CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Wow! Don't drive the 63 Black unless ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Wow! Don't drive the 63 Black unless ...

... unless you're ready to buy it.

I had a chance to test drive one today and I can't believe what a monster it is. The car is so precise that you think, "No bleeping way is this a Mercedes."

The acceleration is exceptional but that's not what grabs you. The car is just built tight that you notice it before getting out of the parking lot. It's not a bit of exaggeration to say that you (at least I did) notice how connected the whole car is to your body before you hit 10 miles per hour.

When you get out on the road, the ride feels smooth and you can hear the power just waiting to explode. I drove down the street to the highway and didn't get a sense of the precision the car offers until accelerating down the on ramp. I was probably doing 80 when I started to take the first lane to my left, bear in mind that I drive a CL55 that's modded, so the torque and speed felt from 20 to 80 was nothing unusual. Then I started to take that lane and the CLK almost leaped across the highway! I was absolutely startled that the car responded so quickly. From that moment forward the car did nothing but sell itself. After settling at cruise of 70, I popped down 2 gears and hit 100+ with no drama at all. I commented to the sales guy, "that was a hundred" and he was visibly shocked. Did I mention that he sells Porsches and this was his first ride in the CLK?

From there we cruised a bit more until I got off the highway and hit a few corners, nose in, perfect follow through and great pick up coming out - the car was incredible. It wasn't a track technical turn but it was a good deal more crisp than my 996TT.

Then I pulled into an empty parking lot for a brake test and started at one end of the short side aiming at the curb on the other side at full throttle. I waited and waited until I saw the sales guy flinch, then paused an extra second and nailed the brakes. I stopped embarrassingly short of the curb. I thought it would be close but I had to be 20' short.

From there I encouraged the sales guy to take a turn and he was actually grateful to get behind the wheel. All I should say about his drive is that he was just flat out impressed.

I was really there (having already driven a Cayenne) as a screener for my wife and after getting back to the dealership I couldn't really focus on talking about the Cayenne deal because my mind was still back in the 63. It was just like chuck z said, "I can't wipe the smile off my face."

Now the lust has been kindled and I won't be happy until I scratch that itch. It's gonna' take a few months, but I've just gotta' have one.

For you guys that have the car already, congratulations on being so darn smart to buy it early. For you guys that don't have one, don't drive one until you're ready to buy!
Old 04-13-2008, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
damn
Old 04-13-2008, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
+1 ... damn

I was already considering it and now you almost sold me.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:21 AM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Downside

DFW01E55,

Thanks for the great write-up of your impressions!

By the way, there's only a couple of downsides to driving a CLK 63 Black Series that I have found . . .

1. All speed limits are way too low.

2. All other drivers are driving way too slowly, and always seem to be in the way.

I think the above insights are similar to the revelation I had when I finally discovered that everyone seemed to be driving very slowly
only on the days when I had over-amped on espresso!

The Black Series IS amazing.

JDB

Last edited by JDB; 04-13-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
Originally Posted by DFW01E55

It was just like chuck z said, "I can't wipe the smile off my face."
Great write up!

It really is one of those life altering automotive experiences! I get such a kick out of this car from the instant you push the button to fire it up and hear that exhaust rumble to the pin you in your seat accelleration to the instantaneous lane changes and yes it will stop on a dime. It is absolutely the most amazing car I have EVER driven. I highly recommend it.......
Old 04-13-2008, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Originally Posted by JDB
DFW01E55,

Thanks for the great write-up of your impressions!

By the way, there's only a couple of downsides to driving a CLK 63 Black Series that I have found . . .

1. All speed limits are way too low.

2. All other drivers are driving way slow, and always seem to be in the way.

I think the above insights are similar to the revelation I had when I finally discovered that everyone seemed to be driving very slowly only on the days when I had over-amped on espresso!

The Black Series IS amazing.

JDB
Dam... there goes the hood and the resale value....
Old 04-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was my first mistake.

Took a test drive and now have this itch don't won't go away. I'll eventually get one just a matter of time.

Gotta admit it's a pretty sweet car and being in southern cali with all the traffic this is just a perfect car.

Thanks for the write up.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
Originally Posted by JamE55
Gotta admit it's a pretty sweet car and being in southern cali with all the traffic this is just a perfect car.
whys that?
Old 04-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by Fantasm
whys that?
Notorious LA traffic.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
WOW

WOW, Mercedes has finally done it and with the C-CLASS of all Models....
Old 04-13-2008, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
Originally Posted by JamE55
Notorious LA traffic.
Right, but what about this car makes it good for traffic?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030

I had a chance to test drive one today and I can't believe what a monster it is. The car is so precise that you think, "No bleeping way is this a Mercedes."

The acceleration is exceptional but that's not what grabs you. The car is just built tight that you notice it before getting out of the parking lot. It's not a bit of exaggeration to say that you (at least I did) notice how connected the whole car is to your body before you hit 10 miles per hour.

When you get out on the road, the ride feels smooth and you can hear the power just waiting to explode. I drove down the street to the highway and didn't get a sense of the precision the car offers until accelerating down the on ramp. I was probably doing 80 when I started to take the first lane to my left, bear in mind that I drive a CL55 that's modded, so the torque and speed felt from 20 to 80 was nothing unusual. Then I started to take that lane and the CLK almost leaped across the highway! I was absolutely startled that the car responded so quickly. From that moment forward the car did nothing but sell itself. After settling at cruise of 70, I popped down 2 gears and hit 100+ with no drama at all. I commented to the sales guy, "that was a hundred" and he was visibly shocked. Did I mention that he sells Porsches and this was his first ride in the CLK?

From there we cruised a bit more until I got off the highway and hit a few corners, nose in, perfect follow through and great pick up coming out - the car was incredible. It wasn't a track technical turn but it was a good deal more crisp than my 996TT.

Then I pulled into an empty parking lot for a brake test and started at one end of the short side aiming at the curb on the other side at full throttle. I waited and waited until I saw the sales guy flinch, then paused an extra second and nailed the brakes. I stopped embarrassingly short of the curb. I thought it would be close but I had to be 20' short.

From there I encouraged the sales guy to take a turn and he was actually grateful to get behind the wheel. All I should say about his drive is that he was just flat out impressed.

I was really there (having already driven a Cayenne) as a screener for my wife and after getting back to the dealership I couldn't really focus on talking about the Cayenne deal because my mind was still back in the 63. It was just like chuck z said, "I can't wipe the smile off my face."

Now the lust has been kindled and I won't be happy until I scratch that itch. It's gonna' take a few months, but I've just gotta' have one.

For you guys that have the car already, congratulations on being so darn smart to buy it early. For you guys that don't have one, don't drive one until you're ready to buy!

LOL....... Amazing , I knew it had to be good but did not expect this glowing of a test drive. I love that you were telling the sales guy, "go ahead man push it , do it drive it it's ok" ROTFLMAO.

so now what?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
it is good at bobbing and weaving? dunno. traffic sucks in any car but you would look great in this car it stands out and sounds like it would be fun
Old 04-14-2008, 12:01 AM

2008 335i Coupe
'07 S2000 (gone)
'05 E55 AMG (gone)
'07 FJ Cruiser (gone)
'04 SL55 (gone)
'07 Jeep SRT-8 (gone)
'04 BMW M3 (gone)
'06 F-150 King Ranch (gone)
'91 300ZX TT (gone)
'90 300ZX NA (gone)

I think you need to address your car choices before you become so petulant!

Go drive the BS and answer your own questions! But don't drive it unless you are prepared to buy (as per OP's insights) one.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
Originally Posted by fickleone
2008 335i Coupe
'07 S2000 (gone)
'05 E55 AMG (gone)
'07 FJ Cruiser (gone)
'04 SL55 (gone)
'07 Jeep SRT-8 (gone)
'04 BMW M3 (gone)
'91 300ZX TT (gone)
'90 300ZX NA (gone)

Go drive the BS and answer your own questions! But don't drive it unless you are prepared to buy (as per OP's insights) one.

Did you not see that I am interested in buying this car? I asked him because I wanted to hear why he thought that about it. It would be very nice if it was great to drive in traffic, but before I account for it as fact or truth and take it into consideration in my decision, I want some information to substantiate his claim.

What is wrong with my car choices anyhow? I've liked every one of them except the S2000.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
2008 335i Coupe
'07 S2000 (gone)
'05 E55 AMG (gone)
'07 FJ Cruiser (gone)
'04 SL55 (gone)
'07 Jeep SRT-8 (gone)
'04 BMW M3 (gone)
'91 300ZX TT (gone)
'90 300ZX NA (gone)

Ya, what's wrong with his car choices? He has owned some of the all-time greats. The 91 TT Z is a classic, the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee is AWESOME, an SL55, an E55 and a 04 M3...these are some of the best vehicles available in their day and still demand respect.

WHAT DO YOU DRIVE?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Out Of Control!

I only say it's good for traffic because of where i live traffic is 80-90% heavy all the time and since the BS is auto you don't have to pop the clutch in and out so it's easier on your legs.

Again this is the condition around my area that's why i say the BS is a perfect balance for me.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:47 PM

There is nothing "wrong" with his car choices. However, they are all very different (in performance and purpose) when compared to the Black Series.

The only way (imo) to evaluate the Black Series (or opine, meaningfully, on its relative merits) is to drive it.

It is a great daily driver in traffic (auto) and a worthy, if not exact, comparison to a GT3 for track like performance. Especially when you apply multiple uses for the car (street and track).
Old 04-15-2008, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is nothing "wrong" with his car choices. However, they are all very different (in performance and purpose) when compared to the Black Series.

The only way (imo) to evaluate the Black Series (or opine, meaningfully, on its relative merits) is to drive it.

It is a great daily driver in traffic (auto) and a worthy, if not exact, comparison to a GT3 for track like performance. Especially when you apply multiple uses for the car (street and track).
I'll tell you what, the Black Series is not a great daily driver. Anyone who says it is is lying. The seats are snug, the ride is harsh, the torque is nearly unmanagable in stop and go, it's on or it's off. Your neck will be sore after a half hour of stop and go whiplash. Yes, it has some creature comforts, but I would never call it a good daily driver. The only advantage I see with this car over a GT3 is the fact that it is an automatic. Other than that it sucks as a driver in traffic.

That being said, it is as fun or more fun than anything out there, so I just deal with it.

Last edited by jrcart; 04-15-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by jrcart
I'll tell you what, the Black Series is not a great daily driver. Anyone who says it is is lying. The seats are snug, the ride is harsh, the torque is nearly unmanagable in stop and go, it's on or it's off.
Could most of that be a function of your considerable mods?

The seats are tight, I'm not sure anyone over 200lbs would enjoy them.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Could most of that be a function of your considerable mods?

The seats are tight, I'm not sure anyone over 200lbs would enjoy them.
If anything my new springs give it a better ride. I have hardly driven the car in stop and go traffic since the mods. I was refering to the car in it's stock form. Not my opinion of a comfortable or good daily driver. Like I said, I'm not knocking it, it's my favorite car. I will sacrafice a little comfort for lots of fun and performance. If you want comfort by a CL or S or a GT car, like a Maserati or Aston Martin, all of which can be had for around the same price as a Black Series, give or take a couple bucks, none of which are slouches either.

Last edited by jrcart; 04-15-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
I saw one at Motorworks of Barrington in IL...blk on blk and it was very nicely fitted even the roll cage in barely noticable if you can find it at all...the sales man was kind enough to let me and my son sit in it but I didn't want to get the itch so I just watched my son...very nice Benz!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c32used
I saw one at Motorworks of Barrington in IL...blk on blk and it was very nicely fitted even the roll cage in barely noticable if you can find it at all...the sales man was kind enough to let me and my son sit in it but I didn't want to get the itch so I just watched my son...very nice Benz!
Motorworks has a Black Series with a roll cage in it? Is it new or used? I have to see this.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by jrcart
Motorworks has a Black Series with a roll cage in it? Is it new or used? I have to see this.
Well it appears as a roll cage(if thats the right wording) anyways its noticable ONLY from the rear trunk...I believe its new...
Old 04-15-2008, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c32used
Well it appears as a roll cage(if thats the right wording) anyways its noticable ONLY from the rear trunk...I believe its new...
No, that's the rear strut tower brace. A roll cage/bar would be in the cockpit/passanger compartment, behind the seats...you would not miss it. You will see when you take a look ar mine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wow! Don't drive the 63 Black unless ...