Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 E63 AMG - DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Alpina B7, 2010 BMW X5M, 2009 Nissan GTR
Exclamation 2010 E63 AMG - DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!

Hi guys,

I want to make everyone aware before they make a purchase of an E63 AMG that this car does not perform as it is advertised, and if you are looking to buy one and drive it to the limit you will be severely disappointed.

So I have some credibility, let me give you some backround information about myself. I have been racing cars professionally for over 7 years, mostly GrandAm (GT and Daytona Prototypes), some FIA GT, and a few other smaller series. I have owned and driven just about every kind of fast car out there, including the Bugatti Veyron. Out of all the cars I have driven, never have I experienced something like this...

First of all does anyone know how to put a 2010 E63 into dyno mode? I have looked online for hours, called around and got a few suggestions that have all failed. After completing the break-in period on my car, and now trying to push it to its capabilities I have realized that ESP OFF is hardly a "traction control off" button. This is extremely disappointing to me, as after watching numerous videos online of the car doing burnouts, and driving on the track I was very excited to purchase this car to replace my 2006 M5. Since then I have found out that only the European models allow the traction control to be completely shut off because apparently MBZ USA doesn't think that anyone who buys their cars in the US is capable of pushing them to the limit without crashing them. I had a terrible experience recently when I was in the middle of a drift on an awesome freeway on-ramp, the ESP turned itself back on, caused the car to erratically change directions and make a completely unpredictable maneuver that almost caused me to have an accident. Then the car started shaking violently, and would not stop. I thought at first I might have blown the differential, or even worse the transmission but since the wheels were still turning, and the car could shift through all 7 gears it wasn't that. I noticed that engine power was way down, and any application of throttle resulted in the shaking becoming severely worse. When I pulled over, the motor died, as a manual transmission would if you forgot to depress the clutch pedal or place it in neutral. I attempted to start the car again, and it started up fine and went back to normal. This means the car went into some kind of protection/limp mode, something I have never seen an N/A motor do before. I guess the car got scared. I have also noticed that when the car does start to spin the rear wheels, especially when a tail slide is initiated the ECU implements ignition retard, cutting power to the motor even when the throttle is engaged, causing the wheel spin to stop along with the fun.

Anyway, I was curious to try the dyno mode because evidently that disables all the systems, ESP, ABS, limp mode, etc. so I can enjoy my car as much as possible before Mercedes buys it back. I am very unsatisfied with this car, and do not want to continue owning it. I have already expressed my issues with it to MBZ and am awaiting a response from them. I have never returned a car so this is a new one for me. Hopefully, they will be willing to buy it back soon, because the next step for me is to put my GOPRO cameras all over it, take it to the track and demonstrate exactly what I have described here, post it on youtube and link every car enthusiast forum on planet earth to it so everyone can see for themselves. I promise that if I take it to that level it will drastically impact the sales of this vehicle.

If you are planning to buy this car to be a burn-out machine, drifting around corners with a smile on your face sedan like I was you will not be happy. If this doesn't matter to you then here are some other things about the car that I find to be laughable on a car that costs over $100k:

1. AMG button (similar to the ///M button) cannot be programmed with ESP off
2. Foot e-brake (instead of electronic e-brake)
3. Navigation system is worthless and 5 years behind any other car
4. No key memory for seat position/mirrors/steering wheel
5. No power folding mirrors (are you kidding me)
6. iPod cord in the glove box instead of arm rest console (also iPod cord doesn't charge iPod or iPhone... lol)
7. Backup camera is terrible, it's like looking through a drunk fish's eye
8. Park sensors are confusing, no visual aid on the Command screen
9. Integrated garage door opener malfunctions and erases stored codes about once a month for no reason

There is more, but I personally think that with these issues it is a no brainer to stay away from this car. I hope I have helped stop many others from the dissatisfaction that I have had to endure so far. Unfortunately, after this I don't think I will ever own another Mercedes-Benz in my life.

-Matt
Old 05-06-2010, 10:36 AM

09 c63 blk/blk H&R Springs & 08 e 63 blk/blk
What would you recommend instead? An M5 or GTR? Interesting point of view.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Never gone have as much pure fun in an E63 as in an M5 (unless stop light racing's your forte). The payoff is a better ride and smoother tranny...A little research prior to purchase would've saved you the trouble...

-Rob
Old 05-06-2010, 11:21 AM

2010 e63 Amg, Ferrari 430 Scuderia, BMW M3 Convertible, Maserati GTS
Originally Posted by racer m
Hi guys,

I want to make everyone aware before they make a purchase of an E63 AMG that this car does not perform as it is advertised, and if you are looking to buy one and drive it to the limit you will be severely disappointed.

So I have some credibility, let me give you some backround information about myself. I have been racing cars professionally for over 7 years, mostly GrandAm (GT and Daytona Prototypes), some FIA GT, and a few other smaller series. I have owned and driven just about every kind of fast car out there, including the Bugatti Veyron. Out of all the cars I have driven, never have I experienced something like this...

First of all does anyone know how to put a 2010 E63 into dyno mode? I have looked online for hours, called around and got a few suggestions that have all failed. After completing the break-in period on my car, and now trying to push it to its capabilities I have realized that ESP OFF is hardly a "traction control off" button. This is extremely disappointing to me, as after watching numerous videos online of the car doing burnouts, and driving on the track I was very excited to purchase this car to replace my 2006 M5. Since then I have found out that only the European models allow the traction control to be completely shut off because apparently MBZ USA doesn't think that anyone who buys their cars in the US is capable of pushing them to the limit without crashing them. I had a terrible experience recently when I was in the middle of a drift on an awesome freeway on-ramp, the ESP turned itself back on, caused the car to erratically change directions and make a completely unpredictable maneuver that almost caused me to have an accident. Then the car started shaking violently, and would not stop. I thought at first I might have blown the differential, or even worse the transmission but since the wheels were still turning, and the car could shift through all 7 gears it wasn't that. I noticed that engine power was way down, and any application of throttle resulted in the shaking becoming severely worse. When I pulled over, the motor died, as a manual transmission would if you forgot to depress the clutch pedal or place it in neutral. I attempted to start the car again, and it started up fine and went back to normal. This means the car went into some kind of protection/limp mode, something I have never seen an N/A motor do before. I guess the car got scared. I have also noticed that when the car does start to spin the rear wheels, especially when a tail slide is initiated the ECU implements ignition retard, cutting power to the motor even when the throttle is engaged, causing the wheel spin to stop along with the fun.

Anyway, I was curious to try the dyno mode because evidently that disables all the systems, ESP, ABS, limp mode, etc. so I can enjoy my car as much as possible before Mercedes buys it back. I am very unsatisfied with this car, and do not want to continue owning it. I have already expressed my issues with it to MBZ and am awaiting a response from them. I have never returned a car so this is a new one for me. Hopefully, they will be willing to buy it back soon, because the next step for me is to put my GOPRO cameras all over it, take it to the track and demonstrate exactly what I have described here, post it on youtube and link every car enthusiast forum on planet earth to it so everyone can see for themselves. I promise that if I take it to that level it will drastically impact the sales of this vehicle.

If you are planning to buy this car to be a burn-out machine, drifting around corners with a smile on your face sedan like I was you will not be happy. If this doesn't matter to you then here are some other things about the car that I find to be laughable on a car that costs over $100k:

1. AMG button (similar to the ///M button) cannot be programmed with ESP off
2. Foot e-brake (instead of electronic e-brake)
4. No key memory for seat position/mirrors/steering wheel
6. iPod cord in the glove box instead of arm rest console (also iPod cord doesn't charge iPod or iPhone... lol)
9. Integrated garage door opener malfunctions and erases stored codes about once a month for no reason

There is more, but I personally think that with these issues it is a no brainer to stay away from this car. I hope I have helped stop many others from the dissatisfaction that I have had to endure so far. Unfortunately, after this I don't think I will ever own another Mercedes-Benz in my life.

-Matt
I have to say, you sound a bit ... breathless on the whole thing. I drifted the car with no problem, but your car might be a lemon. Who knows. I suggest you put the camera on and impact the sales asap.

Especially, as it does not have an electronic parking brake. Good discovery, though. How many weeks did it take you to notice that? Good thing you will be rid of this crap vehicle soon. Think about the AMG button. The horror!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
This is why you never buy the first year of a new style !!!!!!! happened to me when i bought the first year new body style 745 LI with I Drive system .

Now my 2008 E63 is bad *** i must say ! And not one problem and this car takes a beating !

Wanna buy a 08 ???

Good Luck
Old 05-06-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by transferred
Never gone have as much pure fun in an E63 as in an M5 (unless stop light racing's your forte). The payoff is a better ride and smoother tranny...A little research prior to purchase would've saved you the trouble...

-Rob
Sorry, but that's false. The new e63 is much more playful than M5.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:40 PM

2011 Alpina B7, 2010 BMW X5M, 2009 Nissan GTR
Originally Posted by Krzysiek
I have to say, you sound a bit ... breathless on the whole thing. I drifted the car with no problem, but your car might be a lemon. Who knows. I suggest you put the camera on and impact the sales asap.

Especially, as it does not have an electronic parking brake. Good discovery, though. How many weeks did it take you to notice that? Good thing you will be rid of this crap vehicle soon. Think about the AMG button. The horror!
No need for sarcasm buddy. I noticed the e brake right away when I test drove the car, and it was something I could live with if the car performed the way it was advertised and shown in multiple test videos. Also most dealers don't appreciate if you try to boil the tires off and drift corners at high speed during the test drive, since it is reckless and the vehicle isn't yours. It took me 1200 miles to break in the car, during which I became aware of the lackluster technology, namely the terrible navigation system and some other features, or lack thereof. Now after 500 miles or so of spirited driving post break-in the car has been doing what I described earlier and I am over it. The point of this thread was to blow some steam off my chest as MBZ USA has not gotten back to me yet, after a week, on what they are going to do with my car, and also help other people who are looking at this car be aware of its shortcomings.

Have a nice day.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:08 PM

No need for sarcasm buddy. I noticed the e brake right away when I test drove the car, and it was something I could live with if the car performed the way it was advertised and shown in multiple test videos. Also most dealers don't appreciate if you try to boil the tires off and drift corners at high speed during the test drive, since it is reckless and the vehicle isn't yours. It took me 1200 miles to break in the car, during which I became aware of the lackluster technology, namely the terrible navigation system and some other features, or lack thereof. Now after 500 miles or so of spirited driving post break-in the car has been doing what I described earlier and I am over it. The point of this thread was to blow some steam off my chest as MBZ USA has not gotten back to me yet, after a week, on what they are going to do with my car, and also help other people who are looking at this car be aware of its shortcomings.

Have a nice day.
Well, i might understand your frustration better if you'd stay a bit more focused in your complaints. Trying to paint the car as the worst in the world from every corner comes across as driven by an agenda. Especially, as I don't see you making an effort to see if this is a design problem or the particular car's issue. Normally, somebody with a problem like yours would ask around on the forum to see if others had similar problems. You already seem to know and then you start talking about Navigation being terrible. So, sorry but you come across a bit full of it.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:23 PM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Sorry but it seems you set aside your objectivity before you started writing. On most of these things you're just splitting hairs.

Uh... real time traffic didn't exist 5 years ago in any car... The NAV is FINE. The only issue anyone might have is that it's a touch screen. I certainly like the NAV a whole lot better than what BMW (X5) or Land Rover (Range Rover) is offering up right now (two cars I own), and it's light years ahead of what's in the W211.

Are you kidding us? This is an issue?

I dropped my iPod into the glove box in November and have not touched it since... If you can afford $300K in cars in 3 years, you can pick up a used iPod for $35 bucks on EBAY and just forget about it and leave it in the glove box.

Which is pretty much standard in most cars. You should only be using it to eyeball low objects anyway.

Learn to park. How confusing are simple lights? Red means you're very close.

I've had mine for over 6 months - have not had that issue.

So yes, I agree with Krzysiek, you come accross a bit fill of it.

Last edited by IanSL55; 05-06-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
You sound like a MB car dealer and take EVERY comment about your precious E63 so personally...

-Rob
Old 05-06-2010, 04:45 PM

Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Chevrolet
Everyone has their opinion, and though yours is not positive, I respect it never the less.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by transferred
You sound like a MB car dealer and take EVERY comment about your precious E63 so personally...

-Rob
You are right. In a sense I do. I am out to defend the car's reputation. I also for a long time shared the (justified) opinion that BMW's are for drivers while mb's are for ... I will be polite here. Things have changed dramatically, though. I am horrified by BMW direction: turbocharging, massive weight, awd ! While mb is producing now some great driver's cars. Iwant to encourage them in their new-found dedication to driving enjoyment.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Hi guys,
-Matt
There is a SW fix out for that issue. STFF
Old 05-06-2010, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
YOu guys are truly blessed that you can afford lifes great automobiles .. That said i was a little bit sad that my 01' w210e55 didn't have the folding mirrors , but the Euro version does and thats 10yrs ago so i can see his anger to some extent when it comes down to all around features when paying over 100k .
Old 05-06-2010, 08:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
It can charge i pods and i phones.... this is mostly apples fault because every car company ran in to this problem because out of the blue apple decided to change the charge rate to
5V instead of 12V there is already a fix..

And it is possiable to disable complete traction in dyno mode not sure if you are in true dyno mode..
Old 05-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Given your prodigious talent piloting formidable sports cars, seems odd you’d choose a luxury barge for a “burn-out machine” or intent on “drifting around corners.”

You’ve been taken.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:52 AM

My ex-cars: 03 E55,04 C32, 05 C55 ,03 E320
Sorry, but I dont think the E63 is much more playful than the M5. I test drove an E63 last night and I drive the M5 a lot... Acceleration wise, the E63 is similar to the M5. Handling for the E63 is close but the M5 still handles better. I also forgot to mention the dash on the M5 is smooth leather and has alcantara headliner VS plasticky dash on the E63 and regular headliner. They really did cut back on cost from the W211 VS W212.

I'm not here to bash the E63 since it is a car I am currently considering (E63 or S550), the only things holding me back is knowing there are new engines coming (5.5 TT and the 4.7 TT).
Old 05-07-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by derrick_lui
Sorry, but I dont think the E63 is much more playful than the M5. I test drove an E63 last night and I drive the M5 a lot... Acceleration wise, the E63 is similar to the M5. Handling for the E63 is close but the M5 still handles better. I also forgot to mention the dash on the M5 is smooth leather and has alcantara headliner VS plasticky dash on the E63 and regular headliner. They really did cut back on cost from the W211 VS W212.

I'm not here to bash the E63 since it is a car I am currently considering (E63 or S550), the only things holding me back is knowing there are new engines coming (5.5 TT and the 4.7 TT).
Agree on the interior. Totally disagree on handling: I did not drive M5, but I drove M6 through a good chunk of Europe, including several laps on Nordschleife. Compared to e63, M6/M5 lacks steering feel and understeers like a pig. Look at AutoSport Hockeinheimring times:
e63 - 1.14.0
M5 - 1.16.5

M5 has a better top end power-wise, but transmission is much worse and so is the chassis. The car was great when it came out, but it was 5 years ago. E63 moved the game on.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:26 AM

Agree on the interior. Totally disagree on handling: I did not drive M5, but I drove M6 through a good chunk of Europe, including several laps on Nordschleife. Compared to e63, M6/M5 lacks steering feel and understeers like a pig. Look at AutoSport Hockeinheimring times:
e63 - 1.14.0
M5 - 1.16.5

M5 has a better top end power-wise, but transmission is much worse and so is the chassis. The car was great when it came out, but it was 5 years ago. E63 moved the game on.
Yes the SMG isn't as good as the E63 MCT, it gets really jerky when you drive aggressively. Yes the M5 is getting old, but i dont think the E63 moved the game on by much...although their 5.5 TT will make the E63 hands down winner if they get the engine.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by derrick_lui
Yes the SMG isn't as good as the E63 MCT, it gets really jerky when you drive aggressively. Yes the M5 is getting old, but i dont think the E63 moved the game on by much...although their 5.5 TT will make the E63 hands down winner if they get the engine.
And you don't think that because...You drove it once for 30 mins? You don't have to believe my impressions, but what do you think 2.5 sec difference at Hockenheim means? It's a tight track that favors agility over outright power (unlike Nordschleife). Where do you think the difference comes from?
Old 05-07-2010, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
when I was in the middle of a drift on an awesome freeway on-ramp,
Just sounds to me like you bought the wrong car for a drifting machine.

Shoulda got a Black Series brotha. Then you can drift on all the highway on/off ramps your heart desires.

ECU Nanny problems are something we have dealt with for years over here. Sorry to see you had to buy the car to discover it.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Just sounds to me like you bought the wrong car for a drifting machine.

Shoulda got a Black Series brotha. Then you can drift on all the highway on/off ramps your heart desires.

ECU Nanny problems are something we have dealt with for years over here. Sorry to see you had to buy the car to discover it.
Actually, you can drift it fine. I did not have any problems. So, I am not sure what the guy is talking about. Maybe some problem with his specific car.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:55 AM

2010 C63
troll
Old 05-07-2010, 11:58 AM

2015 ML63
I also raced proferssionally for 12 years in the same venues. I have had several of the cars mentioned above. I bought my W212 E63 because it was the best of two worlds, a quick sedan with a ton of luxury. I didn't expect this car to take the place of the Porsche I also own (which is for sale) but I felt is was a better option than the comparables. I read through the reviews and the Mercedes propaganda. I never once saw this car referred to as a burnout king or fancy drifter. I almost bought a CLK63 Black Series in place of this one. I feel that would have been more of what you were looking for....Just my two cents.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:20 PM

And you don't think that because...You drove it once for 30 mins? You don't have to believe my impressions, but what do you think 2.5 sec difference at Hockenheim means? It's a tight track that favors agility over outright power (unlike Nordschleife). Where do you think the difference comes from?
I dont argue the handling as I really cant throw many turns on a 30min test drive as opposed to driving an M5 for 4 years so lets leave it at that...we shall leave the E63 vs M5 debate for another thread.

As for "E63 DO NOT BUY THIS CAR"? I wouldnt tell people not to buy this car...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 E63 AMG - DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!