later dates.
-arcticfox unsure which dates.

I prefer the 9/9 event and 10/22 event. That gives us just enough time to get prepared and schedule our lives accordingly. It also gives us a chance to experience both formats, Thunderhill vs Infineon.

How about that? Can we all settle on one date? Do you think one of these would work for us all?

BTW, I will probably attend both dates anyways!
Old 07-29-2006, 03:12 AM
Banned

F248 F1
Dsb, I don't mind any date. As longest i'm still here on planet earth, and the bay area. I might end up going to Hong Kong University. If so i will leave Sept. 10th or so. So as longest i'm here, any date is fine.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:29 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by dsb
Okay,

-It looks like Matt (yellowr1) prefers the 8/31 date.
-Jesseliu prefers later dates, just not sure which one.
-Zoink prefers 9/9 and perhaps later dates.
-Trekman & egxpimp haven't mentioned what suits them best.
-rroberts likes later dates.
-arcticfox unsure which dates.

I prefer the 9/9 event and 10/22 event. That gives us just enough time to get prepared and schedule our lives accordingly. It also gives us a chance to experience both formats, Thunderhill vs Infineon.

How about that? Can we all settle on one date? Do you think one of these would work for us all?

BTW, I will probably attend both dates anyways!
The 10/22 date is fine as well Dan - I'm just going to get the full day of instruction first so when I track my cars on later dates, I'll be in Group 3 or 4 & can begin pushing man & machine a bit.

See ya,
-Matt
Old 07-29-2006, 12:59 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
The 10/22 date is fine as well Dan - I'm just going to get the full day of instruction first so when I track my cars on later dates, I'll be in Group 3 or 4 & can begin pushing man & machine a bit.

See ya,
-Matt
I hear ya! That was my plan all along. Matt, keep this in mind. The 9/9 event is thru NASA while the 10/22 event is with Thunderhill.

So, if you plan to enter higher groups with NASA in the future, then make the 9/9 date. Looking at this site, http://www.nasaproracing.com/schedules/norcal.html , you'll see that NASA has many events. However, some of them are only open to groups 2-4. So, it's in our best interest to get out there while they allow group 1, get some experience, then be allowed to enter more events as group 2, 3, or 4.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:52 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG, del Sol VTEC
Any of the dates are OK by me, but I'd much prefer Infineon (less of a hike from SF).
Old 07-29-2006, 07:07 PM

2006 e55
what day is the majority of people planning to attend???
Old 08-01-2006, 01:24 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Okay, well it seems like we're narrowing down to two dates. Correct?
So, if this makes sense, what do you say to all of us signing up for one of two dates? I'm more than happy to attend both.

Please add yourself to one (or both) these dates. Roll call!

NASA HPDE @ Infineon - September 9th (this date is coming fast, we'll need to sign up soon!
1) dsb - slk55

Thunderhill Driving School @ Thunderhill - October 22nd
1) dsb - slk55

Last edited by dsb; 08-01-2006 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Count me in for 10/22. May bring couple more friends. Will confirm later.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
oct for me

Oct for me ... I"ll be traveling early sept.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Feeler: NorCal track event!