W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update: MHP ECU/TCU Tuning (Throttle Blipping, etc, DONE!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:07 PM
MHP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Update: MHP ECU/TCU Tuning (Throttle Blipping, etc, DONE!)

We are less than a week away from official objective test results (dyno/track/video) from our ECU/TCU tuning for 63/65 AMGs. We've finalized our calibrations, and standard package pricing so I figured it was time to post an update. First since a good number of potential customers have been asking, YES we can and have enabled rev matched/throttle blipped downshifts in both 7 and 5 speed vehicles.
We have decided to only offer complete driveline tuning for 63 variants (both ECU and TCU) we will not be selling ECU/TCU tunes seperately as we originally planned. This is due to the fact that every ECU/TCU combo we tune is custom flashed for the vehicle in question (mods included) to work in perfect harmony. We will however tune a TCM from a AMG 55/65 and 600s only if you are running a stock ECU. Please contact us for pricing.
What advantages will you see with our driveline tuning vs. stock or even other aftermarket ECU only tunes? We can make more power than other tuners, without hurting the driveline, because the two control units are working together, not against each other. Additionally, we don't want to run someone else's ECU tune with our TCU tune because the results won't be optimal and we won't put our name on anything but the best. Our customers can expect consistant shifts (all gears including 1-2), raised or stock shift points, rev matched downshifts/no load throttle blipping, extra stall speed, reduced or eliminated launch/shift torque management (your choice), quicker/firmer shifts (you choose the level from 1-10), significantly reduced adaptive learning, substantially quicker downshifts, finely tuned A/F and timing tables (including both part throttle and WOT) and razor sharp throttle response. We marry the driveline components so they work together, as they should have from the factory. There is simply no comparison to a stock tune equipped vehicle, the difference in performance and all around drivability is simply enormous.
Stage II tuning entails even more comprehensive modification for an additional fee. Please call, PM, or email for more details pertaining to your specific application.

Here's how stage I pricing will breakdown for the different models:

C63: $5000.00, Full Stage I (+Filters, Thermalnators): $5250 shipped.

E/CLS/CLK63 (inc. BS): $6000.00, Full Stage I (+Filters, Thermalnators): $6250 shipped.

S/SL/CL65: $7500.00, Full Stage I (+Filters, Thermalnators): $7750.00 shipped.

E/SL/S/CLS55: $6000.00, Full Stage I (+Filters, Thermalnators): $6250.00 shipped.

600s: $6000.00, Full Stage I (+Filters, Thermalnators): $6250.00 shipped.

We have an incredible amount of R&D time in our tuning, and the results will speak for themselves LOUD and CLEAR. Please sit back and form your own opinion of our products as the results roll in. Again as I've said prior, we think that 90% of our stage I customers will not need any further modification to their vehicles, they will be more than happy with just driveline tuning.

Thanks and please feel free to contact me with any questions, concerns, and/or comments.

Finally we may offer a one time Group Purchase for a select number of each model variant we currently tune for. Maybe 3-5 of each. Price will be $500 under list for all tunes. I'll start taking names next week after we have some data.

Andrew Cluck
Modern Horsepower LLC
614 940 9523
andrew@modernhorsepower.com

Last edited by MHP; 09-13-2008 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
cant wait to see it in action
Old 09-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Old 09-12-2008, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Pass it over Sun.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:49 PM

Obsidian E55
$6000 for an E ecu/tcu reflash....... it better be good as you say so.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by MHP
E/CLS55: $6000.00
Does the price include a tube of KY Jelly?
Old 09-12-2008, 08:11 PM

08 CLS63
Originally Posted by kompressed55
Hahaha....I can't wait, but the pricing..ouch. Maybe I will reconsider?
Old 09-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Received 505 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Hey Andy, to follow-up our conversation, what do you expect a stock E55 to do with your TCU/ECU tune and what do you expect your tune to do for an E55 with pulley, headers, TB, etc?

These guys are thinking that 6 grand buys a lot of mods. I think the skeptical responses are based the on the past results of an ECU tune without a larger pulley.

Guys, I plan on meeting up with Andy this Wednesday at Norwalk to check out what he has done with the C63. I will honestly report all the details.........unless he embarrasses my E55.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
you nearly lost me when you forced us to bundle the ecu/tcu and totally lost me with the price. actually i'm not about to give up the extreme power AND reliability my kleemann ecu has given me (allowing me to reach 85K miles with this much power) so i can get a tcu tune so i guess you did lose me with the forced bundle. i do hope it works out for others though...
Old 09-12-2008, 09:42 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
you nearly lost me when you forced us to bundle the ecu/tcu and totally lost me with the price. actually i'm not about to give up the extreme power AND reliability my kleemann ecu has given me (allowing me to reach 85K miles with this much power) so i can get a tcu tune so i guess you did lose me with the forced bundle. i do hope it works out for others though...
Have you checked your A/F with that Kleeman tune? In the many conversations I've had with members/E55 owners with said tunes those who had checked (especially those with more mods) found they were running excessively rich (one customer in NC stated after 5 revisions he was still at 9.9:1).
Regardless the only way we can assure optimal performance is by tuning both control units ourselves. Sorry to disappoint.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by MHP
We are less than a week away from official objective test results (dyno/track/video) from our ECU/TCU tuning for 63/65 AMGs. We've finalized our calibrations, and standard package pricing so I figured it was time to post an update. First since a good number of potential customers have been asking, YES we can and have enabled rev matched/throttle blipped downshifts in both 7 and 5 speed vehicles. Marko's CL65 will be the first 5A to have this feature, Jim's CLK BS 63 will also have it enabled--as will everyone else that purchases driveline tuning from us.
Unfortunately due to the weather (raining all day today) I won't be able to hit the track with my C63 until next Wednesday (running at Norwalk if anyone wants to watch), however I will hit the dyno on Mon/Tues.
We have decided to only offer complete driveline tuning (both ECU and TCU) we will not be selling ECU/TCU tunes seperately as we originally planned. This is due to the fact that every ECU/TCU combo we tune is custom flashed for the vehicle in question (mods included) to work in perfect harmony. We can make more power than other tuners, without hurting the driveline, because the two control units are working together, not against each other. Additionally, we don't want to run someone else's ECU tune with our TCU tune because the results won't be optimal and we won't put our name on anything but the best.
What advantages will you see with our driveline tuning vs. stock or even other aftermarket ECU only tunes?
Consistant shifts (all gears including 1-2), shift points bumped 200rpm (or however much you want, if at all), rev matched downshifts/no load throttle blipping, extra stall speed, reduced or eliminated launch/shift torque management (your choice), quicker/firmer shifts (you choose the level from 1-10), significantly reduced adaptive learning, substantially quicker downshifts, finely tuned A/F and timing tables (including both part throttle and WOT) and razor sharp throttle response. We marry the driveline components so they work together, as they should have from the factory. There is simply no comparison to a stock tune equipped vehicle, the difference in performance and all around drivability is simply enormous.
Stage II tuning entails even more comprehensive modification for an additional fee. Please call, PM, or email for more details pertaining to your specific application.

Here's how stage I pricing will breakdown for the different models:

C63: $5500.00

E/CLS/CLK63: $6000.00

SL/CL65/600: $7500.00

E/CLS55: $6000.00

We have an incredible amount of R&D time in our tuning, and the results will speak for themselves LOUD and CLEAR. Please sit back and form your own opinion of our products as the results roll in. Again as I've said prior, we think that 90% of our stage I customers will not need any further modification to their vehicles, they will be more than happy with just driveline tuning.

Thanks and please feel free to contact me with any questions, concerns, and/or comments.

Andrew Cluck
Modern Horsepower LLC
614 940 9523
andrew@modernhorsepower.com
Sounds incredible, but the pricing is matching How bout' just ----rev matched downshifts/no load throttle blipping---- say a few hudo

I would love to see some dynos 65/600tt..... I highly doubt you'll get many takers from us TT crowd $7500 is reCOCKulous lol...

Not trying to rip on what your trying to do here it sounds utterly fantastic, just that pricing made our bungholes pucker up....
Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by andy_cyp
$6000 for an E ecu/tcu reflash....... it better be good as you say so.
Again if it's not, please rake me over the coals of hell forever.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:47 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by kompressed55
KY is so 1980, try H20, it's much more effective.

I realized there was going to be some sticker shock, but please wait for the results gents.

We are considering (after objective data is posted) doing a one time GP which would reduce the price a fair amount. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks
Andy
Old 09-12-2008, 09:52 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Rock
Hey Andy, to follow-up our conversation, what do you expect a stock E55 to do with your TCU/ECU tune and what do you expect your tune to do for an E55 with pulley, headers, TB, etc?
Dave, it's so hard to answer that question due to the large amount of variables it contains: Track, car, weather, driver, tires, exact mods...Honestly, it's going to be vehicle dependant, but the gains will absolutely be greater than with any present tuning package on the market, bar none. Let me work my magic on your car as discussed and we can have some hard data for a decently modded E55. With a money back guarantee, what's there to lose?

These guys are thinking that 6 grand buys a lot of mods. I think the skeptical responses are based the on the past results of an ECU tune without a larger pulley.
Not that we won't see great gains with ECU/TCU flashes on a stock pulley vehicle (the amount of tq management in a stock ECU/TCU flash could choke an elephant) but if customers are really worried I guess they could put a pulley on at the same time to really take advantage of the tuning?

Guys, I plan on meeting up with Andy this Wednesday at Norwalk to check out what he has done with the C63. I will honestly report all the details.........unless he embarrasses my E55.
Absolutely. I will hand Dave the keys and let him personally beat the **** out of my C63 on and off the track. If there's anyone else in attendance that's a member here, please let me know and you can as well.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by MHP
Again if it's not, please rake me over the coals of hell forever.

Just for clarification. You're implying that the MB software is very much tuned to 'protect' the drive train and significantly downgrades the cars performance and you can 'bypass' that? And that pulleys etc would unleash much more performance if the 'nanny' software didn't intervene?
Old 09-12-2008, 09:55 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by OzE55
Just for clarification. You're implying that the MB software is very much tuned to 'protect' the drive train and significantly downgrades the cars performance and you can 'bypass' that? And that pulleys etc would unleash much more performance if the 'nanny' software didn't intervene?
The stock tunes aren't just protective, they're blatantly overprotective. No question the amount of TM alone in the tunes is absolutely killing performance. Yes, our tunes maximize the full potential of your mods (or the stock setup if you don't have any) like no one else can.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:59 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Thericker
Sounds incredible, but the pricing is matching How bout' just ----rev matched downshifts/no load throttle blipping---- say a few hudo

I would love to see some dynos 65/600tt..... I highly doubt you'll get many takers from us TT crowd $7500 is reCOCKulous lol...

Not trying to rip on what your trying to do here it sounds utterly fantastic, just that pricing made our bungholes pucker up....
I hear what you're saying, but what does RennTech/Brabus charge for their tunes (which are nowhere near as good as ours)?
What if I could not only net you 900lb/ft of torque with just tuning but not smoke your tranny in the process (again the magic is in the mating of the two driveline controllers so they work together), would you still conisder the price to be high?
Old 09-12-2008, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by MHP
Have you checked your A/F with that Kleeman tune? In the many conversations I've had with members/E55 owners with said tunes those who had checked (especially those with more mods) found they were running excessively rich (one customer in NC stated after 5 revisions he was still at 9.9:1).
Regardless the only way we can assure optimal performance is by tuning both control units ourselves. Sorry to disappoint.
of course i've checked afr's and it is a bit rich but nowhere near 9's...it drops just below 11 at the very top. however imho, timing is more important and there have been enough tuners around here that have gotten a bit too aggressive and blown motors because of it. so i don't mind leaving a few hp on the table in favor of reliability. 85k miles on the odo, with 50k being fully modded and thoroughly enjoying it most of the time, says something about reliability (knock wood ).

also, in the thermalnator thread, i do recall you stating that your prices would be more fair than your competition so i am disappointed by the price increase and forced bundle. i guess there's no getting away from our amg/idiot tax.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by MHP
I hear what you're saying, but what does RennTech/Brabus charge for their tunes (which are nowhere near as good as ours)?
What if I could not only net you 900lb/ft of torque with just tuning but not smoke your tranny in the process (again the magic is in the mating of the two driveline controllers so they work together), would you still conisder the price to be high?
Hmmm ok.. the latest Kleemann K2 SL600 ECU/TCU netted 500+ rwhp & 680+ rwto on Dyno Dynamics dyno, most of us here use Dynojets they always read higher, so say 700rwto on Dynojet = 853 crank torque w/18% loss..

I'd highly consider your offer if it were 900rwto but I know that aint happening. I love the sounds of all your increased parameters but don't think I'll pay $7500 when K2 is only $4500 or Powerchip VRP $2500, there just finishing TCU so prolly another $1k for that...

I only know of (1) failed trans on a 65, and it was replaced under full warranty after the tuner removed flash & dropped it @ dealership, I have however heard of plenty going into limp mode until shutdown/re-started.

Just a thought, since every other tuner charges a lot more for the 65 AMG tuning & considerably less for the 600tt, maybe you'd grab more of us 600tt guys if you dropped the price to $6k instead of $7500
Old 09-12-2008, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Black on Black
Talking Hey Mikey!

of course i've checked afr's and it is a bit rich but nowhere near 9's...it drops just below 11 at the very top. however imho, timing is more important and there have been enough tuners around here that have gotten a bit too aggressive and blown motors because of it. so i don't mind leaving a few hp on the table in favor of reliability. 85k miles on the odo, with 50k being fully modded and thoroughly enjoying it most of the time, says something about reliability (knock wood ).

also, in the thermalnator thread, i do recall you stating that your prices would be more fair than your competition so i am disappointed by the price increase and forced bundle. i guess there's no getting away from our amg/idiot tax.
mikey: How have you been? It seems like you car is still running strong!!!
Hows Chris? Did he close his shop?

What does the future hold for you with your AMG? Will you stay with AMG?

Regards

(BTW, I still have not sold my house in AZ?? WTF?? I'll call you when I come to town next!)
Phil
Old 09-12-2008, 11:56 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
That's still rich up top. Yes timing is more important but you need to set A/F before deterimining optimal timing. I'm not saying the Kleeman tune isn't "reliable" but on the same note you can't say our tuning isn't either--though it will provide more power.

There's no way of getting around the fact of how long it takes to tune a transmission control unit and then merry it to a ECU, that's where the $ factor comes into play. Pricing for actual parts like headers, exhaust, ported manifolds, thermalnators, etc. will be lower than the competition but we can't cut the breaks with tuning.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:03 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Hmmm ok.. the latest Kleemann K2 SL600 ECU/TCU netted 500+ rwhp & 680+ rwto on Dyno Dynamics dyno, most of us here use Dynojets they always read higher, so say 700rwto on Dynojet = 853 crank torque w/18% loss..
Ok, first not all DynoDynamics dynos read lower than DJs. Just like any eddy current dyno (Mustang Dyno, Superflow, etc.) unless they are correctly set, they can easily read higher 15% or more in some cases. Eddy current dynos are great for tuning due to the artificial load they place on the driveline however when it comes to comparing power from different dynos, DynoJets are the only way to go. That being said I'd like to see some objective dynojet numbers if possible?

I'd highly consider your offer if it were 900rwto but I know that aint happening. I love the sounds of all your increased parameters but don't think I'll pay $7500 when K2 is only $4500 or Powerchip VRP $2500, there just finishing TCU so prolly another $1k for that...
I wouldn't be so sure. We're revising a CL65 TCU now and will do the ECU in about 3 weeks. You may want to hold off on purchasing anything until those results come in.
Like I've said before, no one else can tap as deep into the ECU as we can, no one can even come close in the TCU dept, and making them both work together hasn't been done by anyone but us.

I only know of (1) failed trans on a 65, and it was replaced under full warranty after the tuner removed flash & dropped it @ dealership, I have however heard of plenty going into limp mode until shutdown/re-started.
You won't have limp mode issues with our TCU tunes if that's what you're asking. It's already been covered.

Just a thought, since every other tuner charges a lot more for the 65 AMG tuning & considerably less for the 600tt, maybe you'd grab more of us 600tt guys if you dropped the price to $6k instead of $7500
Ok, after mulling over the differences in prices for the platforms, done. 600TTs are now $6000.

Do you have access to a track and DynoJet Dyno? PM me if you do.

Thanks
Andy
Old 09-13-2008, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
If the tcu/ecu tunes do everything claimed, I don't think the price is too unreasonable. It certainly sounds like a very comprehensive package considering the items offered. I would like to know more about the adaptive mod. Do you turn it off completely or do you set it to re-set itself?
Old 09-13-2008, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by MHP
Ok, first not all DynoDynamics dynos read lower than DJs. Just like any eddy current dyno (Mustang Dyno, Superflow, etc.) unless they are correctly set, they can easily read higher 15% or more in some cases. Eddy current dynos are great for tuning due to the artificial load they place on the driveline however when it comes to comparing power from different dynos, DynoJets are the only way to go. That being said I'd like to see some objective dynojet numbers if possible?

I wouldn't be so sure. We're revising a CL65 TCU now and will do the ECU in about 3 weeks. You may want to hold off on purchasing anything until those results come in.
Like I've said before, no one else can tap as deep into the ECU as we can, no one can even come close in the TCU dept, and making them both work together hasn't been done by anyone but us.

You won't have limp mode issues with our TCU tunes if that's what you're asking. It's already been covered.

Ok, after mulling over the differences in prices for the platforms, done. 600TTs are now $6000.

Do you have access to a track and DynoJet Dyno? PM me if you do.

Thanks
Andy
Woah! $6k talk about service! & you haven't even sold us anything yet

To be truthful I wasn't planning on spending quite so much on this mod, but your promises are making me rethink this part of my SL600 modding.
I don't have access to a decent track, I live in Santa Barbara, CA. but plenty of Dynojets in an hours distance

Tell you what, I'm currently waiting on VRP's latest TOTAL from TCU, I was sold w/them pretty much but you've created some excellent competition! I'll be waiting to see BOTH finished products Dynojet results from you & VRP before making my credit card melt

I've seen other K2 600tt Kleemann dyno's there all within 500-525rwhp & 680-700+rwto.....I deff want that RWTO

Thanks for your time.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:30 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Woah! $6k talk about service! & you haven't even sold us anything yet

To be truthful I wasn't planning on spending quite so much on this mod, but your promises are making me rethink this part of my SL600 modding.
I don't have access to a decent track, I live in Santa Barbara, CA. but plenty of Dynojets in an hours distance

Tell you what, I'm currently waiting on VRP's latest TOTAL from TCU, I was sold w/them pretty much but you've created some excellent competition! I'll be waiting to see BOTH finished products Dynojet results from you & VRP before making my credit card melt

I've seen other K2 600tt Kleemann dyno's there all within 500-525rwhp & 680-700+rwto.....I deff want that RWTO

Thanks for your time.
Sounds like a plan. Wait for the results and make your own decision, that's all I can ask. I'll be here if you have any questions in the meantime.

Thanks
Andy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Update: MHP ECU/TCU Tuning (Throttle Blipping, etc, DONE!)