ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Well that was fun!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG ML63, M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe, New Audi TT, Audi R8 (coming)
Well that was fun!

Just came back from a day with the likes of Jethro and Roger Green at Bedford. We were comparing the new Porsche Cayenne Turbo with the AMG ML63 plus a wildcard track-biased car (which shall remain nameless since I'll let you read about it in the mag).

A few surprises; firstly I reckon Porsche are fettling their press cars because the Cayenne developed quite a bit more horses than it says on the tin. The ML63 delivered just above the prescribed amount on the rolling road. But when we drag raced them side by side they were evenly matched since the Cayenne weighed over 160kg more than the ML (weighed using the scales).

I joined Jethro for all of his timed laps and we may have set a new fast lap for Cayenne's around Bedford, but again there was nothing between them on lap pace - in fact the ML felt quicker to me. In the Cayenne we could switch the ESP system completely off which resulted in complete tail out slides at well into three figures. The ML's ESP cut in at this point, so I reckon it would probably have lapped quicker than the Cayenne if similarly disabled.

The Cayenne came with this fancy new PDDC, which was good, but to be honest the AMG system on the ML was pretty similar.

As you can imagine tyres and brakes received a considerable punishment, but stood up to at least half a dozen or more laps. The crowning moment came on my last few laps in the Cayenne, as the light was fading for the evening and when I returned to the pits the front discs were 'bright red' absolutely glowing. Amazing. Jethro got a picture with his camera phone, but I've never seen a road car do that. Ever.

All in all, a typcially fun day out and it answered some questions I had about whether I should have bought the Cayenne instead of my ML63.

I'm pretty happy with my choice.

Read all about it in next month's EVO...
Old 03-08-2007, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Why didnt you switch it to the dyno mode? It completely disables ESP + ABS tho.... Should be great read!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by BoBcanada
Why didnt you switch it to the dyno mode? It completely disables ESP + ABS tho.... Should be great read!
In dyno mode it disables the power steering also, which is ok on a wet track but hopeless on a dry track.

I can clearly attest though, much to my surprise, that the ML63 can aquit itself very capably on track. And it does so just as well as Porsche's latest Cayenne with all their new tricks.

Also the ML has much more prescence than the Cayenne, and looks the more 'serious' performance car. A 'real' surprise we found when drag racing them was how the Cayenne lifts its nose in the air and then keeps it there (like a boat), whereas the ML looks completely composed by comparison. Really weird. Despite me reading the handbook and ensuring that the Cayenne was in its most sporting format, it would continue to do this all day.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:16 PM

CL 600 Bi-Turbo
sounds as if you had a great day out DoctorD.
was there any noticeable turbo lag in the new Cayenne, the old one was very noticeable.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by sirees01
sounds as if you had a great day out DoctorD.
was there any noticeable turbo lag in the new Cayenne, the old one was very noticeable.
The lag was not as bad as I remember with the old 4.5 engine, but it still wasn't as responsive as the AMG 6.3. All of the journalists who drove the cars preferred the ML's engine, it was much more characterful, made a wonderful noise and just loves to rev. The Cayenne sounds like a cross between a food-mixer and a vaccum cleaner - I don't remember the old model sounding that way but it certainly didn't sound like a V8..
Old 03-08-2007, 04:14 PM

CL 600 Bi-Turbo
well,well, i'm surprised.
I was expecting a fanfare for the new Cayenne, this makes me feel a little better as we were not sure if we had made the right decision in buying the ML instead of the CTT.

many thanks for sharing this with us DoctorD
Old 03-08-2007, 04:26 PM

Well as we discussed last night I was expecting Porsche's new CTT to trounce the ML, but I came away with new found respect for the ML63. The Cayenne is mightly effective (as it always has been), but I still preferred the ML for being more sporty to drive, having the better engine and being able to do everything the Cayenne can do. The only area the Cayenne was obviously better was the leather/alcantara covering of the interior, which puts our UK spec ML63s to shame.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:57 PM

'08 CL63
Thanks for sharing DoctorD!

I've driven the '08 CTT loaded, including PDCC and agree with you 100%....ML63 is a more effective/rounded vehicle and...........approx. $20K U.S. less expensive !!!!!

Dave
Old 03-08-2007, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by DoctorD
In dyno mode it disables the power steering also, which is ok on a wet track but hopeless on a dry track.

Intresting on my ML350 it doesnt disables the power steering.... I did it many times recently to play in the snow.... I dont get why AMG would have secondary ESP on ML63, i remmebr reading article where they promissed that all new AMG vehicles will have full ESP off without secondary help!!!
Old 03-09-2007, 03:07 AM

CL 600 Bi-Turbo
there is a "Secret" code which can be punched in to the 63 that completely disables the ESP.
Check it out in the Fifth Gear review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99CBsWxvO9I

Anyone know the code ?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
there is a "Secret" code which can be punched in to the 63 that completely disables the ESP.

Anyone know the code ?
Yes, first on your oddometer you have to make it to show the milage, then put your key in, turn it in position one ( that is one turn, and not the full one) then press R button ( reset) 3 times, secret menu will show up then you just use your steering buttons to go up and you will see the dyno mode.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:04 PM

Anyone know the code ?
I applied it on mine a few months ago (and posted the results on this forum), but as I say it disabled ABS, ESP and the power steering on my ML63. So it seemed much more a 'dyno facility' rather than a 'fun button'.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:12 AM

CLS55 AMG
very nice... do you work for EVO or ??

ill definitely buy the new issue now, any idea when its out (current one is with the Alfa 8C)
Old 03-10-2007, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by 0700700
very nice... do you work for EVO or ??

ill definitely buy the new issue now, any idea when its out (current one is with the Alfa 8C)
I work with EVO on several articles every year, but for me its just a hobby. You will see my name mentioned from time to time (Steve D), most recently by my contributions to the article in this months magazine on the new M3 V8 (and looking back historically at the M3 GTR), but my Z4M Coupe was also featured a few months ago. It's fun to test out different cars and talk cars with other enthusiasts.

The Cayenne vs ML63 will be in next months magazine due in the UK by the first week of April. This is probably the 'first' and perhaps the only detailed performmance test between the two super-SUVs so regardless of which you prefer it should make an interesting read.

I guess I began contributing to magaines like EVO, Performance Car, Autocar etc around 15 or more years ago and have worked with most of the journalists and photographers. It provides great insight into how these stories are put together and I learn a bit now and then about what's really going on in some of the manufacturers.

Last edited by DoctorD; 03-10-2007 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:57 PM

Steve (DoctorD)

Was that your truck used in the comparo? The reason I asked is because I thought your truck was lowered a while ago to make it feel more stable at speed (to be closer to the feeling you got with your 4.8is). So would you still have the same view/feeling if the ML63 was 100% as it came from the factory?

Thanks
Old 03-14-2007, 04:49 PM

No, we set all the performance stats and track times in an ML63 supplied by Mercedes Benz (with no lowering). I had mine there as a comparison and we drag raced them side by side, just to make sure it was as a 'customer' car should be. It was. Mercedes' press ML63 measured 511bhp on the dyno, which the magazine uses to test all their cars so it's nice to know mine (therefore) is as healthy as it should be.

I think you will be impressed when you read the acceleration times we got too.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No, we set all the performance stats and track times in an ML63 supplied by Mercedes Benz (with no lowering). I had mine there as a comparison and we drag raced them side by side, just to make sure it was as a 'customer' car should be. It was. Mercedes' press ML63 measured 511bhp on the dyno, which the magazine uses to test all their cars so it's nice to know mine (therefore) is as healthy as it should be.

I am pretty anxious to get this magazine in my hands. There has not been too many good articles on the 63 yet.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG

So is it as fast as E63???
Old 03-14-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by BoBcanada
So is it as fast as E63???
No. But let's put it this way, the new Porsche Cayenne Turbo with the twin-turbo 4.8 litre engine is quicker than the old Cayenne Turbo S...

... but it's not quick enough.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:44 PM

Just to give an idea of what the ML63 was like on track, here's my shaky cameraphone movie. You will notice we were having a few 'issues' with the intrusivness of Merc's ESP system. I should have recorded the Cayenne's lap as a contrast to show you the difference with an ESP system that was fully switched off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUyKRPT8kKY

Last edited by DoctorD; 03-17-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Almost a Member!

SL55 AMD
Sorry Steve... I can't get the EVO magazine from my country Panama.

But, what was the 1/4 times in both cars and the trap speed?

Thanks!!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:39 PM

'07 CLS63 AMG, '08 S550, '09 GL450 w/appearance pkg., ('06 BMW '04 M3, '01 Boxster S - ALL SOLD)
How does it compare to the new BMW X5 4.8i ???
Old 03-18-2007, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by CLS63AMGGUY
I dont think they compare at all, 4.8 would compare to ml500...
Old 03-18-2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by greenbeast
Sorry Steve... I can't get the EVO magazine from my country Panama.

But, what was the 1/4 times in both cars and the trap speed?

Thanks!!
I will find a way of posting up the results once the magazine has been published.

...and speak to EVO about arranging to supply the mag in Panama!
Old 03-18-2007, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by CLS63AMGGUY
Well I owned 2 4.8is X5s before my ML63 and the ML is considerably quicker.

Need to wait and see how the new X5 with a 5 litre twin-turbo engine will perform when it appears in just over a year from now.