W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

80% leakdown on cylinder 5... what to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Some supercharger engines broke the pistons in this exactly site! i have the same case in a supercharger golf gti track car. between the 2nd compression & oiling control rings in the N 1 piston.

I don't hear about this situations in a charged MB engines, but he are the first! good to hear no scratchs in the cilinder wall

Fabio Daniel
Old 02-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by jeff.bisonett
...I'm still unsure what caused the ring failure... ...
Yes, that’s a tough one. Fortunate no other damage was sustained.

Best wishes getting everything buttoned back together.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML55 AMG
Hi Guys,

went into the shop this morning for a misfire. Started out testing coilpacks, wires, and plugs... then did a compression test, cylinder 5 was 145psi... then a leakdown test.... 80% leakdown on cylinder 5 and pretty loud out the crankcase, indicating rings.

Question: What should I do?

Number 1. You should contact Kleemann or the installer and ask them to pay for the repair bill. If not report them to BBB or file small claim court case. They have to take responsibility for this.

Number 2. Find out why your motor blew up. Take it to a third party and post the information on the board. All Kleemann customers should be aware of potential problems

Number 3. Finally, do not let Kleemann or installer blame you for why the motor blew. They will try every angle to do so.

Everyone online knows Kleemann like everyone else lies about the HP gain. I hope everything works out for you!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:13 PM

2001 E55K
Originally Posted by BalboaIslanddud
Number 1. You should contact Kleemann or the installer and ask them to pay for the repair bill. If not report them to BBB or file small claim court case. They have to take responsibility for this.

Number 2. Find out why your motor blew up. Take it to a third party and post the information on the board. All Kleemann customers should be aware of potential problems

Number 3. Finally, do not let Kleemann or installer blame you for why the motor blew. They will try every angle to do so.

Everyone online knows Kleemann like everyone else lies about the HP gain. I hope everything works out for you!
Number 1: Why are they responsible? Kleemann has a warranty and I'm out of the warranty timeframe. I am also running more boost (smaller supercharger pulley) than is supplied with the kit. There is no evidence to point to an inproper installation either.

Number 2: It's underway... there are a number of conditions that could cause lean running; I need to get the car back together to test out some possibilities. I agree that all customers, current and potential, should be aware of potential problems, that's why I'm posting all that I find.

Every time you modify a car, there is potential of damage and shortened lifespan of components. This is a fact of car modification. I'm not going to point fingers at anyone, because ultimately it is my car and my responsibility. I would understand that there is blame to be assigned if the car were under a warranty or if the installation was faulty. But the cold hard facts are that there is no warranty, I have found no faults to the installation, and I drove the car like a bat out of hell.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
I agree..
Old 02-11-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W211 E63
Number 1: Why are they responsible? Kleemann has a warranty and I'm out of the warranty timeframe. I am also running more boost (smaller supercharger pulley) than is supplied with the kit. There is no evidence to point to an inproper installation either.

Number 2: It's underway... there are a number of conditions that could cause lean running; I need to get the car back together to test out some possibilities. I agree that all customers, current and potential, should be aware of potential problems, that's why I'm posting all that I find.

Every time you modify a car, there is potential of damage and shortened lifespan of components. This is a fact of car modification. I'm not going to point fingers at anyone, because ultimately it is my car and my responsibility. I would understand that there is blame to be assigned if the car were under a warranty or if the installation was faulty. But the cold hard facts are that there is no warranty, I have found no faults to the installation, and I drove the car like a bat out of hell.
It's nice to see there are still people who are calm, reasonable, and think things through before rushing to blame others for what may or may not be something they did themselves! I appreciate that Jeff!
Old 02-13-2009, 09:23 PM

2002 ML55 AMG

jeff.bisonett

Number 1: Didn't know you were out of warranty. Why were you running a smaller pulley? Were you not satisfied with the power? Also, I thought the Ecu computer adapts to the supercharger.

Number 2: Good luck!
Old 02-13-2009, 09:25 PM

2002 ML55 AMG
Originally Posted by SleepersRock
It's nice to see there are still people who are calm, reasonable, and think things through before rushing to blame others for what may or may not be something they did themselves! I appreciate that Jeff!
Yes, I agree. I read AMGSC telling the whole world his engine blew up 100x because of the hps supercharger. As we see a few years later it is still running.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:25 PM

2002 ML55 AMG
I think Jeff is a practical type of guy and understand automotive. Thumbs up buddy!
Old 03-02-2009, 01:38 AM

2001 E55K
Quick update, but only one picture:

The new piston has been installed, the head all buttoned up. I ended up with an oil leak on first start-up. Replaced the valve cover gasket and no more leaks!

Went out for a quick test drive and everything seems to be in order so far!
Attached Thumbnails 80% leakdown on cylinder 5... what to do?-dsc03870.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 996 Turbo, 05 CLK55 AMG
Good to hear good job Jeff !!!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff,

Did you just replace one piston?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:22 AM

2001 E55K
Originally Posted by JamE55
Jeff,

Did you just replace one piston?
Yep, it was the only one with any damage, fortunately.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Wow, how did I miss this??? I'm sorry to hear about the cracked piston. Has me a little worried now too. Thanks for posting up this info, very informative. If It was me I would have gone all out on the motor (sleeves, rods, pistons) and turned up the boost or gone turbo. But I'm crazy like that. I hope everything works out for you and you get it figured out. When I did my cams I didnt have to remove the oil filter housing. And wasn't the cam tensioner bolt a biatch to put back in?
Old 03-07-2009, 03:20 PM

2011 E350 Sport/ 2000 E430
Awesome job. I like to read about guys doing their own work.

I think while I had it apart I would have bought an entire set of forged pistons so this wouldn't happen again. The stock piston looks cast. I would de-tune it some so another one doesn't break. A cast piston can fail even when the tune is *spot on*.

I like your attitude. When we hot rod these cars we take a lot of responsibility upon ourselves. If we want something that will run 250,000 miles with just maintenance then we would stay with normally aspirated bone stock engines.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:19 PM

2002 ML55 AMG
Any updates? Pics
Old 04-13-2009, 09:22 PM

2001 E55K
Well it's back to running and driving. I've got about 1100 miles on the new piston so far.

I haven't had the chance to do a compression test to see where cylinder 5 is.

I am going to law school in the fall and am considering selling the supercharger. PM or reply if interested.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:49 PM

2001 E55K
car has been running well. I've got 4700 miles on the new piston.

Car is listed for sale here: https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...land-ebay.html

eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120447448338