SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: ABC Suspension?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black SL55
ABC Suspension?

I took my car in a couple days ago, because the warning for my ABC kept coming on. And when it would stay still for an hour our so I would come out and it was leaning to the right. Really bad, at first I thought I had two flats.
Anyways I took it in, and about 600 dollars later they said it was fixed. When I got it back I had a really bad squeeking noise that didnt start till I got home. Now this morning when I go out to my car.. I find this... Oh and the ABC warning light was on again.

At least it looks pretty bomb lowered.

Last edited by Flight_55; 02-24-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Black SL55
The front... Sorry its kinda blurry.
I guess I need air too... but I know thats not the problem.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
ABC suspension is pretty complicated. here is something to read up on. This is not a recall bulletin, but, it was addressed to ABC suspensions in 2003 and up models.

--

NHTSA Action Number: N/A NHTSA Recall Campaign Number:
PE07042 N/A
Make: MERCEDES BENZ Model: SL CLASS
Manufacturer : MERCEDES-BENZ USA, LLC.
Year : 2003
Component :
SUSPENSION:REAR:SPRINGS:AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM:SPRINGS/BAGS
SUSPENSION:REAR:SPRINGS:AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM:LINES AND FITTINGS
SUSPENSION:FRONT:SPRINGS:AIR SUSPENSION:SPRINGS/BAGS
SUSPENSION:FRONT:SPRINGS:AIR SUSPENSION:LINES AND FITTINGS
SUSPENSION:FRONT:SPRINGS:AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM

Date Investigation Opened : August 14, 2007
Date Investigation Closed : November 20, 2007
Summary:
THE SUBJECT S-CLASS VEHICLES CONTAIN A COMPRESSED AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM THAT USES AIR STRUTS ON EACH OF THE FOUR WHEELS IN LIEU OF TRADITIONAL SPRINGS AND SHOCK ABSORBERS. THESE AIR STRUTS USE COMPRESSED AIR TO SUPPORT THE WEIGHT OF THE VEHICLE AND CONTROL RIDE HEIGHT. IN THE EVENT OF THE LOSS OF AIR FROM THE SYSTEM, AN ALERT WILL FLASH ON THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WARNING THE DRIVER TO EITHER DRIVE CAREFULLY OR TO STOP THE VEHICLE. THE VEHICLE RIDE HEIGHT CAN BE REDUCED BY AS MUCH AS 105 MM BELOW NORMAL RIDE HEIGHT BEFORE THE FULL LOAD OF THE VEHICLE FOR THAT WHEEL COMES TO REST ON A STEEL ROD, WITH A RUBBER STOP ON THE END, LOCATED IN THE SHOCK ABSORBER. THIS REST-STOP CONDITION IS DESIGNED SUCH THAT THERE IS NO IMPACT ON VEHICLE CONTROL. MERCEDES-BENZ (MBUSA) SUPPLIED VIDEO SHOWING A VEHICLE IN THIS CONDITION OPERATING UNDER SEVERAL DIFFERENT SITUATIONS INCLUDING EVASIVE MANEUVERS DEMONSTRATING THE ABILITY OF THE VEHICLE TO BE CONTROLLED EFFECTIVELY WITH A RIDE HEIGHT REDUCED TO THE MINIMUM. ONLY THOSE COMPLAINTS TO ODI AND MBUSA THAT ALLEGED A STEERING INTERFERENCE DURING A REDUCED RIDE HEIGHT CONDITION WERE COUNTED IN THIS RESUME FAILURE REPORT. SOME COMPLAINTS ALLEGED THAT WITH A REDUCED RIDE HEIGHT AND A "STOP NOW" WARNING MESSAGE THERE WAS A RUBBING NOISE WHEN TURNING, BUT THE ABILITY TO STEER THE VEHICLE WAS NOT COMPROMISED. A SAMPLING OF WARRANTY CLAIMS SUBMITTED BY MBUSA DID NOT REVEAL ANY INDICATING A LOSS OF CONTROL DUE TO AN AIRMATIC SYSTEM FAILURE. THERE WAS ONE CRASH REPORTED BY MBUSA TO ODI BUT THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE INDICATED THAT IT RELATED TO SUSPENSION SYSTEMS AND IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE TO VERIFY THAT THE INCIDENT WAS RELATED TO AN AIRMATIC SYSTEM FAILURE. FURTHER USE OF AGENCY RESOURCES IN THIS MATTER DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE WARRANTED. THE AGENCY WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR COMPLAINTS AND OTHER INFORMATION RELATING TO THE ALLEGED DEFECT IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES AND WILL TAKE FURTHER ACTION IN THE FUTURE IF WARRANTED. THIS PRELIMINARY EVALUATION IS CLOSED.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
That is weird since the SL does not have a airmatic system?? fluid not air in the SL, this looks like the CL and S class not the SL?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Failed valve blocks are a common ABC failure that affects more than one but not all four corners. It sounds like they replaced one but screwed something up. Have the car towed back.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
you probably have a leak in the struts, or the lines or the pump.

i REALLY hope you still have warranty but it doesn't sound like you do. ABC is one of the most expensive things to fix on the SL.
You're in for $6k~+ while they investigate to try and find the problem.

My '04 was in the shop 6 times for the ABC thing, each time being told it was fixed and each time them finding something else to try and fix it.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Almost a Member!

Black SL55
I do have warranty, but they said it wasnt covered.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by Flight_55
I do have warranty, but they said it wasnt covered.
Flight, I can't think of any good reason for them not to fix the problem under warranty. The normal warranty exclusions are routine maintenance (which this isn't), damage caused by an accident (which this isn't), and damage caused by user furnished equipment (which this isn't).

There is a Mercedes technical service bulletin for this problem. It's order number P-B-32.50/34b. If it was me, I'd go back to the dealer and ask them to run that procedure as a warranty repair.

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2008, 12:53 PM

none
Originally Posted by jmf003
Flight, I can't think of any good reason for them not to fix the problem under warranty. The normal warranty exclusions are routine maintenance (which this isn't), damage caused by an accident (which this isn't), and damage caused by user furnished equipment (which this isn't).

There is a Mercedes technical service bulletin for this problem. It's order number P-B-32.50/34b. If it was me, I'd go back to the dealer and ask them to run that procedure as a warranty repair.

Good luck!
I went with Flight_55 to the dealer, and the story went like this:

"Since this is a maintenance procedure, it is not covered under warranty." They said they had to "bleed" to the ABC system because it was clogged or whatnot, and then they made the car do a "rodeo" thing where it lifted itself up and down and left to right. In any case, they said it was maintenance because the system was clogged.

I f'in hate the Stealerships.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:06 PM

SL 55 AMG
was ur car lowerd to begin with ?
Old 02-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Black SL55
Originally Posted by G_KATS
was ur car lowerd to begin with ?
Nope.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:44 PM

SL 55 AMG
from my experience that I know and seen..... everyone that i know that has an SL lowerd, never had a ABC problem .

maybe its because when the strut is lowerd its more tight and less air comes in and out ???

obviously its gonna make a noiser ride and less comfortable ...... but even lowerd SLz are pretty darn smooth . U can tell the difference even with the sound when going through bumps with a lowerd one then to a stock height .

the stock height makes more of a swoosh sound , almost like a wave ,very loose compared to a lowerd SL .
Old 02-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Originally Posted by Exodus

"Since this is a maintenance procedure, it is not covered under warranty." They said they had to "bleed" to the ABC system because it was clogged or whatnot, and then they made the car do a "rodeo" thing where it lifted itself up and down and left to right. In any case, they said it was maintenance because the system was clogged.

Where in the heck are you guys going for service ? Fletcher Jones ?
My second guess is Laguna Niguel.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Black SL55
Originally Posted by bltserv
Where in the heck are you guys going for service ? Fletcher Jones ?
My second guess is Laguna Niguel.
Motorcars Direct in Irvine. They are just as bad.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:59 PM

CLS63, GLK350

Did the dealer show you in the owners manual where the SL requires this kind of maintenance? Need to take this to the GM and ask for your money back. If they don't give it to you go to MB and report this. You are right they are wrong.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Benz SL55 AMG, Jag XJR
I think it looks nice! Consider it a free lowering job lol.. Its a bit too low, but cant you just drive with it raised "1 dot" or "2 dots" (via button), and then lower it on demand?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
You cant be serious ?
You need to go to a REAL MBZ dealer.
I am going to PM you a contact name and number.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:13 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Your kidding right? Why would a non-MB dealership be able to do warranty work? First if the car is still under warranty you have to take it to a real MB dealership to get the work done under warranty.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55

Here's the text from the TSB I mentioned:
If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles of the vehicle's suspension level lowering after being parked (engine off) and any combination of the fault codes stored, perform the corresponding action based upon the present condition.

Note:
The vehicle's level may lower at any of the following: an individual strut, front or rear axle, right or left vehicle side and/or complete vehicle.Note: For both conditions listed below, large temperature differences in the ABC suspension system between operating and when stationary for an extended period can also cause the vehicle to lower slightly.

The lowering is caused by temperature dependent volume changes in the ABC oil within the suspension struts. The vehicle can lower up to 10 mm when the temperature difference is 30°C (ABC operating temperature 20°C / outside ambient temperature -10°C).

Condition 1:
If a vehicle lowers after being stationary (engine off) within approximately one week, this is likely due to internal leakage in the check valve of the front (Y36/1) or rear (Y36/2) axle valve blocks. The internal leakage is the result of deposits or contamination on the valve seat of the check valve. In order remove the deposits, flush the ABC system (reference WIS document AR32.50-P-0025A).

If the complaint still continues to occur after the above procedure, the respective valve block must be replaced (reference WIS documents: Model 215/220 - AR32.50-P-0001N and AR32.50-P-0002N and Model 230 - AR32.50-P-0001R and AR32.50-P-0002R).

Caution!
It is imperative that the utmost attention for cleanliness be observed when working on the ABC suspension system in order to ensure that no contamination enters the system. Small particles of debris can contaminate the hydraulic fluid, thus causing internal leakage.

Condition 2:
If a vehicle lowers only after being stationary (engine off) for more than approximately a week, this is a characteristic of the hydraulic design and is not a complaint that requires a repair. The check valves in the front and rear axle valve blocks have a metal valve seat. The inherent design of this sealing method, required for system durability, permits a limited level of leakage which can result in the vehicle slowly lowering. If the vehicle does not lower significantly until after approximately one week has passed, do not perform any repair attempts.
I'd expect the bleeding to have been covered under warranty. It's definitely not on any MB maintenance schedule.

In any event since the problem has reoccurred, the check valves should be replaced under warranty.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:10 PM

SL 500
On my CL, the dealership did the whole rodeo routine, bled the values.. all covered under the original warranty. I would recommend u speak to the GM of the dealership or take it up with MBUSA directly.

good luck..
Old 02-25-2008, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
I hope you have a MBZ warranty, not a "motorcars direct" warranty....
Old 02-25-2008, 09:07 PM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
2018 C63 Sedan
I had the same problem twice. Last year with the front left and last month with the rear left. Dealer fixed under warranty both times; no questions asked. Took a week, but at least they fixed it, for now.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Black SL55
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Your kidding right? Why would a non-MB dealership be able to do warranty work? First if the car is still under warranty you have to take it to a real MB dealership to get the work done under warranty.

I give it to them, then give me a loaner, and take it off the the MB dealer.

I hope at least...
Old 02-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Black SL55
Originally Posted by Fantasm
I hope you have a MBZ warranty, not a "motorcars direct" warranty....
Deff. a MB warranty.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:18 PM

CLS63, GLK350
I give it to them, then give me a loaner, and take it off the the MB dealer.

I hope at least...
I don't understand what you are trying to say?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: ABC Suspension?