- 10 С Fan mode question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
- 10 С Fan mode question...

Many of US including ME have done -10C mode...Programmed our Fan to start working earlier...

My temps are usslually btw 80-90...As a result of it the FAN is working very often cause E55 engine reach 90c very easy...Even in winter times sometimes the fan is working...and it cold outisde...

So the question arises if it works often while you drive the does it robs POWER, cuase it takes the power from generator more often ???

If it wouldnt start working at 90c but at 100c, then less energy would be taken away at 90c ???

What do you think ??? may be this mod is wrong...
Old 04-18-2007, 11:33 AM
dsc

2004 E55
I would think the extra electricity it takes the fan to run is negligible to the cooling benefits
Old 04-18-2007, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
I dont much about this staff...but was told it could take some power...

Old 04-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Do not worry about cooler engine is more important to making power than an extra 0.5HP it takes to run the fans.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Thank you Vadim
Old 04-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Compared to the 80hp or 90hp in parasitic loss from spinning the S/C, I wouldn't worry too much about the electrical drain the fan causes when it kicks in.

Most of the electrical drain is on initial startup of the fan. Once it is spinning it does not tax the battery that much. Since there is a relay inline with the fan, the initial startup doesnt shock the battery anyways... nothing to worry about.. Let it cool your engine..

When someone says "the cooler the engine the better" there is a bit of a caveat to that... As long as the engine coolant temp is MINIMUM 80C and higher you are fine. If you do something to dip the temp below 80C you will put the ECU into COLD START MODE and it will dump more fuel than necessary.. In essence your car will constantly be running in COLD START mode. That's the only thing you have to concern yourself with.

Also, don't pay any attention to the temp display in the instrument cluster. It is nowhere near accurate. If you want an accurate coolant temp reading, do this:

1) Hit the AC OFF button and hold it for 5 sec.. it will put you into a "hidden menu".. You will see the TEMP display change. It will read something like "00" and then another set of numbers on the right side.

2) Hit the Driver's side temp increase button (the one with the RED arrow) 5 times until the display reads "06".. the numbers shown to the right will be the EXACT coolant temp in your car.

This is how I monitor coolant temp in my car.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by vrus
Compared to the 80hp or 90hp in parasitic loss from spinning the S/C, I wouldn't worry too much about the electrical drain the fan causes when it kicks in.

Most of the electrical drain is on initial startup of the fan. Once it is spinning it does not tax the battery that much. Since there is a relay inline with the fan, the initial startup doesnt shock the battery anyways... nothing to worry about.. Let it cool your engine..

When someone says "the cooler the engine the better" there is a bit of a caveat to that... As long as the engine coolant temp is MINIMUM 80C and higher you are fine. If you do something to dip the temp below 80C you will put the ECU into COLD START MODE and it will dump more fuel than necessary.. In essence your car will constantly be running in COLD START mode. That's the only thing you have to concern yourself with.

Also, don't pay any attention to the temp display in the instrument cluster. It is nowhere near accurate. If you want an accurate coolant temp reading, do this:

1) Hit the AC OFF button and hold it for 5 sec.. it will put you into a "hidden menu".. You will see the TEMP display change. It will read something like "00" and then another set of numbers on the right side.

2) Hit the Driver's side temp increase button (the one with the RED arrow) 5 times until the display reads "06".. the numbers shown to the right will be the EXACT coolant temp in your car.

Wow! Excellent insight.. thanks!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 11:12 AM

W211 E55AMG
Vrus,

Whats the other "hidden mode" functions?

i think there is lots of them...if 06 is for coolant temp...how about 07 and so on..?

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2007, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Finnish C32
Vrus,

Whats the other "hidden mode" functions?

i think there is lots of them...if 06 is for coolant temp...how about 07 and so on..?

Thanks!
here you go:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ght=rest+codes

01 In-car temperature sensor.
02 Outside temperature sensor.
03 Heater core temp, left.
04 Heater core temp, right.
05 Evaporator temperature sensor.
06 Engine coolant temperature.
07 Regrigerant pressure in bar (e.g. '4' is 4 bar).
08 Refrigerant temperature.
09 Not used.
10 Heater blower control voltage (normal 08-6.0, meaning .8 to 6 volts).
11 Emissions sensor voltage (to detect atmospheric gases and recirculate interior air).
12 Sun sensor voltage (to shift airflow in car).
20 Control current for auxilliary fan (electric fan on radiator, given in milliamps or mA).
21 Engine speed (x100).
22 Road speed (km/h or mph depending on installation).
23 Battery voltage at terminal 58d (as a percentage of total voltage, e.g. 99.0 = 99%).
24 Battery voltage (e.g. 12.8 = 12.8V).
40 Climate control software version.
41 Climate control hardware version.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:26 AM

W211 E55AMG
thank you chiromikey!

Old 04-20-2007, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by vrus

Thanks Victor...so I those temps are ussually higher or lower the on the temp display ???
Old 04-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Its not so much higher or lower but that the bars on the instrument cluster represent 3C - 5C in temp for each bar.

Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
Thanks Victor...so I those temps are ussually higher or lower the on the temp display ???